Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

HOW TO PROGRAM TPS SENSOR WITHOUT TOOL ON 2017 LTZ 2,8 DURAMAX

10K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  rdh7 
#1 ·
I am asking for a friend who got into an accident and had to replace all his rims, now his display is saying " SERVICE TIRE MONITOR SYSTEM" is there any way to have this reprogram without a tool? and if he needs one is there a link or a site where he can purchase one?

#2 ·
#3 · (Edited)
I have NOT tested any of this! Also you will need either a TPS activation tool (Like the EL-50448 that forces the sensor to send a signal/code when placed next to the valve stem) OR an air compressor to refill the tires when using the low tech 'let air out until the sensor activates' way - here is what the Interwebs say:

Put vehicle in TPMS Learning Mode: NOTE: This is a wheel/position sensitive procedure, you must be working with the wheel its waiting for a signal from.
1. Turn ignition to 'on' and afterwards turn OFF the automatic headlights.
2a. (Newer Vehicles w/'Uplevel' DIC steering wheel navgation): Bring up the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) display on the Driver Information Center (DIC), then press and hold the center button (with the 'Check' symbol) on the navigation controls until 'Tire Pressure Learning Mode' is displayed.
2b. (Newer Vehicles w/'Base level' steering column stalk navgation): Bring up the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) display on the Driver Information Center (DIC), then press and hold the 'menu' button on the navigation controls until 'Tire Pressure Learning Mode' is displayed.
2c. (Older Vehicles - really older with none of the above): Press both Lock and Unlock buttons on the key fob at the same time until horn honks.

Turn signals will independently light for the tire you need to activate (pattern is LF>RF>RR>LR).

3a. Activation with TPMS reset tool place tool on rim of active tire (corner with turn signal light on) and press reset tool's TX button until horn honks.
3b. Activation w/o activation tool - Let air out of the active tire (corner with turn signal light on) until the TPMS sends a low air pressure (activation signal) and horn honks - MUST ADD AIR AGAIN.

And of course if you end up paying about $12-28 for a TPMS reset tool or four flat tires remember the first line where I said I have not tried any of this :) Personally I would buy the EL-50448 reset tool because you will want to rotate tires etc. and the tool is cheap.

#4 ·
Put vehicle in TPMS Learning Mode - (Done after every tire rotation/change as tire location is sensitive).

1. Turn ignition to 'on' and afterwards turn OFF the automatic headlights

2. Press both Lock and Unlock buttons on the key fob at the same time until horn honks. Turn signals will independently light for the tire you need to activate (pattern is LF>RF>RR>LR).

3a. Activation with TPMS activation tool place tool on rim of active tire (the corner w/flashing turn signal) and press TX button until horn honks.

3b. Activation without activation tool (the poor man's method) - Let air out of the active tire (the corner w/flashing turn signal) until the TPMS sends a low air pressure (activation) signal and horn honks - HAVE A COMPRESSOR HANDY AS YOU MUST ADD AIR AGAIN.
So, the 3B method, you just go LF, RF, RR, LR letting air out of the tires in that order to make it learn the tires?

#8 ·
Update: Just tried the "3b" method above on my '17 CCLBZ712.8 and it does not work; regardless of how fast you let the air out at the corner the turn signal light is lit at. I have the uplevel DIC and once I initiate learning mode, after about a minute it leaves learning mode back to the four box pressures display. Then within another minute or so it tells me with a new warning window that the tire has low pressure but it doesn't link the low pressure to the learning mode corner. Buy or borrow the TPMS "phone home" tool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.