Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, a little history. Back in 2019 I installed Sealight low, high, and fog LED bulbs to replace the factory incandescent bulbs. While it was a definite improvement over stock the beam focus wasn't all that great, especially with the fogs, but even the low beams was kind of meh but I lived with them for 3 years (trouble free).

With my mechanical mods done I decided it was time to do something with the lights, so I ordered Diode Dynamics' SL1 low-beam LEDs and the SS3 pod kit in amber with backlighting. It's not dark here yet so I don't have a night time reference or pics yet, and I'm not sure if or how much better the SL1 low-beams will be than the Sealight bulbs as the LED position/location within the projector housing is the same for both. If the output is basically the same then at least Diode Dynamics has a no-hassle return policy.

The SS3 pods are a definite improvement over the stock reflector units, doesn't take night time to know these are going to be a huge upgrade. The backlighting is kind of hard to see in the daylight, but I tied them into the DRL/low beam circuit in the factory harness. I'm running a DRL relocation harness so the park and accent lights are the DRLs instead of the low beams, and should the DRL relocation harness ever need to be removed or replaced there will be no impact to the backlighting.

The install wasn't bad at all, start to finish was probably about 1.5 hours. The SS3 kit is very high quality and the connectors/wiring harnesses are top notch.

I'll post night time pics later.

DRLs:
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Grille

Headlights + Fogs:
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got some night pics, I'm on the fence about the SL1 low beams over the Sealight LEDs I had in there before. Light output may be a little better/sharper, just not sure it's enough to justify keeping them.

The SS3 Pros are crazy bright. Diode Dynamics claims they're street legal, but...not sure how.

DD SL1 vs Sealight low beams

Light Rectangle Black Cloud Automotive lighting

SS3 Pro pods:
Sky Road surface Asphalt Rectangle Grass

SS3 Pod backlights
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Wheel Grille

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've removed the trim rings from the SS3s and pointed them down about 20 degrees so we'll see if that's acceptable for full-time use and won't blind drivers. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Interesting. I’ve flirted with DD over stock, but haven’t bit the bullet. Curious you mentioned the focus isn’t hugely improved with LEDs over stock. I got some amber gel decals to stick on my stock fogs, but admittedly I’m more tempted by LED fogs (assuming their pattern is low and won’t just kick back in my face?). The stock fogs seems pretty meager, or maybe Colorado fog is just really bad in the high country.

·
Registered
157 Posts
First, a little history. Back in 2019 I installed Sealight low, high, and fog LED bulbs to replace the factory incandescent bulbs. While it was a definite improvement over stock the beam focus wasn't all that great, especially with the fogs, but even the low beams was kind of meh but I lived with them for 3 years (trouble free).

With my mechanical mods done I decided it was time to do something with the lights, so I ordered Diode Dynamics' SL1 low-beam LEDs and the SS3 pod kit in amber with backlighting. It's not dark here yet so I don't have a night time reference or pics yet, and I'm not sure if or how much better the SL1 low-beams will be than the Sealight bulbs as the LED position/location within the projector housing is the same for both. If the output is basically the same then at least Diode Dynamics has a no-hassle return policy.

The SS3 pods are a definite improvement over the stock reflector units, doesn't take night time to know these are going to be a huge upgrade. The backlighting is kind of hard to see in the daylight, but I tied them into the DRL/low beam circuit in the factory harness. I'm running a DRL relocation harness so the park and accent lights are the DRLs instead of the low beams, and should the DRL relocation harness ever need to be removed or replaced there will be no impact to the backlighting.

The install wasn't bad at all, start to finish was probably about 1.5 hours. The SS3 kit is very high quality and the connectors/wiring harnesses are top notch.

I'll post night time pics later.

DRLs:
View attachment 9673

Headlights + Fogs:
I am neither a wrench nor an electronic but I am not afraid to try under control conditions. I am just living with the OEM lighting. I want to try the switchback DRL package as it seems to work OK for you. Then maybe some low beams.

High beams for me are a non-starter. Here in East TX the protocol specifies how long it takes to vaporize an oncoming vehicle's windshield OR when overtaking a vehicle to "weld" the driver's head to the headrest!

Keep up the good reporting!

• Haha
Reactions: SFLTruck

·
Registered
383 Posts
O
Got some night pics, I'm on the fence about the SL1 low beams over the Sealight LEDs I had in there before. Light output may be a little better/sharper, just not sure it's enough to justify keeping them.

The SS3 Pros are crazy bright. Diode Dynamics claims they're street legal, but...not sure how.

View attachment 9675

SS3 Pro pods:
View attachment 9676

SS3 Pod backlights
View attachment 9677
ne

View attachment 9675

SS3 Pro pods:
View attachment 9676

SS3 Pod backlights
View attachment 9677
One data point. Ours have been in for over 2 years. The dims are fine, unlike OEM, which are dangerous. And they have a brick and mortar store - thankfully ~20 miles from the house. My first install was a from a fly by nighter that didn't stand by their product. Also, they fit in stock hemispherical protectors. I own a spare, which I keep in my RV trailer. No more worries about going lightless...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One data point. Ours have been in for over 2 years. The dims are fine, unlike OEM, which are dangerous. And they have a brick and mortar store - thankfully ~20 miles from the house. My first install was a from a fly by nighter that didn't stand by their product. Also, they fit in stock hemispherical protectors. I own a spare, which I keep in my RV trailer. No more worries about going lightless...
Just to circle back on my previous post, I did end up returning the SL1 LEDs and put the Sealight LEDs back in. Just not enough difference to justify the $200 cost, plus with the SS3 pods aimed correctly they overpower the low beams (SL1s or Sealight) which really cemented returning the SL1s. The Sealight LEDs I'm running are passively cooled and fit under the factory dust covers for the OEM projector housing no problem. I've been running them for close to 3 years now and haven't had a single issue.

Reactions: bigoilbob
1 - 7 of 7 Posts