Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
You have an excellent question. The 80 oz bottles I buy treat 250 gals so the Power Service protocol would be 6 oz/20 gals. EVERY fill up I use 10 oz as marked on the bottle hash marks which are at 20 oz . My INCORRECT reference to 20 oz was because I had fueled earlier that day at a station where there was a good price, but I just had suspicions about the fuel.They were receiving fuel at that moment, and when I made conversation with the tanker driver, he told me they usually take diesel every other delivery at the request of the station owner. That made me a bit concerned about the fuel I was going to pump, so I added 10 oz more.

Unfortunately, my post reflected my 'worries', and I wrote 20, which is what I actually put in then versus the 10 I 'always' put in.

My error and thanks for bringing it to my attention.

For what it's worth, until I retired and sold out, I had a 12 truck fleet of class 8 tractors and 26 flats and reefers and my standing protocol was to put an 80 oz bottle in every fueling which in our fleet averaged 90-120 gals. Diesel Kleen is, to my knowledge, the only fuel additive recommended by Cummins and the entire fleet of Freightliners has a Cummins X15. I also use Diesel Allen in my Coach.

Thx again for catching MY ERROR!

·
Registered
577 Posts
You have an excellent question. The 80 oz bottles I buy treat 250 gals so the Power Service protocol would be 6 oz/20 gals. EVERY fill up I use 10 oz as marked on the bottle hash marks which are at 20 oz . My INCORRECT reference to 20 oz was because I had fueled earlier that day at a station where there was a good price, but I just had suspicions about the fuel.They were receiving fuel at that moment, and when I made conversation with the tanker driver, he told me they usually take diesel every other delivery at the request of the station owner. That made me a bit concerned about the fuel I was going to pump, so I added 10 oz more.

Unfortunately, my post reflected my 'worries', and I wrote 20, which is what I actually put in then versus the 10 I 'always' put in.

My error and thanks for bringing it to my attention.

For what it's worth, until I retired and sold out, I had a 12 truck fleet of class 8 tractors and 26 flats and reefers and my standing protocol was to put an 80 oz bottle in every fueling which in our fleet averaged 90-120 gals. Diesel Kleen is, to my knowledge, the only fuel additive recommended by Cummins and the entire fleet of Freightliners has a Cummins X15. I also use Diesel Allen in my Coach.

Thx again for catching MY ERROR!
Thank you for the clarification. I just picked up some diesel Kleen from my buddy and he told me to use 8-10 oz per tank. I will be putting it in on my next fill-up, which is in a few weeks. I only need to fill up every Couple months.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've switched over to Hot Shot's Secret, it has made a noticeable difference in my truck. I am using their Every Day Treatment (EDT) for Diesel, their Diesel Extreme Clean fuel additive (once every oil change), and their Stiction Eliminator oil additive. I have felt a difference in both my TDI and baby D-Max. They have become my go to, I would recommend giving them a try.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've switched over to Hot Shot's Secret, it has made a noticeable difference in my truck. I am using their Every Day Treatment (EDT) for Diesel, their Diesel Extreme Clean fuel additive (once every oil change), and their Stiction Eliminator oil additive. I have felt a difference in both my TDI and baby D-Max. They have become my go to, I would recommend giving them a try.
That is worth a try. After how many tanks do you start to feel the difference?

·
Registered
577 Posts
That is worth a try. After how many tanks do you start to feel the difference?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hot Shot is another brand to consider. I use their Extreme Fuel Boost in the tank every oil change (8 oz for the Colorado and 16 oz for my Coach). Oils, once you decide on a brand and weight which suits you (and your motor), are basically very consistent from bottle to bottle. Fuel, in my opinion, falls a bit short of that consistency of quality, so I like using a fuel treatment to help my motor! I don't know/feel any difference, and I am not looking for that. I am trying to keep the cetane and lubricity values at or above where they need to be.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I assumed you bought it new. Yes the filter is designed to separate water. Biodiesel is hygroscopic which means it holds water and can absorb it from the air.

