Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I had to do some research before I answered this. I'm no expert on fuels, but I'm going to say that I would personally not do it.

A piece I took from this article:
--------------------------------------------------------
So, some people have this idea that they can use Jet-A fuel in their diesel engines.

Not the best idea, people.

This fuel is made specifically for airplanes, and there is a reason that led was phased out of the fuel we use in our cars. Even though some older cars have engines that can handle the lead in aviation fuel, it's not recommended that you use the same fuel that powers these massive planes.

There are still some big differences between diesel and Jet-A. For starters, there's a higher level of sulfur and other additives-including cetane, and the cetane number-in Jet-A than is allowed in your diesel. This could lead to fines and may even damage your engine.

While it would probably work well enough to power your car, it wouldn't give you the performance you want in the long run. At the end of the day, it's just best to use the fuel that's made for your vehicle, no matter how strong the temptation is to give jet fuel a try.

And just as you shouldn't use jet fuel in your truck, you shouldn't use automotive engine oil in aircraft piston engines, either.

Here is the whole article for reference: https://aviationoiloutlet.com/blog/exactly-jet-fuel-can-use-diesel/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fact that there is lead in it (don't think there is any in modern diesel, definitely not any in UN-leaded gas) and that it has high sulfur content much like older diesel used to, I wouldn't use it. Our little engines are finnicky as is and made to run on ULSD fuel. High sulfur and lead in Jet-A doesn't sound like it would work well for someone with our 2.8.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I’m not saying it can’t be done. I’m just saying I wouldn’t try it in our little engine. Your coworkers, are they using it in modern diesels? Or are they running it on 7.3 Powerstrokes, 5.9 Cummins and pre-2008 6.6 Duramaxes?

Those engines might get away with it. But I don’t know that more modern diesels, especially those not deleted would.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You're taking a risk putting jet fuel in your 2.8. Older pre-2008 diesels might be able to tolerate it, but it would likely damage the engines and exhausts of modern diesels. I'd just stick with regular diesel if I were you. Pay a little now, or a lot later.

·
Registered
180 Posts
With the way these little diesels are in the emissions department with all the sensors and DEF, I wouldn't risk it. I use to run JP4 in a VW (200hp) sandrail just so the valves would get a little more lubrication (sulpher) and I got it free also. I agree with Burgess159 on this one. Mac:)

·
Registered
180 Posts
You would have to get with whomever designs the "tune". Back in the day of Hollies and Wieands (showing age now), I would try just about anything. With all the new emissions crap nowadays, I wouldn't chance it. And like I said before, these trucks have two or three computers and all the inline sensors trying to communicate with each other, could end up with more issues than it's worth. Deleting would just take the DEF and the DPF out of the equation and a couple of sensors. I would be 85% sure it would work, but all it would take is fuel that's "dirtier" and then you'd have bells and whistles going off and causing some other freak problem. The computers in these thing don't seem to have wide parameters programmed into them. I've had my issues with the DEF system on my truck. Talk to the tuner manuf. and see what they say. I'm sure they've had someone out in the real world that has done something similar. YMMV though. Mac:cool:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I mean you would stand a better chance of not having problems if you were deleted. I mean, it sounds like you still want to regardless of what other have said. I say you try it and let us know how it turns out after you run a few tankfuls of it.

Why are they adding stanadyne though? Is that fuel dry?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wouldn't say its dry, just not as many additives in it as compared to diesel. I won't be putting Jet-a with all the emissions crap, have to wait till warranty is done to delete and tune.

·
Super Moderator
454 Posts
I don't think it's a good idea. Buying the right fuel doesn't break the bank and these trucks cost way too much to play Mad Scientist with.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Here is an article on Jet-A vs. diesel. Jet-A is dry and has no cetane requirements as lubricity and cetane have no meaning in a turbine engine. Jet fuel is more akin to kerosene than diesel #2.

Definitely sounds like something one might get away with, but not worth trying. My biggest concern would be the injectors and fuel pump not liking the fuel. When the fuel pump and injectors are not happy, the engine tends to have injector problems and potentially wind up with a hole in it's piston.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts