Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A dealer has a used 2016 Colorado with the diesel. It has 205k on it. What is the mileage that becomes too much? TIA

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow, I’m not sure any North American user would know for this engine. But perhaps elsewhere in the world where the base engine has been in use longer...? That’s 10x as many miles as I have on my 2016.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It is encouraging to start hearing of high mileage examples. When researching buying my truck, I lurked in Aussie forums and there are Holdens over there with 400K miles on them. Of course the engines in those trucks are different than ours, but close cousins. Barring sudden mechanical failure which has been seen in some trucks (which a 205K mile truck would seem to be well past),

The question I would have with that truck - has the cam belt been changed? That is a big service. It will need other maintenance too of course due to the mileage. Would also like to see what the intake looks like on a stock 205K mile truck. That is a lot of oil and soot.

If the price is great and you don't mind some remedial work cleaning the intake and such, that could be a good buy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I have been looking into the "twins" as there called, but they are still having trans issues. So I looked into the diesels and the only issue I've read about is the regen if driving short trips. I like the mileage folks have been getting on the highway, compared to the gassers of all the small/mid sized trucks on the market. In the farming area I live in diesels are common place and I have heard of farmers getting very high mileages out of theirs as long as they are maintained. Since this is a newer engine I thought there might be some info from the members here. The truck referenced above is over priced at 18k, it books in the 11k - 13k.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you can get a "Virus Discount" go for it. The dealer has gotta want to sell that truck badly by now. Offer 10K and walk away when they say no. They will call you. Last time I pulled that stunt was 2007 when buying my wife's car. I was halfway home from the dealer when my cell phone rang. :cool:

Reactions: Burgess159

·
Registered
40 Posts
...So I looked into the diesels and the only issue I've read about is the regen if driving short trips...
And this isn't even an issue. Most of my trips in my 2016 2.8D are 10 minutes to the kids' elementary school and back. And occasional weekend trips to the Colorado high country. I don't have an engine monitor, and frankly don't really care when a regen occurs. The vehicle delivers on the promised MPG, and works as it needs to work. I've never seen that "keep driving until done with regen" message - so why worry? In stock form, it was getting 28-34 mpg highway (varies widely with terrain, wind, traffic conditions). Since doing a mild suspension lift and installing a camper topper, I'm down to 24-26 mpg highway (WY/CO interstate 50-mile rolling average).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And this isn't even an issue. Most of my trips in my 2016 2.8D are 10 minutes to the kids' elementary school and back. And occasional weekend trips to the Colorado high country. I don't have an engine monitor, and frankly don't really care when a regen occurs. The vehicle delivers on the promised MPG, and works as it needs to work. I've never seen that "keep driving until done with regen" message - so why worry? In stock form, it was getting 28-34 mpg highway (varies widely with terrain, wind, traffic conditions). Since doing a mild suspension lift and installing a camper topper, I'm down to 24-26 mpg highway (WY/CO interstate 50-mile rolling average).
Thanks for the input, I will have to put the diesel Colorado on my list of trucks to look at. My I ask what trim level you have?

·
Registered
85 Posts
A dealer has a used 2016 Colorado with the diesel. It has 205k on it. What is the mileage that becomes too much? TIA
My truck is a 2016 and has 172000 miles on it. I would only consider it if the service records on it were good. My truck runs great and I have had very few problems which were dealer inflicted mostly because no one knew how to service the thing. Most dealers did not have the oil filters when I needed oil change first time. I had one problem after transmission service but dealer didn't reprogram it right. Curious as to how much they are asking.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hmmmm . Tempting. I would if you have the ability to do routine service and are not afraid of replacing things as they Wear out.. ball joints and tie rods etc. It will make a great vehicle....
I'm going to have to start replacing ball joints and tie rods before too long.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts