Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You make valid points. Reasoning for me, in order of importance.
1st: quiet
2nd: clean
I'll explain.

I think a cleanly modified truck should sound clean as well. Four bangers are not known for their sound. Yours has a good sound with the muffler, it's just still a little too loud for my taste, I would prefer it nearly silent with more turbo noise.

As far as clean, thankfully, Under the current administration, I am not worried about the EPA coming down on me or anything like that. However, in my area, it is very popular for kids to blow tons of black smoke out of their (horribly modified, ugly) diesel trucks. Possibly giving diesel a bad name. We really do have an ugly truck problem here. Anyway, I think it's cool to have a clean, small diesel that performs well and attracts attention. I've posted a story here about beating a lightly modified 24v cummins (quite embarrassingly, I'll add) in a towing drag race. He was billowing black smoke and I beat him silently with no smoke.

Diesel is the future, in my opinion. Which means they will start rolling out emissions in more places. I live in an emissions area, but diesels are exempt. It won't stay that way forever. I would imagine if they start checking them it will be for whatever model year they start and newer. They probably won't go back and check older models.

All that being said, if my emissions system needs a costly repair and the dealer won't warranty it (probably won't) then I will probably delete the truck.

·
Registered
213 Posts
For me I'd like to keep it compliant, yes I've had cars that I removed the cat's from for performance in the past. And they smelled like crap, but untreated diesel exhaust gives me a terrible headache and I just don't want to live with that for a bit more gain. I also live in a state that smog test, I'm not sure what the rules are for diesel as this is only my second one, and the first one I didn't have long enough to have to do it. I'm guessing it's just an OBDII test as normal cars, but don't know for sure. Either way I like the idea of keeping the emissions system I'm no tree hugger, but I do think we should all be a little conscious of what we are doing to help the environment. If this were a performance car my take would likely be a little different, but it isn't and for what I need I can get there with the emissions system intact.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Buy it.....=) I have saw that item on there before and have made a note to self that I need to purchase one eventually. XDP is a good site. I think they have good customer service too. I had purchased a down-pipe from them for my LLY Duramax. I wanted to help it breath more, so had purchased that when I bought the MBRP straight pipe from them too. Then I found out that the down-pipe on an LLY is in a very hard to get to spot to replace....so, I left the stock one and returned the one to XDP. I told them exactly why I was returning it, and they were understanding. I feel like they even sent me a box to send my stuff back in, but I can't be for sure on that. Got my refund for the product as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So....I'm not tuned or deleted yet, but I just wanted to share. I just took a trip to Green Bay, Go Pack Go, and that 1000 mile round trip was great. On the way up I got 33.2 MPG and the way back I got 31.1 MPG. Some of it was in SLOW....traffic and when I was able to go I was going 70-83 MPH. Super impressed with the fuel mileage and power this truck delivers. I can't wait until I get enough money saved up to tune and delete. I have just over 20k miles on the truck, but other than that nothing special other than running bio diesel every other couple of fills.

Bones,
Did you have a chance to check into those dyno numbers? Quite impressive!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
You could always delete and put a performance muffler on, like the one from Flo~Pro. Non restrictive but still keeps the truck more quiet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Whoa wait, it will be more quiet if I ran the delete and flo pro? This truck is for overland and we will be in the truck more than 5-10 hours a trip so just wanted to be clear. The cabin has to be very quiet for me to go delete and muffler. Thanks, please let me know.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
More quiet than having a straight pipe with no muffler. I would say equally, to just a little louder than OEM. I can't find any videos of a straight piped truck with a muffler so I have no evidence. I don't know that you will get 40 MPG with the tune alone. Someone may disprove me, but that's my feeling on it. Just too much restrictive junk down there.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
38.4 mpg was the best I've seen since delete and exhaust. Egr is still there just unplugged and disabled. I haven't had the truck for like two months. It keeps locking itself in 4wd. Take it to the dealer for a week or two, get it back and goes back into 4wd so i take it back. I'm on the 4th time it's back at the dealer, so far it's been 2 weeks and they haven't even touched it yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
First they replaced the actuator, second was replacing the transfer case plugs, 3rd they repaired some of the harness rub issues and now they are leaning towards replacing the whole wiring harness just haven't done a thing yet. Every time their fix would work for a day or so then I would go right back into 4wd. They even loaded a stock file on my tcm which didn't even last a mile until it came back on.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
First they replaced the actuator, second was replacing the transfer case plugs, 3rd they repaired some of the harness rub issues and now they are leaning towards replacing the whole wiring harness just haven't done a thing yet. Every time their fix would work for a day or so then I would go right back into 4wd. They even loaded a stock file on my tcm which didn't even last a mile until it came back on.
Sucks. Hope they get it sorted out. Since there aren’t any 4wd indicator lights I’m assuming you’re just feeling it binding in 4x4 on pavement?

81 - 100 of 108 Posts