Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 GMC Canyon LB SLT 2.8L Duramaxtune. Loads of upgrades.
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, California is so unfriendly to mods, I get it, but geez. After my lift and tires, my speedo is off a few MPH so I know my MPG is also not recording properly. Plus if feel that slight lag if I need quick acceleration. Sometimes I need to get out quickly for a left turn in some areas out here and end up waiting a little longer than I should due to fear of that lag.

Is there anyone that has a legal tune for the 2.8 Duramax in California?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
“Worth” is a very relative term. To me it made a night and day difference. It made an average boring truck quite fun.

I have had absolutely zero problems with DT and they have been stellar with customer service.

Diesels are smog exempt here so I can’t comment on that

They will correct for your tire size which will make your speedo and your mpg accurate again.

As far as mpg it helped more than it hurt. I get better than EPA rating both city and hwy and I’m lifted on 32”s so I’m happy. The tune brought back the couple mpg that I lost. as always, YMMV
Thanks, this helps. Since I'm lifted on 33" I will probably have a similar experience. I think I'll call them and pull the trigger on the tune in a few weeks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Wow, California is so unfriendly to mods, I get it, but geez. After my lift and tires, my speedo is off a few MPH so I know my MPG is also not recording properly. Plus if feel that slight lag if I need quick acceleration. Sometimes I need to get out quickly for a left turn in some areas out here and end up waiting a little longer than I should due to fear of that lag.

Is there anyone that has a legal tune for the 2.8 Duramax in California?
In order to be a "legal engine modification" in CA, California Air Resources Board must certify the part(s), the manufacturer pays a fee and an EO number is issued. This EO number must be prominently on the part so the smog check can see it. It is an extortion racket by the state of CA to get money from businesses who want to sell parts here. Unfortunately, most parts manufacturers won't go through all this nonsense or the pay the EO "hustle" monies.

No, there is no "legal" tune in CA, other than the OEM tune that came with your truck.

If you have a modern vehicle, one manufactured in the last 10 years or so, CA will not test your actual tailpipe emissions unless you've been flagged for some reason. All they do is plug into your OBDII port and do a visual inspection to look for excessive smoke (opacity) or mods.

As I said in the other thread, I don't think a smog tech can "see" the tune as long as you have readyness codes on all your emissions equipment and there are no CELs. However if they see the DT DSP4 switch they will fail you as it is evidence of a modification. Even if you were using a OBD monitor like the Banks IQ they will still fail you as it looks like a programmer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://duramaxtuner.com/2-8lduramax/2-8l-duramax-colorado-canyon-spade.html
I didn't see anywhere in the description where it says " not for sale in CA." And when ordering one at the bottom of the page, there is nothing that says " do you live in the state of CA?" My guess is that you could do it.
Okay, cool, thanks. I have a 2017 so it looks like I need to order everything on that page. Wow, it's over $1200. For those that have this, is it worth it? Will I see better MPG and correct all the gauges from the lift and tires?

Reactions: Burgess159

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Okay, cool, thanks. I have a 2017 so it looks like I need to order everything on that page. Wow, it's over $1200. For those that have this, is it worth it? Will I see better MPG and correct all the gauges from the lift and tires?
“Worth” is a very relative term. To me it made a night and day difference. It made an average boring truck quite fun.

I have had absolutely zero problems with DT and they have been stellar with customer service.

Diesels are smog exempt here so I can’t comment on that

They will correct for your tire size which will make your speedo and your mpg accurate again.

As far as mpg it helped more than it hurt. I get better than EPA rating both city and hwy and I’m lifted on 32”s so I’m happy. The tune brought back the couple mpg that I lost. as always, YMMV

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think you'll see the biggest MPG gains from GDE. Their tune is unique in certain regards...

You may have not seen the posts, but there have been some members here who are sympathetic and have offered to help facilitate the transaction with GDE.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I think you'll see the biggest MPG gains from GDE. Their tune is unique in certain regards...

You may have not seen the posts, but there have been some members here who are sympathetic and have offered to help facilitate the transaction with GDE.
I agree, the only reason i suggested the other tune is because he said he didn’t want to do any work reverting back to stock to pass smog. Gde tune would require at least a drain and refill of the def tank I’m assuming

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree, the only reason i suggested the other tune is because he said he didn’t want to do any work reverting back to stock to pass smog. Gde tune would require at least a drain and refill of the def tank I’m assuming
Thanks for this. Can someone explain why I would have to drain and refill the def fluid? That's a new one for me. If it's only once every 2 years it should be a big deal. How easy is that to do?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Thanks for this. Can someone explain why I would have to drain and refill the def fluid? That's a new one for me. If it's only once every 2 years it should be a big deal. How easy is that to do?
I’ll try to explain why I said that

1. Gde tune disables def injection as part of its magic
2. You need to keep def in the tank to keep the tank level sensor happy so you end up with a tank full of old def
3. Because def has a shelf life of about a year and once it expires it doesn’t work anymore and your truck will give you a def quality message.

If the tank has a drain plug or petcock it would be easy otherwise siphon it and refill with fresh

1 - 11 of 11 Posts