Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok guys, unless I missed something skimming through all the posts there is no mention on how to drain the old fluid from the torque converter.
Back in the 70's I remember draining the torque converter by removing the cover and pulling the drain plug on it. Some converters had a factory plug but most didn't which is why many either installed one or bought a aftermarket torque converter with a plug installed.
Now, if your just draining the fluid for preventative maintenance I can see no concern for leaving the old fluid in the converter. If your having issues or you are way behind on servicing them maybe it's a good idea to drain it as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@6speedTi from the searching I did, this 6L50 trans is treated the same as the Allison in the 6.6 dmax trucks. Drain and fill the pan is the recommended service. It introduces enough fresh fluid to mix with existing.
A flush is not needed unless there's a major maintenance issue or fluid is bad/contaminated.

Josh

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ok guys, unless I missed something skimming through all the posts there is no mention on how to drain the old fluid from the torque converter.
Back in the 70's I remember draining the torque converter by removing the cover and pulling the drain plug on it. Some converters had a factory plug but most didn't which is why many either installed one or bought a aftermarket torque converter with a plug installed.
Now, if your just draining the fluid for preventative maintenance I can see no concern for leaving the old fluid in the converter. If your having issues or you are way behind on servicing them maybe it's a good idea to drain it as well.
You can fill the pan, then run it with the return line located at the bottom of the radiator on the driver's side unplugged to collect more fluid. I did this, but not for too long. The fluid was so clean I decided not to bother. Drove it for awhile and then sucked out three quarts and put in the extra 3 I had and called it a day.

The connector is a standard C clip type deal. Remove the clip, give the return line a tug and slip a 3/4" plastic hose over the fitting and run it for a short time. Here is a direct link to my post in this thread showing that:

21 - 23 of 23 Posts