Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2018 Colorado ZR2 /c 2.8L Turbo Diesel. Injector failure at 5000 miles, 7000 miles, 8000 miles. Different injectors. The existing injector that had not failed was replaced with the 8000 mile injector failure. First of my new injector just failed last week at 12,000 miles. Anybody else having issues with injectors??
1) what would cause injectors to fail like this - I'm using Chevron #2 diesel
2) I'm doing a buy back and considering if I really want to get another Diesel, even though I love the truck; any advice??

·
Registered
911 Posts
Wow. That is awful luck. What happened when they failed? How did the truck react? Can’t say I’ve heard of anyone else with this problem. My first guess would be water in the fuel. Have you changed fuel filters just to see if that might help (or see if water comes out when you change them). If you keep the truck or get another, would definitely recommend a quality fuel additive to add lubrications and take water out of fuel. Something like John Deere Fuel Protect, Optilube XPD or Amsoil Injector Clean + Cetane Boost.

Also, you might try posting in the Facebook groups (if you’re on there) or in the ColoradoFans.com site, just to try and reach more people on this for help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for quick response. Here's some context. For all three failure episodes plus most recent two weeks ago I would not have know by how the truck was reacting. The engine light went on. For first and third events I drove to the dealership where it was quickly diagnosed. However, the second event occurred 300 miles from home while I was on a road trip. Engine light came on. I contacted dealership service department close town I was in and they could not get me into their schedule for several days. They indicated if it was an injector I would probably be ok returning home as long as I didn't smell diesel and the truck wasn't jerking or running rough. I drove conservatively and averaged 28 miles / gallon coming home to dealership. I'm new to diesel engines and not completely familiar with the complexities and nuances of the engineering (especially with the mandated emission sensors on diesels), coupled with it being new and under warranty, I trusted the local dealership to cover all potential root causes. Bottom line? no, I did not personally explore with the mechanics their process; perhaps I should have asked more questions. I suspect a local Diesel guru may have been able to figure it out and resolve but his shop isn't covered under warranty and I didn't want to risk voiding the warranty. Truck has been down for total of 14 weeks for all events d/t GM parts supply chain issues. I totally love this truck for multiple reasons. In my opinion, on paper and when its not in the shop, there is no competitor (not Toyota, Ranger, Frontier or others). I think I'm in denial and want to take a brand new truck if GM offers me one in lieu of buy back check but I'm pretty shell shocked over this whole experience. I'm desperately trying to find a reason to take a new Chevy Colorado ZR2 Diesel if given the opportunity. Thanks again for your insights.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Very unusual actually... the only other injector failures I've heard of in these trucks have ended in blown engines. I suspect the dealer isn't well versed in this setup and you may want another dealer to take a look... it's likely more of a fuel or fuel supply problem lurking in the shadows.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Very unusual actually... the only other injector failures I've heard of in these trucks have ended in blown engines. I suspect the dealer isn't well versed in this setup and you may want another dealer to take a look... it's likely more of a fuel or fuel supply problem lurking in the shadows.
Something must have been done wrong in manufacturing of injectors or engine.
I fully understand your dilemma. Too much money involved for you to take the risk.The risk is too much for an individual to take. A professor of statistics explained to me if 1 out of 100,000 is defective every single one you buy has same probability of being that one.
Go for lemon law. GM should take it back and give you a new one. You will be protected by 5 yr 60,000 warranty. My understanding from my wife’s brother who has worked from a GM dealership is they don’t rebuild screwed up engines anymore.
