Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

261 - 280 of 321 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Also, like MadMac said, winter fuel will kill your mpg's. But still, if any of those other questions I previously asked are true then that could also be your problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In Florida, from Daytona to Lake Mary (before Orlando) - got 39.3 mpg avg. Cruise set at 70 mph mostly. No AC, no air dam, w/ leveling kit in front. I think I’ll get 600 miles on this tank after 150 hwy miles and the rest city. Incredibly fuel efficient in the right conditions. Love this little diesel. 16,000 miles and zero issues.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Is that 39.3 from the DIC on the truck or hand figured numbers? Because, if you got 39.3 mpg, then you should have covered over 800 miles at that rate then (39.3 x 21 gallons - the truck holds around 22+). I find that 39.3 hard to believe for a whole tank. especially if you are not deleted (not saying you're not, just don't know if you are). I see my DIC get way up there on MPG's at times, especially if you are watching the Last 25 mile or Last 50 mile screen too. The Last 450 is more realistic usually.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have gotten as high as 31.8 on the freeway, to and from the same place. I imagine if you put your cruise on 55, you could get 35 mpg or higher, but would piss off a lot of drivers flying around you. I got 70 mpg in my wife's diesel BMW, but it was all down hill from Palm Desert to Temecula. One thing I am disapointed about with the Colorado is going down a long hill, the transmission seems to want to brake instead of coast....my wifes BMW coasts great, and the mpg just jump up. I wish you could manually switch into 6th gear if the truck downshifts going down a hill, but it seems like you can only manually change gears in 4 Low....kinda a waste in my opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is that 39.3 from the DIC on the truck or hand figured numbers? Because, if you got 39.3 mpg, then you should have covered over 800 miles at that rate then (39.3 x 21 gallons - the truck holds around 22+). I find that 39.3 hard to believe for a whole tank. especially if you are not deleted (not saying you're not, just don't know if you are). I see my DIC get way up there on MPG's at times, especially if you are watching the Last 25 mile or Last 50 mile screen too. The Last 450 is more realistic usually.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hard to reply on my phone lol.. but that 39.3 was for a 40 mile stretch between Daytona and Lake Mary on I4. After Lake Mary you start to hit Orlando traffic. I was just really surprised that it went that high - and it was the average after 40 miles. I drive it mostly in the city so 150 miles of the tank was highway and the rest will be city... I’m still on this same tank and my average is like 30 after around 500 miles. Lotta numbers but I’m not exaggerating - this tank I think is my all time best

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Colorado has frustrated me on this. My Fuelly has a lifetime average for my Colorado of 20.4 over 25,000 miles. I'm lucky if I hit 19 average in town (I try and keep RPMs below 2000) and on long trips I might get 26 or so. I have a 120 mile trip that I do regularly that I usually get 25-26 but sometimes as low as 22mpg on. This is an 80mph Interstate that I can go the full distance without touching the brake, keep in mind but has a drop of about 800' elevation overall. I have another that's at 60mph and is coming out of the mountains so about a drop of 2500' and I'm excited to have 30 average when I get home.

My truck is a stock 2016 with the Wrangler tires.

My lease is coming to an end soon and I was initially planning on buying it out. Do these mpg numbers point to this being a low mpg anomaly?

·
Registered
554 Posts
My Colorado has frustrated me on this. My Fuelly has a lifetime average for my Colorado of 20.4 over 25,000 miles. I'm lucky if I hit 19 average in town (I try and keep RPMs below 2000) and on long trips I might get 26 or so. I have a 120 mile trip that I do regularly that I usually get 25-26 but sometimes as low as 22mpg on. This is an 80mph Interstate that I can go the full distance without touching the brake, keep in mind but has a drop of about 800' elevation overall. I have another that's at 60mph and is coming out of the mountains so about a drop of 2500' and I'm excited to have 30 average when I get home.

My truck is a stock 2016 with the Wrangler tires.

My lease is coming to an end soon and I was initially planning on buying it out. Do these mpg numbers point to this being a low mpg anomaly?
Honestly, that sound about right. The only way to get higher MPG is to slow roll from each stop and stay under 2K rpm and maintaining average speed around 60mph. Otherwise it’s just about right.

·
Registered
917 Posts
No, your truck should be broke in by now at 25k. Slowing down to 70 mph on the highway would help your mpg’s. Thus why at 60 mph like you said, you get 30 mpg. Just cause you can go 80 doesn’t mean you have to, if you want better mpg’s. Just saying. I would say that 26 mpg should be average though. When it dips down to 22 mpg is probably due to the truck going through a regen if I had to guess.

Best way to increase mpg’s? Slow down a little, and tune the truck (and delete if you can). Then they will go up. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No, your truck should be broke in by now at 25k. Slowing down to 70 mph on the highway would help your mpg’s. Thus why at 60 mph like you said, you get 30 mpg. Just cause you can go 80 doesn’t mean you have to, if you want better mpg’s. Just saying. I would say that 26 mpg should be average though. When it dips down to 22 mpg is probably due to the truck going through a regen if I had to guess.

Best way to increase mpg’s? Slow down a little, and tune the truck (and delete if you can). Then they will go up. Good luck.
Very true, it's just frustrating to see people get 30-32 on a 70mph drive and I might squeak out a 30 at 60 on a downhill so just trying to see if something's up. I've had to replace the particulate sensor 3 times already (almost every 8000 miles) so don't want there to be some underlying issue that relates all of this.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wonder how much tire pressure has to do with mileage? Up until now, 7000 miles, my tire pressure was about 35 psi, but would go down to as low as 31. Now, after my last oil change and tire rotation and they reset the tire pressure, it is 35 psi, but then goes UP to as high as 39 psi. I do not think I noticed a big difference, but just wondering out loud. I drive slower than I used to drive, because I feel if I paid for the diesel engine, might as well get as much benefit as I can out of it. I drive 72 mph, and if I need to pass someone, go up to 75 or so. I use cruise when I can.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Motor Trend is reporting 23.2/31.4/26.3 (mpg city/highway/combined) when they tested the Colorado Diesel.

I'm curious what everyone else is getting.

Post your numbers in here!
I get over 27 in the warm months and under 25 in the winter. Same drive course and no trailers

·
Registered
14 Posts
I get 30 plus with no load. A little reminder about our trucks: head wind and cross wind gets us. I have dipped down to 25 mpg just from head and cross winds.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Diesel tech has achieved 40.4 MPG At 72 MPH on cruise with a 2017 Colorado LT 4X4.
I have put mine on cruise at 72 mph going to and from a jobsite, RIGHT after filling up, and I have gotten 32 mpg at the most. I can believe 40, but probably a tailwind or down a slight grade........

261 - 280 of 321 Posts