You may have not intentionally put any other fuel in it, however if you let a friend, family or spouse drive the vehicle they could have. It's also possible the fuel could be contaminated at the station itself. It's best to save fuel reciepts just in case.

For example, it is common practice with VW to test the diesel fuel if a TDI HPFP goes bad. In fact, I helped a guy out with a 2012 Passat TDI that had a HPFP failure and VW denied warranty coverage because of fuel contamination, but VW would not provide any specifics why. He was on the forum asking for help because he did not know what to do and was being victimized by VW. I instructed him to send in a sample of fuel and it was determined to be B10 which is above the B5 rating for that generation of TDI. Every other constituent in the fuel was acceptable except the % of biodiesel was above the maximum allowed by VW. To make matters worse, he was in illinois which has a biodiesel mandate, but does not have any labeling requirement. So it is almost impossible to know if the fuel your getting is B5, B10 or B20.

He got a lemon law attorney and VW fixed his car. It was almost $10K repair which is why VW didn't want to pay for it. I do not know the specifics about GM or how they will handle it but I'm just providing some information to help you out.

Good luck.
I put power service in mine every fill up I at least use the fuel cleaner every time helps keep tank clean and keep the water content lower

·
Registered
47 Posts
@RollyPollieBenito I think it is a cumulative effect. I started with their extreme clean, but did not notice an immediate difference. When I started adding EDT, I felt like the I was getting a slight boost in fuel economy and my startup was A LOT smoother. Then, I added the Stiction Eliminator while changing the TDI oil, it made such a difference that I changed my Duramax's oil with about 35% of its interval remaining. Combined, both vehicles just feel smoother. It is highly subjective, I know, but I am even going to replace my differential fluids with Hot Shot brand 75W-90 and my Transfer case fluid with Hot Shot ATF. If I notice a major improvement, I will likely use either their ATF in my transmission or at least use their ATF additive with DEXRON VI (AC Delco brand because Mobil brand DEXRON VI is not synthetic???). More to follow, I will update and start a new thread with the results I notice.

·
Registered
577 Posts
@RollyPollieBenito I think it is a cumulative effect. I started with their extreme clean, but did not notice an immediate difference. When I started adding EDT, I felt like the I was getting a slight boost in fuel economy and my startup was A LOT smoother. Then, I added the Stiction Eliminator while changing the TDI oil, it made such a difference that I changed my Duramax's oil with about 35% of its interval remaining. Combined, both vehicles just feel smoother. It is highly subjective, I know, but I am even going to replace my differential fluids with Hot Shot brand 75W-90 and my Transfer case fluid with Hot Shot ATF. If I notice a major improvement, I will likely use either their ATF in my transmission or at least use their ATF additive with DEXRON VI (AC Delco brand because Mobil brand DEXRON VI is not synthetic???). More to follow, I will update and start a new thread with the results I notice.
I will be following your post. As for right now, since I already have power service, I will use it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all. First post here. It’s been a useful place for info so far. Here’s my situation. 2020 Z71 sbcc. Threw a fuel code with about 5000mi on it. Code cleared itself, dealer said my fuel might have gelled, because the light came on at 32*. Fast forward now at 9000mi. Start truck one morning, it idled rough for a minute, then died. Repeated this 5 times that morning. Take it in, they don’t know what went wrong, referred it to engineering, they don’t know what happened either. So they are replacing the HPFP, fuel regulator, fuel rail, and filters, even though it’s currently running just fine. From now on I will be using a diesel additive, but I’m just curious what the issue is here. I bought this thing over a Tacoma believing it would be reliable and last me 15yrs. My confidence isn’t so high anymore. Curious to hear theories. Thanks.
Hello all. First post here. It’s been a useful place for info so far. Here’s my situation. 2020 Z71 sbcc. Threw a fuel code with about 5000mi on it. Code cleared itself, dealer said my fuel might have gelled, because the light came on at 32*. Fast forward now at 9000mi. Start truck one morning, it idled rough for a minute, then died. Repeated this 5 times that morning. Take it in, they don’t know what went wrong, referred it to engineering, they don’t know what happened either. So they are replacing the HPFP, fuel regulator, fuel rail, and filters, even though it’s currently running just fine. From now on I will be using a diesel additive, but I’m just curious what the issue is here. I bought this thing over a Tacoma believing it would be reliable and last me 15yrs. My confidence isn’t so high anymore. Curious to hear theories. Thanks.
Did you try draining water from the fuel filter assembly? Get 2 liter soda bottle. Cut the top off where it gets to full diameter. Open the yellow ish little drain plug. Drain fuel/water from the filter housing. If there is much more then a half inch of water in the bottom of the bottle then you have a water problem. Water could have froze in the filter housing and cause the issues.

when done just turn the key on for a minute and then turn it off. Then back on for another minute. This will prime the system. I might run rough for a minute after you restart the first time until all air is out of the fuel system. Totally normal.

Or your fuel gelled due to the cold. There are additives for that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I will be following your post. As for right now, since I already have power service, I will use it.
Power service was my go to for anti-gel & cetane booster fuel additives.... Don't plan to buy again after using Hot Shots, but I will update, hopefully my gut feeling is right. Check out their website, they have 3rd party testing and everything they say (thought marketing) sounds legitimate.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Throw my $.02 for what it's worth. I still have a '99 diesel suburban with 300+K on the 6.5TD. Since new it's always had Standyne Performance additive put in. At about 150K I started adding a mixture of Standyne Lubricity at a ratio of 2:1, Performance to Lubricity. For the 6.5TD among one of it's many flaws was that the early Gen 1-3 injector pump would fail due to lack of lubricity in the fuel. As they changed to LSD and then ULSD this became more of the problem for the 6.5TD injector pump. Standyne was the manufacturer of the injector pump FWIW, I think they are the only pump manufacturer that makes diesel fuel additives.They are also recommended by GM, Ford and Dodge among others.

Fast forward to my Colorado. I have no data using it in the Colorado as I've only filled up three times now so nothing to compare to. I had checked and I know Standyne is safe to use in the 2.8-Max. Performance formula is probably all the 2.8-Max needs. It boosts Cetane, adds lubricity and is a water emulsifier. I was buying Performance and Lubricity for the 6.5TD in 1/2 gallon containers and mixing it myself, I still have a couple gallons left. Again, I added Lubricity to the mix when they started selling ULSD. I haven't looked in my diesel supplement to see if Standyne is listed in the manual, it as for my 6.5TD. My plans are to use up my mixture of Perormance+Lubricity until my supply of Lubricity runs out and then just use Performance. 8oz treats 30 gallons so you want to split the bottles in half or so.

·
Registered
98 Posts
...Performance formula is probably all the 2.8-Max needs. It boosts Cetane, adds lubricity and is a water emulsifier...
Like all high quality additives, Stanadyne (a great choice by the way) is a water demulsifier, not emulsifier. Nit picky I know, but it is an important distinction. We want the water separated out (demulsified) so it can be caught in the filter box. Emulsified water (in suspension in the fuel) will destroy the injection system. I dunno if anybody even sells an emulsifier anymore, but if they do, avoid emulsifiers like the plague.

Our 2.8s do love a little cetane boost and adding lubricity is always a good idea. The cold rattle at startup goes away and it does run smooth as can be with a little bump over the basic 40 cetane swill most stations seem to sell.

The one fuel I have come across that seems to be higher cetane and really nice to run right out of the pump is Sinlcair's DinoCare diesel. With some additive, the swill I buy from my local high volume station (which is why I go there) runs just as well. It is good clean water free 40 cetane swill, it just needs a little help :LOL:

Turbodiverart's high mileage positive experience with a sensitive fuel system is a great testimony for the effectiveness and need to run quality fuel additives. The extra cost of the additive is more than made up for many times over with the savings in repairs and frustration :cool:

21 - 34 of 34 Posts