Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

It's time to replace my current vehicle (180k miles) and have been looking at several different 4x4 trucks and SUV. The ZR2 diesel really caught my eye, as I'm wanting something that will last for quite a few miles, since my daily commute is 60 total miles and also will be driving 4 hours to visit my cousin in Tennessee. I ruled out a JL Wrangler (owned a 2007) and am currently deciding between a few Toyota models and the ZR2.

You will always hear about the folks having problems, since they are usually the loudest voices. It seems most of the issues have been emissions related, but dealers seem to keep the vehicles for extended periods. I went through this with my 2008 Mustang GT...dealer having the car for over a month waiting for a part (smart control module) to fix the traction control and trying to ensure I do not buy something that has currently known issues.

Have they pretty much ironed out the issues previously reported with DPF sensors and the DPF itself? Any other issues I didn't mention which need to be considered? It sure seems like the ZR2 would be the perfect truck for a daily commuter I could drive to the off road trails a mile from my house. My GSD would live cruising in the forest by the Tennessee River!

Just looking for some unbiased, honest responses. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I think you are right about the people who do have problems having the loudest voices. Those with no problems generally don't go looking for solutions on the internet or bother voicing their opinion. I have only heard of 1 or 2 of the ZR2 diesels (on this site as well as the 2 FB groups I'm on) that have had problems. Seem pretty solid.

If you are looking for a commuter with the best MPG's, then you might consider a regular Colorado or Canyon instead of the ZR2 as the ZR2's get slightly worse MPG's. If you don't care though, then by all means :) However, if you do plan on towing anything heavier, I think the ZR2's max tow rating is around the 5,000 lb. rating, whereas the regular Colorado/ Canyons are around 7,600 lbs.

I can't say I've had any issues with my 2017 Canyon All Terrain with 33,000+ miles on it. We love it. I would buy it again. Although, I might be persuaded into a 2019 GMC Sierra/ Chevy Silverado1500 with the 3.0 I6 Duramax, just for the fact that you have more room in the cab of the truck.

If you have a good GM dealer in the area though, that can make the difference when it comes to something breaking and them servicing it for you. I'm not sure that they have fixed the emissions issues just yet. I still think I have heard of at least 1 2018 model having problems with emissions but I don't remember where it was at that I heard it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you are right about the people who do have problems having the loudest voices. Those with no problems generally don't go looking for solutions on the internet or bother voicing their opinion. I have only heard of 1 or 2 of the ZR2 diesels (on this site as well as the 2 FB groups I'm on) that have had problems. Seem pretty solid.

If you are looking for a commuter with the best MPG's, then you might consider a regular Colorado or Canyon instead of the ZR2 as the ZR2's get slightly worse MPG's. If you don't care though, then by all means :) However, if you do plan on towing anything heavier, I think the ZR2's max tow rating is around the 5,000 lb. rating, whereas the regular Colorado/ Canyons are around 7,600 lbs.

I can't say I've had any issues with my 2017 Canyon All Terrain with 33,000+ miles on it. We love it. I would buy it again. Although, I might be persuaded into a 2019 GMC Sierra/ Chevy Silverado1500 with the 3.0 I6 Duramax, just for the fact that you have more room in the cab of the truck.

If you have a good GM dealer in the area though, that can make the difference when it comes to something breaking and them servicing it for you. I'm not sure that they have fixed the emissions issues just yet. I still think I have heard of at least 1 2018 model having problems with emissions but I don't remember where it was at that I heard it.
I'm not so concerned about MPG, but moreso wanting something to last over 250k miles and not have to worry about being stranded. I have that assurance with the Toyotas I've been looking at and wasn't sure about the baby Duramax. I'd love that low end torque off road with the front/rear lockers. Also don't plan to tow anything near the capacity, likely only an aluminum fishing boat and/or a Turtleback trailer. Not willing to swap longevity and reliability for those features and wanted to ask the guys who drive these trucks.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
@JoeF

There are some bad apples out there and gm didn’t seem to have enough parts ready at first so people with problems waited a while. But, many people haven’t had any issues, such as me.

I’ve toyed with selling mine (family is growing soon) It’s been great, completely trouble free sitting at 15k miles. My wife would kill me because she loves the truck, but if it worked for both parties I could sell you mine. Would save you ~$10k over a zr2 msrp and you’d get about $5k in upgrades for free If I sold it for what I owe.

Mines a z71, but It’s nearly a zr2 clone, as i used the zr2 concept as some inspiration but built mine before they sent zr2 to production

Ever so slightly more lift and tires than the zr2 and rear fox shocks. Has a rear locker, but not a front one. Very usefully and tastefully modded and I have all the stock parts still except wheels.

I Documented mods and maintenance here and on YouTube you’d be confident that the truck is solid as a rock (bob seger “like a rock” stuck in my head now)

I’m in Georgia

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've got the ZR2 and have had 1 issue with it (DEF fluid poor quality) and it has been fixed with no repeats. Have very few miles (16,000) on it and just got back from Kansas with it and avg. 24mpg and that was between 75-80mph, there and back (1605 miles). Still quite happy with the truck. Mac:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm curious if those having problems are mostly driving city trips, not allowing the DPF to properly clean. If so, that would not be a problem in my case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts