Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I’ve been reading deep into upgrading air intake. I know it’s a dead, well beaten horse and I’ve been reading a lot about it. A lot of people don’t like the noise and a lot of people don’t like the price. I am considering the S&B intake, however, before I pulled the trigger I wanted to try a few things I read about and see how they felt/ sounded.

firstly, I grabbed a T15 bit and opened the wheel well to see the air dam in there… I opened the hood and took the intake apart. Loosened it up and pulled it out. I cleaned my filter, and the box out and did some more research. I know it will be frowned upon, but since I am considering a new intake anyway. I decided to mod the intake some. I took a 3/4 drill bit and drilled three holes in the bottom section of the intake box. Put a little screen over it to make sure no debris gets in and put it back. I don’t go swimming with my truck, however do drive through a lot of mud here in OH. So I am considering making a shield for the bottom to ensure no debris/ water gets in.

here is a video of the sound from inside the cab. Noticing a more throat sound, little deeper and from the outside you can almost hear the little turbo, whimpering.

This is without any other mods. No exhaust or tune (yet 😏)
2.8 Duramax air intake mod

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Colorado CCLB, 2.8L Duramax, Shadow Metalic Grey. 2.5" level/1.5" blocks. Softtopper.
11 Posts
If you are after sound and flow, i would look at the downward pipe leaving the airbox towards the turbo. There is a small resinator muffler that you could cut off and platic weld etc over the hole. That would surley improve turbo/intake noise, much like the (now unavailable) Carbon intake tubes once sold by I believe ADP.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are after sound and flow, i would look at the downward pipe leaving the airbox towards the turbo. There is a small resinator muffler that you could cut off and platic weld etc over the hole. That would surley improve turbo/intake noise, much like the (now unavailable) Carbon intake tubes once sold by I believe ADP.
Any chance you have a pic of this ?

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Colorado CCLB, 2.8L Duramax, Shadow Metalic Grey. 2.5" level/1.5" blocks. Softtopper.
11 Posts
Any chance you have a pic of this ?
I dont off hand (truck is at the dealer until Friday) The section I am talking about comes from the airbox heading towards the motor/turbo. It has a 2" x 3" odd shaped can chunk half way down that is a resonator muffler to flatten the turbulent air as it leaves the box. It literally only reduces air noise. You could take that off (2x hose clamps) cut it off and cover the hole where the piece was removed. Say plastic weld, epoxy or some sort of self advesive tape.
I have not done this myself, but recal someone mentioning it on the colorado fans forum. Not much for mods over there, as people are too focused on crapping on everything.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont off hand (truck is at the dealer until Friday) The section I am talking about comes from the airbox heading towards the motor/turbo. It has a 2" x 3" odd shaped can chunk half way down that is a resonator muffler to flatten the turbulent air as it leaves the box. It literally only reduces air noise. You could take that off (2x hose clamps) cut it off and cover the hole where the piece was removed. Say plastic weld, epoxy or some sort of self advesive tape.
I have not done this myself, but recal someone mentioning it on the colorado fans forum. Not much for mods over there, as people are too focused on crapping on everything.
Oh I know, I have been digging deep into places trying to find mods, i like doing it myself as opposed to buying, making a one off. As of right now, I have a 4” exhaust on order and am going to fabricate a (for now, dpf back) dump exhaust… for sure will be videos to come. But I would like to have the air intake modded in some way so I’m getting a little more diesel/ turbo noise. With the little mod I did, I’m noticing a little more noise and also slightly more pick up. I’ll check that out and see what is cooking.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you have a chance a pic would be super. If not, I’m sure I can figure it out. Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Has anyone looked into fabbing their own intake pipe? Keep the stock box/ filter but just a pipe down to turbo? None of that crinkly plastic elbow BS from factory. Intercooler Pipe Fabrication
Has all the makings of stuff to do so, just wondering if I’d be better off buying already fabbed intake pipes/ CAI and charge pipes or if I could make a project out of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.