One of my son in laws bought a new F 150 it kept loosing antifreeze. Ford took it back and made a fantastic deal to buy another new one.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Thanks for quick response. Here's some context. For all three failure episodes plus most recent two weeks ago I would not have know by how the truck was reacting. The engine light went on. For first and third events I drove to the dealership where it was quickly diagnosed. However, the second event occurred 300 miles from home while I was on a road trip. Engine light came on. I contacted dealership service department close town I was in and they could not get me into their schedule for several days. They indicated if it was an injector I would probably be ok returning home as long as I didn't smell diesel and the truck wasn't jerking or running rough. I drove conservatively and averaged 28 miles / gallon coming home to dealership. I'm new to diesel engines and not completely familiar with the complexities and nuances of the engineering (especially with the mandated emission sensors on diesels), coupled with it being new and under warranty, I trusted the local dealership to cover all potential root causes. Bottom line? no, I did not personally explore with the mechanics their process; perhaps I should have asked more questions. I suspect a local Diesel guru may have been able to figure it out and resolve but his shop isn't covered under warranty and I didn't want to risk voiding the warranty. Truck has been down for total of 14 weeks for all events d/t GM parts supply chain issues. I totally love this truck for multiple reasons. In my opinion, on paper and when its not in the shop, there is no competitor (not Toyota, Ranger, Frontier or others). I think I'm in denial and want to take a brand new truck if GM offers me one in lieu of buy back check but I'm pretty shell shocked over this whole experience. I'm desperately trying to find a reason to take a new Chevy Colorado ZR2 Diesel if given the opportunity. Thanks again for your insights.
So, the engine light came on was all you just went in to the dealer and that was what they told you was the problem? Did the truck misbehave or anything though, like, did it idle rough, have limited power, anything like that? Cause, if it was a downed injector, I would think something like that would have happened.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct. Other than the engine light and the dealership diagnosing as injector failure I really didn't notice anything. During the failures I was on black top and with the engine light on I was reticent to do any road testing. When I had the injector failure 300 miles from home and was advised by a Chevy dealership to drive home, conservatively and pay attention to engine behavior, I got 28 miles / gallon. On the 300 miles form home episode I did, at one point, detect a scent of fuel in the cabin but that dissipated when I dropped the speed down to 60 miles/hour.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bean, sorry to hear that man.... it seems like there are bigger problems here, really what are the odds of having this many injector failures. I think your dealerships service department is failing you. Do they not see that there’s a pattern here?
Have they only been replacing injectors and nothing else? Have looked into other possible causes? I have a zr2 as well and I don’t know what I would do with out it. You seem cool about the situation, a lot of guys have given up on these trucks for a lot less then what your going through stick with it. And run some sea foam once a month, and see if anything changes. Like they say “it only takes one bad tank of fuel”. And I also run chevron only if I can it’s nice to here someone else running it too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Bean, sorry to hear that man.... it seems like there are bigger problems here, really what are the odds of having this many injector failures. I think your dealerships service department is failing you. Do they not see that there’s a pattern here?
Have they only been replacing injectors and nothing else? Have looked into other possible causes? I have a zr2 as well and I don’t know what I would do with out it. You seem cool about the situation, a lot of guys have given up on these trucks for a lot less then what your going through stick with it. And run some sea foam once a month, and see if anything changes. Like they say “it only takes one bad tank of fuel”. And I also run chevron only if I can it’s nice to here someone else running it too.
Good observation about "bigger problems". But IF the problem is water in fuel, will sea foam handle it? Aksin' because Chevy is very plain on fuel adds. Or even keeping up with fuel filters? Personally, i would be happy to drain fuel at a low point into a baby food jar, to look for water. It works for 60 year old Cessna's....

