Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone able to find a high output for the 2.8d? Seems like this alternator of ours is specific to the motor.

I saw somewhere GMC van has a 2.8d option and a ambulance package that has a 220 amp alternator. But I couldn't find any other relevant info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the tip. I was doing that as well. Doesnt seem like much is offered. I can just have a local shop hot rod mine.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Anyone able to find a high output for the 2.8d? Seems like this alternator of ours is specific to the motor.

I saw somewhere GMC van has a 2.8d option and a ambulance package that has a 220 amp alternator. But I couldn't find any other relevant info.
I don't know our current capacity, but it's easy to find aftermarket 3.6l alternators that put out 145 amps. So ours should be at least that beefy. FMI, what do you need ~2.6kw for? Not disputing you, and I don't keep up with high zoot sound systems and light packages, but what?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know about 1.21 gigawatts, but I am wiring up a 400 watt inverter plus some bed light for the truck bed. I am adding an extra 12v supply to the cab so the kid's 12v butt warmers turn off with the truck. Probably another 15 amps there. (I have the regular 12v aux port set to always on because charging phones n stuff, and those 12v ports are most convenient)

I'd love to go bigger on the inverter so I could run a saw without lugging my generator with me, but 400 needs a 35 amp supply plus 15 for lights. A 1500 needs at least 125 amps, so a beefier alternator for sure.

·
Registered
201 Posts
TheOtherOrange et. al.

Please think about the 12 volt wiring on your possible 1500W inverter. You'll want a negligible drop, so probably at least double jumper cable thickness, whether under the hood or elsewhere. There are charts for this.

I went thru this wanting to get ~400 extra watts at >12 volts back to the 3 way fridge on my Escape 5.0 TA bed hitch trailer, from my alternator. Using my existing wiring, I was dropping down to sub 12 volts, even starting out at ~13.8 volts. So, my trailer batteries always started out at sub par for boondocking. My solution, ~300 watts of RV roof top solar, will not be yours.

On the bright side, it's been awhile, but I remember checking and finding that the stock alternator is burly. Like 2.7 kw. Readers, feel free to set me straight...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ya, wire calculator to find correct wire size for sure. Don't want to burn down my truck. That said, 1500 isn't going in this week, just a 400. The reality for me is a saw from the truck bed is a nice to have, the 18v battery powered stuff seems to do good enough for what I do from my truck bed. Just need a charger and I'm hoping that 400 watt will be enough.

To your point though just the 50 amps to the truck bed takes an 8 guage wire. So I bought a set of 6 guage jumper cables to cannibalize.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts