Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
so what you're saying is that Chevy totally under reported the numbers. 180/384 is basically what they advertised and that is usually at the flywheel so you'd typically see a 15-20% drivetrain loss on a dyno. Isn't the high output map from DT still under 500ft/lb's? I'm just a little surprised to see damn near 700 on a truck with just a tune and delete in comparison. I'm sure the truck is beast, but those numbers seem high to me. I'm not saying he's making it up, just that dyno numbers can be all over the place between different machines and such. I'd be interested to see how well the transmission holds up to those kind of numbers that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
so what you're saying is that Chevy totally under reported the numbers. 180/384 is basically what they advertised and that is usually at the flywheel so you'd typically see a 15-20% drivetrain loss on a dyno. Isn't the high output map from DT still under 500ft/lb's? I'm just a little surprised to see damn near 700 on a truck with just a tune and delete in comparison. I'm sure the truck is beast, but those numbers seem high to me. I'm not saying he's making it up, just that dyno numbers can be all over the place between different machines and such. I'd be interested to see how well the transmission holds up to those kind of numbers that's for sure.
Im no expert, but I think one factor you've misjudged is nowadays drivetrain losses are much, much smaller. They're very very efficient at getting the power to the road. I would say the drivetrain losses are closer to negligible nowadays. They do everything they can to be effieicnt, even running electric steering boxes. I wouldn't be surprised if it's true that you're seeing very close to what the manufacturer spec'd making it to the wheels.

On the spade I watch the PIDs because it's fun and you can see the transmission working, the torque converter is slipping only a few rpms running nearly locked up most of the time once you get moving.

That being said, I think that dyno is reading high on the torque number, but so does mrbones

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I do think a 700 torque number seems high. I know Mr. Bones doesn't have Duramax Tuner tunes, but theirs is right at 460 ft/ lbs on the Performance Tune, according to their website. If you watch one of the videos that they posted, they do say that GM left a lot on the table with the engine and transmission potential, which DT said they capitalized on. I do think though that putting that straight pipe on there and letting the truck breath easier would most definitely help. I don't know about 700, but perhaps 600 would not be out of sight to me.

I do think that if you also did an EGR delete (don't think Mr. Bones has done that; his tuner has disabled his, but the EGR is still there), it would help even more. I know it's a different truck, but there on my 2004 Duramax, I had had a straight pipe for a long time and the truck ran good with a Hypertech 3 programmer. I finally switched over to DuramaxTuner tunes (this was when they still would tune out/ support deleting emissions) so I could delete the EGR and the truck ran even better, but when I finally removed the EGR system, it was a total difference. There was no lag whatsoever when you tapped the accelerator. Having just the straight pipe and then the DT tuner on the truck really helped, but I think you have to get rid of all the emissions stuff (not just turn it off) to get the truck to really run.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Yes dyno was definitely off, at least for the autos, manuals they were getting a little closer. One of my friend's truck was there, has other dyno sheets to prove a 1k hp truck and he only made 700, then another friends duramax made 500/1400 which was definitely not right, not that kind of a gap on a duramax. I've been talking to another guy that has done a lot of testing with his 2.8, from tuning and dyno wise and his favorite tunes are from Aaron and he put down 265/550 with them. There's a more accurate local dyno by me that i plan on going to eventually when he says he is ready to do diesels. But it was still fun, and people got to see a truck they didn't even know existed and all the money went to a good cause.

I have not done the egr delete yet, just with the tuning. I believe motor ops is who makes a kit and it's around $100 but I've heard it's about an 8 hour job to install.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'd be happy with 265/550 all day. I had an 09 X5 diesel, I'd be happy if I could get to those power levels with the Colorado. I think it was 265/425 of course it was twin turbo 6 cylinder, but man I loved that thing.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I'd be happy with 265/550 all day. I had an 09 X5 diesel, I'd be happy if I could get to those power levels with the Colorado. I think it was 265/425 of course it was twin turbo 6 cylinder, but man I loved that thing.
Mr bones tunes may be hotter than mine, but my tune 3 is what I use around town and it's 220/440 and it's rowdy. Tune 4 is 240/460 when you really want to goof off.

You'd really enjoy them. Rolling into the boost is so satisfying. Plus, you can drive the piss out of the truck and still get better gas mileage than a Tacoma.

·
Registered
213 Posts
for me I'm all in for tuning, but I hate untreated diesel smell so I think I'll have to just have to stick with it and hope they put out a turbo upgrade soon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm new to diesels. What all gas to be done to delete my dpf. Is ut just a new exhaust system, or do I hace to have a tune as well?. Need help, thx

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
You have to do both. You have to have a tuner that is able to delete out the emissions system, but also tell the computer that the system still exists so that it is happy. So, if you get rid of you exhaust (the DPF is probably part of the muffler, although I can't say for sure as I have not looked at mine) which is most of the emissions systems, the computer will freak out and the truck will go into limp mode most likely and you won't be going anywhere. Whoever Mr. Bones got his from is capable of deleting the system, as well as MotorOps out of Canada.

aFe has a straight pipe from the downpipe back, and maybe one from the turbo back too? There are probably some emissions something or other in that, but it could be a gigantic pain in the butt to remove. Ony my 2004 LLY Duramax, you would have had to remove the cab I think to replace the down pipe. However, on my friends 2008 LMM Duramax, he said his down pipe was very easy to get to, to replace. Just depends on where it is on our trucks as to what I would do personally.

The only other thing that is emissions related and not in your exhaust system is the EGR, which is up on your engine. You don't have to do that right away, but I would eventually do it. The tuner would turn the EGR off as well.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I guess I don't understand the reasoning to go with non-delete tuning (unless of course you live in area that does inspections and what not). You are losing your powertrain warranty either way, but still have to dick with regens and def. My truck has been back to the dealer after being deleted and had no issues with them fixing anything and they said they will continue to do so until it would be like an engine/trans or ecm issue. And with deletes you will see a higher performance and better mpgs compared to just tuning. I am even considering selling off my emission equipment because truck is going to stay how it is and I plan on keeping it now for a very long time.

61 - 80 of 108 Posts