I am catholic in my fuel purchases, and only discriminate on volume. I'e., I try and go to big volume stations. Over 30K miles so far, with lots of fuel purchased in rural Canada. So far, so good....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good observation about "bigger problems". But IF the problem is water in fuel, will sea foam handle it? Aksin' because Chevy is very plain on fuel adds. Or even keeping up with fuel filters? Personally, i would be happy to drain fuel at a low point into a baby food jar, to look for water. It works for 60 year old Cessna's....

I am catholic in my fuel purchases, and only discriminate on volume. I'e., I try and go to big volume stations. Over 30K miles so far, with lots of fuel purchased in rural Canada. So far, so good....
I didn’t necessarily point the finger at water, I’m sure there are other things that could cause this problem. I’m a firm believer in additives I’ve used it for years in everything. If you go to the dealer and have them change your fuel filters, after they do so they add what they.... call a conditioner. And all it is a fuel additive that they sell in the parts department. It’s protocol by GM.
At first I thought it maybe be bad set of injectors, but he a new one fail too. I’m not sure I mean these things are dealing with 30,000 lbs of pressure at times it’s hard to say. If it is water.... unfortunately we don’t have a way to check before every trip like we can on a Cessna.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I didn’t necessarily point the finger at water, I’m sure there are other things that could cause this problem. I’m a firm believer in additives I’ve used it for years in everything. If you go to the dealer and have them change your fuel filters, after they do so they add what they.... call a conditioner. And all it is a fuel additive that they sell in the parts department. It’s protocol by GM.
At first I thought it maybe be bad set of injectors, but he a new one fail too. I’m not sure I mean these things are dealing with 30,000 lbs of pressure at times it’s hard to say. If it is water.... unfortunately we don’t have a way to check before every trip like we can on a Cessna.
Good info on GM service practices, PM. I didn't know that. But I do have one data point on "a fuel additive that they sell in the parts department". I asked Don Brown Chev parts department here in south St. Louis to sell me an authorized 2.8 diesel fuel additive, and they said (1) There isn't one, and (2) We don't want you to use any. Again, no dispute of your findings, except my local Chev dealer does not follow this "protocol", unless they are using it themselves, but not selling it to us. I want to stay within guidelines, but see the sense in what you are saying. Since you are hip to what GM service does, do you know the name of the add that GM uses for their 2.8 diesel fuel filter service? I will ride over today and investigate whether they have the same service practice and find out why they are allowed to do it, but not us.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good info on GM service practices, PM. I didn't know that. But I do have one data point on "a fuel additive that they sell in the parts department". I asked Don Brown Chev parts department here in south St. Louis to sell me an authorized 2.8 diesel fuel additive, and they said (1) There isn't one, and (2) We don't want you to use any. Again, no dispute of your findings, except my local Chev dealer does not follow this "protocol", unless they are using it themselves, but not selling it to us. I want to stay within guidelines, but see the sense in what you are saying. Since you are hip to what GM service does, do you know the name of the add that GM uses for their 2.8 diesel fuel filter service? I will ride over today and investigate whether they have the same service practice and find out why they are allowed to do it, but not us.
It’s a GM recommended conditioner that needs to be added to the fuel every time you change fuel filters, it’s suppose to lubricate the injectors and the filters. It lasts for the life of the fuel filters. Sorry that I was misinformed one service person tells you one thing then the other tells you another. But my dealer tells me to run additive once a month.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It’s a GM recommended conditioner that needs to be added to the fuel every time you change fuel filters, it’s suppose to lubricate the injectors and the filters. It lasts for the life of the fuel filters. Sorry that I was misinformed one service person tells you one thing then the other tells you another. But my dealer tells me to run additive once a month.
Sorry if I implied that you were misinformed. I think it's my closest dealer and the dealer I bought from who are misinformed. And me, of course. Do you happen to know the name of this additive? if not, I'll just ask service if they do this (I am confident that you are correct) and then pin them down on what the additive is, and why they can use it, but not us.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would also like to know what add your GM dealership uses. The 2.8 Duramax manual states not to use any adds, and that is what my GM dealership told me as well. I changed my own fuel filters without adding anything special and its been business as usual. Not sure how an additive would last the life of the filters? As thousands of gallons of fuel will pass though them there is no way a one time additive could accomplish this. Please keep us updated on what you find..?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would also like to know what add your GM dealership uses. The 2.8 Duramax manual states not to use any adds, and that is what my GM dealership told me as well. I changed my own fuel filters without adding anything special and its been business as usual. Not sure how an additive would last the life of the filters? As thousands of gallons of fuel will pass though them there is no way a one time additive could accomplish this. Please keep us updated on what you find..?
GM Service Bulletin Attached

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
GM Service Bulletin Attached
Thanks Haminstead. But I pored over this a few times and I think this only covers 2016 Colorado/Canyon diesels. If anyone has a similar bulletin for my 2018 Z71 CCLB, I would like to see it. Again, not challenging any poster here. But until I see it otherwise in writing, I'm doing what my 2 closest dealers say...

·
Registered
46 Posts
WHOPPERS ARE SOLD AT BURGER KING
WHOPPERS ARE TOLD AT CAR DEALERS.
I believe what you are doing is fine.
The Bulletin was written in 2016 and has not been superceded as far as I have been able to determine. Purpose is to stop people from useing additives with
ALCOHOL ,EMULSIFIERS, METAL BASED etc. And only use approved products. Your 2018 is same engine as my 2016 probably slightly different software/ CRUZE 2.0L & 6.6L DURAMAX DIESELS ARE ALSO MENTIONED.
EMULISIFERS according to GM will allow water to get by fuel filter and DESTROY fuel system components!!!!!!!!!!!!! (injectors ???) DEMULSIFERS are OKAY they cause water particles to combine so filter can saperate water from fuel as designed.
Common Rail (Modern) Diesel Engines Fuel systems operate at EXTREME high pressure. I believe the Bulletin was released to clarify GM's policy.
They are trying to stop customers from adding witches brews of god only knows what. The bulletin does say that a customer can use GM ACDELCO Diesel Fuel Conditioner P/N 88861698 or GM ACDECO Fuel System Treatment Plus-Diesel P/N 88865597
GM has only approved Stanadyne and Racor. Ford I think also approved Stantadyne

I have been used STANADYNE DIESEL FUEL ADDITIVE PERFORMANCE FORMULA for about 48,000 miles over 52,500 miles I have driven 2016 CANYON.
I carry a funnel and glass measurung cup in bed of truck and calculate how many ounces each fill up. I am almost certain that the GM products are STANADYNE products. I buy case of 12 online for about $90.
This good for approximately 20,000. $90 is immaterial Truck is depreciating at $450 per month.
GM additives dealer use should not cause problems and is safest way to go and not void warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2018 Colorado ZR2 /c 2.8L Turbo Diesel. Injector failure at 5000 miles, 7000 miles, 8000 miles. Different injectors. The existing injector that had not failed was replaced with the 8000 mile injector failure. First of my new injector just failed last week at 12,000 miles. Anybody else having issues with injectors??
1) what would cause injectors to fail like this - I'm using Chevron #2 diesel
2) I'm doing a buy back and considering if I really want to get another Diesel, even though I love the truck; any advice??
I have had the same issues with my truck. Mine start at 20,000 kms. Im now at 30,000 and have had 6 fuel injectors replaced. The only thing they have said was this sometimes there is a bad batch of injectors. Interested to see where you are at now and if you are still having issues.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I doubt that many injectors would fail due to a manufacturing issue with the injectors. That sounds like bad fuel. If water gets past the filter/separator, it will destroy the injectors in no time.

When I change my fuel filters, I drain the fuel out of the separator box into a clear plastic pitcher and let it sit for awhile to see if any water separates to the bottom. So far so good. I have a very high volume station near me, I suspect the fuel is not the greatest quality as far as Cetane goes, but I know it is fresh. You could pull the yellow plug on the filter box, catch the fuel and see if any water appears. Our trucks do have a water sensor in the filter/separator box, and you should get a DIC message if water is detected though.

The only other thing I can think of that would cause multiple injector failures is swarf coming from the high pressure fuel pump. I am a big proponent of adding a good lubricity improver with each fill for this reason. Who knows though. Chevron generally sells good quality fuel...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have had the same issues with my truck. Mine start at 20,000 kms. Im now at 30,000 and have had 6 fuel injectors replaced. The only thing they have said was this sometimes there is a bad batch of injectors. Interested to see where you are at now and if you are still having issues.
I bailed on GM - did a buy back, cut my losses and never looking back. Injector failures with the ZR2 / Diesel Colorados are a trend. I was hearing other stories about injector failures in these diesels but typically happening at the 20,000 miles range. Thankfully mine happened early so it made economic sense for me to do the buy back when I could still get most of my money reimbursed with only small user fee. Paid in the $40,000+ range for brand new 2018 ZR2. Ridiculous. I have heard some people who have not yet had any failures and they like their ZR2 Diesels. However, you are rolling the dice and I don't gamble, especially when these vehicles are now between $45 - $50 thousand dollars. Good luck brother.

Bean.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts