Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo I have a high pitch whine in my canyon. It's been noticeable for a month or so now. It's not the turbo, the wife, or the kids. I don't think it's coming from the speakers, but since you can't really turn the audio system completely off, I guess it's hard to say for sure.

It sounds like a supercharger. In the passenger side foot well. Cruising at any speed, nothing. Accelerating or climbing a hill, it gets louder, and maybe slightly higher in pitch, but it mostly just gets louder and definitely correlates to engine LOAD, not RPM.

I thought maybe the injection pump was getting grouchy because my fuel filter life just touched the single digit percentages, but no change after replacing them. Seemed like a stretch anyway.

No CELs. No fault codes. Doesn't seem to be down on power. No funny smells. Haven't used it for anything beyond its normal duties. Everything showing within normal parameters for engine, trans, emissions, all of it when pulling live data.

Any ideas?

Registered
Sounds familiar, i had many of the same symptoms and sounds last summer.. turned out to be broken (missing) fins
on the turbo.. while mine also made noise under load and acceleration, i really noticed a drop in highway trailer towing fuel mileage. new turbo and assorted hoses and gaskets fixed the problem.. mine is a 2016 and i think the new turbo performs better than the last one ever did.

Registered
There鈥檚 nothing wrong with the turbo, it鈥檚 a boost leak at the turbo. Take it to the dealer and tell them to inspect all the bolts that connect the turbo to engine. A thousand bucks says one of those bolts it completely gone, that鈥檚 your problem. The new 鈥渇ix鈥 for this problem is a high temp lock tight. GM is aware of this issue. I hope that鈥檚 all it is for you, it was for me after three new turbos. Needless to say my dealer are pros at this issue because of my truck. Whenever they get a diesel with whine they know right where to look.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts