Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A-I wanted better gas mileage from a truck.
B-I wanted a better truck to tow with.
C-I like the look.
D-Other

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
A and B:

Wanted something that would get better fuel economy than a half ton gas truck, but could also still tow a utility trailer easily.

·
Registered
127 Posts
A and D

Diesels are just cool ! I love my 6.6 so why not get the smaller one that’s more everyday friendly. (Can’t wait to tune this little guy)

·
Registered
4 Posts
A&B. Living on and operating a boat with multiple diesel engines over 20 years may have something to do with it....Or driving a Tractor Trailer OTR for the previous 2 years.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A & D - I wanted the best fuel efficiency in a body-on-frame 4x4 (with transfer case). Mainly a luxury for off pavement overlanding and high mileage family road trips, turbo goodness at high altitudes (where normally aspirated engines wheeze in thin air), the utterly composed feeling of a torquey low rev engine, and ideally a very long ownership experience hopefully backed up by super resale value (but I don’t anticipate ever selling). And I was not hung up on whether mileage translated into dollar savings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A and B
I drive the Alaska hiway every year, with a 600 lb. pop up camper in the back of the truck.
After many years doing this drive in a Tacoma, the last 2 have been in a 2017 crew cab, Colorado. The diesel torque is so much better, and I make 1/3 less fuel stops vs. the Tacoma. Love the truck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
A and B and D. Other being a vehicle that has off-road capabilities. It is not an FJ, but with A and B in the mix, it is a pretty sweet FJ replacement for me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, it seems like nobody is thrilled with the look of the truck? I liked the look of my Pro4X Frontier better, but at 15 mpg, I can overlook the boring exterior of the Colorado to get over 25 mpg.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Too funny. I love the look of the Colorado. Although I think the lean, chiseled side appearance of a new Taco is a bit more appealing than Chevy's slab sides. But you didn't ask why I bought a Colorado over another pickup model. You asked why I chose the diesel. Actually, you asked why I chose the Diesel.
Looks are important. But if the best answer to my needs (best fuel efficiency on a mid-to-large body-on-frame 4x4 with a transfer case) turned out to be a hippopotamus (Infinity QX80), and it was a similar price point, I would have strongly considred the hippo (but I'm quite proud to drive an American vehicle)...

·
Registered
5 Posts
A = No comparaison with my old 4,6l triton towing or not towing .
B = Tow more easily than my old 4,6l .
C = I like the Canyon look .
D = I can wash it in my garage and work all around with out touching it or a wall behind . I can stay sit for many hours with out pain to my back and knees .

·
Super Moderator
384 Posts
A and D Wanted to try something different and the milage was a plus. EPA has been a buzz kill.

·
Registered
70 Posts
A C D C - just couldn't help myself. I like their music...

A. I wanted better fuel economy especially after a lift and bigger tires
C. I like how the Crew Cab Canyon Longbed looks and the Diesel hood and grill look good
D. Better resale value and hopefully longer life with a diesel
C. Looks great and unique with all the extra stuff I did to it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's my cash register..
A . Fuel economy ... I get paid for my miles
B. Something i can tow the John Deere 1025 with
C. It looks great and the size is perfect for what I do
D. Eventually this truck will be my off-road project truck.

·
Super Moderator
384 Posts
A, C, and D. The other was just wanting to see what the 2.8 Diesel was all about. When I saw the truck and drove it, I was sold. The milage is a factor, but I really wanted a mid size truck to replace my Sierra, which I think have gotten comically huge in size for no good reason.

·
Registered
18 Posts
D, C, A, respectively. D: Upgraded from a '95 S10 L4. I really like a smaller overall size compared to the Silverado. So many of the parking spots here in California are being narrowed. Also went from 2WD to 4WD for skiing, camping. Needed some torque to tow a small travel trailer for my nearing retirement. Interior comfort and braking performance are better. Easy to wash, clean, maintain. C: Nice proportions. A: Great mileage; easily obtainable fuel source.

·
Registered
167 Posts
A - I was out driving the back roads and the milage was climbing like crazy.
after an hr it was showing 35mpg. That is amazing. Why would anyone want a gas truck that gets in the low 20s.

Diesel here is cheaper than gas. And this thing tows like a big truck.

personally I think the front grill is weak in the looks department. But on the other hand the Canyon is just to in your face. To over the top.

Diesel truck sales are falling fast.
with all the talk of how dirt diesel is and die fuel being more expensive than gas in the USA
sales are falling.
The fact is diesel is much cleaner than gas engines.
And they use 30% less fossil fuel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts