Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this forum.

I am looking to get into a Colorado. Below are the configurations I am thinking of:
  1. Extended Cab
  2. 4WD
  3. 2.8L Baby Duramax - fuel efficiency & higher tow rating
  4. ZR2 - I want front & rear lockers (coming from a Wrangler Rubicon)
  5. Bison - for protective gears & bonus looks
  6. Diesel Exhaust Tip Relocation
  7. Bose Premium Audio
Below are the reasons I pick Colorado over Gladiator
  1. I want at lease a 6' bed
  2. I do not need roomy back seat since it will be unoccupied 98.7% of the time. I do want jump seats just in case
  3. 3rd-gen 3.0 Ecodiesel still need to prove itself in reliability
  4. higher payload & tow rating
A few questions:
  • Does anyone know of "below invoice" pricing? This is how I got my Wrangler Rubicon, via a dealer sponsor in a wrangler forum
  • Pros and cons of the configuration I listed above
  • Recommended factory options and dealer accessories
  • Things to watch out for and avoid
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7 Posts
What's the payload and tow rating on the specific Gladiator you are looking at? The ZR2's tow rating is 5000lbs (down from 7500) and Bison payload takes a hit as well.

If you're looking for Towing, you might wanna go the Z71 route.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's the payload and tow rating on the specific Gladiator you are looking at? The ZR2's tow rating is 5000lbs (down from 7500) and Bison payload takes a hit as well.

If you're looking for Towing, you might wanna go the Z71 route.
Thanks for your reply. Payload is more important to me than towing. The Gladiator I configured ended up having 6000lbs tow rating but a payload of about 850lbs. I don't see myself towing more than 5000lbs.

I looked at the Z71 but it doesn't offer selectable lockers, especially up front. I had a few incidents with my Rubicon where locking the rear axle were not sufficient, requiring both axles to be locked.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A few questions:
  • Does anyone know of "below invoice" pricing? This is how I got my Wrangler Rubicon, via a dealer sponsor in a wrangler forum
Thanks in advance!
To answer these:

1.) You will just have to shop around. I noticed that it really depends on the area and the dealer, and how bad they want to move the unit. Odds are you will end up paying MSRP because your configuration will likely have to be ordered. I came from a JLU and know what you are thinking of, but I haven't seen that on these forums or on the twins at all.

2.) cons are above, you will most likely have to special order a ZR2 extended cab. I personally have been active on Chevy's inventory website past few months for various reasons, and I can tell you I have not seen one. ESPECIALLY a Bison extended cab.

3.)Most prefer the OEM floor liners to weathertech, YMMV. Diesel relocation tip you can do yourself, personally I wouldn't pay $400 for it. You pretty much got the factory options down...Lockers is about the only thing that makes the ZR2 different (simply put and besides track/suspension). Most every one of them has had the Bose that I have seen, the ones that don't still sold quick. The biggest upsell to me on the Bison is the fender flares if you want those. much more complicated install. Where as the other skid plates are pretty much bolt on.

One thing to consider is if you end up special ordering, you can get the base ZR2 with Vinyl floors. I wish I had these.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am looking to get into a Colorado. Below are the configurations I am thinking of:
  1. Extended Cab
  2. 4WD
  3. 2.8L Baby Duramax - fuel efficiency & higher tow rating
  4. ZR2 - I want front & rear lockers (coming from a Wrangler Rubicon)
  5. Bison - for protective gears & bonus looks
  6. Diesel Exhaust Tip Relocation
  7. Bose Premium Audio
A few questions:
Thanks in advance!
The 4WD and Duramax will reduce your payload quite a bit from a standard 2WD/V6 setup. For example, my '22 Canyon AT4 Duramax only has a payload of about 1300lbs which can get eaten up quickly with hitch weight alone. That's still better than the 1100lbs-ish for the ZR2 starts at and obviously the 850lbs for the gladiator. Note that adding extra skid plates, carriers, lights, sliders/bars, etc will reduce that payload further. Then account for your weight and anything else you'll be keeping in the truck.

Also, take into account that around 80% of the tow rating is the threshold for "feeling like you're towing". Without knowing what you would be towing, that would be around 4000lbs and about 400-600lbs of tongue weight. Still is quite a bit to work with, just get a good WDH to minimize the squat from that plush suspension.

For the accessories, the exhaust tip looks way better than stock. Dumb expensive for what is a basic piece of pipe, a clamp, and an exhaust tip. Look for GM to run sales from their accessory store during things like Black Friday. Might be able to score the 25% off MSRP stuff then.

As for factory options:
  • Brake Controller (I believe the ZR2 has this standard?)
  • Any safety features
  • Bed lighting or DIY
  • Subwoofer, doing it later sucks a bit
  • I liked the Husky Floor liners better than stock/Weather Tech.
  • If you want wireless charging check to make sure it will work with your phone and your phone will fit. Lots of guys that ended up swapping back to just having the storage space there.
  • Skid plates are easy enough to install on your own along with basically any other accessory.
  • If you go with a tonneau cover I recommend spending the extra money on the rolling aluminum versions. A grand is stupid for sure but owning the other versions was way more of a hassle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts