Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an ARMY Combat Veteran, a has been SSG combat engineer and proud of it. I just purchased a new Colorado minimax! Very happy with it so far only 2000 miles. Pulled my tractor with ease. I just installed a 3" front strut spacer kit and 2.5" rear blocks. Now I get a vibration at 20-40 MPH, still working it out. I ordered a sway bar drop kit, a differential drop kit, and rear 2.5 degree shims. Surely one of these will correct the issue. But I am infatuated with this truck. I traded my GMC 2500 6.6 duramax for this and I was afraid I would regret it but now that I've had it a few weeks I have no regrets at all. Any ideas or suggestions for customization ideas are welcomed. I really hope that joining this group allows me to help others and maybe receive some great advice as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am an ARMY Combat Veteran, a has been SSG combat engineer and proud of it. I just purchased a new Colorado minimax! Very happy with it so far only 2000 miles. Pulled my tractor with ease. I just installed a 3" front strut spacer kit and 2.5" rear blocks. Now I get a vibration at 20-40 MPH, still working it out. I ordered a sway bar drop kit, a differential drop kit, and rear 2.5 degree shims. Surely one of these will correct the issue. But I am infatuated with this truck. I traded my GMC 2500 6.6 duramax for this and I was afraid I would regret it but now that I've had it a few weeks I have no regrets at all. Any ideas or suggestions for customization ideas are welcomed. I really hope that joining this group allows me to help others and maybe receive some great advice as well.
I'm an active duty veteran, was out for almost 6 years then went into the guard and now I am 11 months from retirement. I am also a Leo for my everyday job.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I

·
Registered
84 Posts
First, and hopefully this doesn't sound trite, Thanks for your service. 24 years myself. Started as a lied-to 21 year old recruit and 19D(D3) Bradley Gunner. But my objective was flying. So I went to Fort Rucker in 1983. Retired in 2004 as a CW4 UH-60/AH-1/OH-58 Standards pilot. Anyway, picked up a 2016 white Colorado HD with everything except the Z71 badging, and presumably the sport suspension. Love it. Getting as many as 43 MPG but average 32. My drive is typically a 62 mile highway commute. No real issues except the dealer doesn't seem to stock 2.8 diesel parts so services are two step process. I had a vibration at 70 plus MPH, but the dealer re indexed the tires and rims, aligned the suspension and no issues. That was about 11000 miles ago.
Look into idparts.com for filters and basic parts. Reasonable prices, usually in stock and great customer service. Great resource is you're going to do your own basic services.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First, and hopefully this doesn't sound trite, Thanks for your service. 24 years myself. Started as a lied-to 21 year old recruit and 19D(D3) Bradley Gunner. But my objective was flying. So I went to Fort Rucker in 1983. Retired in 2004 as a CW4 UH-60/AH-1/OH-58 Standards pilot. Anyway, picked up a 2016 white Colorado HD with everything except the Z71 badging, and presumably the sport suspension. Love it. Getting as many as 43 MPG but average 32. My drive is typically a 62 mile highway commute. No real issues except the dealer doesn't seem to stock 2.8 diesel parts so services are two step process. I had a vibration at 70 plus MPH, but the dealer re indexed the tires and rims, aligned the suspension and no issues. That was about 11000 miles ago.
Look into idparts.com for filters and basic parts. Reasonable prices, usually in stock and great customer service. Great resource is you're going to do your own basic services.

Thank you for your service. sorry you had an issue with your truck, I'm glad they figured it out. I still love mine.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm an active duty veteran, was out for almost 6 years then went into the guard and now I am 11 months from retirement. I am also a Leo for my everyday job.
I spent 5 years in the Corps... Took a 15 year leave of absents before going back in. ( The Kansas National Guard ) I am also an LEO for my full time job. (over 20 years) I have about 6 more years until I can retire from both. ( but probably wont )

Thank you Backwoodssob and Sappergod for your service.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I spent 5 years in the Corps... Took a 15 year leave of absents before going back in. ( The Kansas National Guard ) I am also an LEO for my full time job. (over 20 years) I have about 6 more years until I can retire from both. ( but probably wont )

Thank you Backwoodssob and Sappergod for your service.
Thank you for your continued service, I wish I could still be servingGod has a plan.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've served 21yrs. in the USAF and retired as an E-6 TSGT heavy maint. and flying C.C. on C-141A & B aircraft, C-5A aircraft, C-130 aircraft, and last but not least, KC-135 aircraft. Just purchased a 17' black ZR2 and have only 1000mi. on it and love the heck out of it so far. Traded a 04' JEEP TJ RUBICON w/ 142,000mi. on it, and I have to admit that this truck is way more comfortable and rides much better, just hope it's as reliable as it was so MOAB here I come!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I saw this seem inspiring

Hey Steven, thanks for the message. You are correct, at this time we don't have the diesel compatible kits available, but the revised kits will be available soon to allow them to be used on both diesel and gas trucks. Our sister company Zone Offroad offer a 5.5" lift for the Colorado/Canyon as well, compatible with both the diesel and gas trucks. There are a number of differences in the kit designs that make their kit more affordable than ours. At 5.5" you are right at the threshold of needing to index your front driveline to correct keep from having driveline vibrations, the BDS kits include the indexing ring, the Zone kits don't. The design of the crossmembers is different, with BDS using laser cut, high clearance crossmembers and Zone using a more basic design. BDS uses different diff drop brackets that are designed to keep the CV axle angles at a minimum even with the coilovers installed (coilovers will sit the trucks up at 6" of lift). The skid plate and several other small components are different between the BDS and Zone kits as well. BDS comes with the "No Fine Print Warranty" where Zone uses the more tradition "limited lifetime warranty". Both the BDS and Zone kits are only offered with rear 4" block kits at this time. If you're looking for rear leafs we suggest Atlas Springs, they offer rear spring packs compatible with our front lifts to level the stance and improve tow capacity.

This was a conversation I had with the techs at BDS. It is worth the wait

·
Registered
23 Posts
BDS NEWS UPDATE

I just got done talking with them and it is now available for the DIESELS below is the conversation I had with them

(We got word from engineering earlier this week that the diesel/gas compatible kits are on the shelf ready for ship, I'm in the process of working on an announcement to send out now, you beat me to it
)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings and Salutations, everyone. I just retired with 20+ years active duty in the Army out of JBLM, WA.

Got myself a gift, the “2019 Colorado Duramax”, to help me readjust into civilian living. Figure a few road trips up and down the Pacific Coast for starters, then make my way east and back. May as well make the most of retirement, right?

Looking forward to staying informed about the truck so as to make the most of it. Take care, everyone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
29+ years in Navy uniform, 3 reserve, 26 active. Retired a couple years ago. Now providing the Navy with aviation gear and back in TX.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts