Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2019 colorado diesel 1980 miles seems to me to have more valve train noise than a engine with almost no miles would have. Also the engine carries only 15psi oil pressure at idle seems kind of low in my opinion. It carries 40psi at highway speed.
I have a 2005 jeep liberty crd with 198000 miles which has almost no valve train noise.

How does your Duramax sound??

·
Registered
218 Posts
My oil pressure is about the same. I don’t think I have any more noise than would be considered normal. It is a whole lit quieter than my old Land Rover TDI.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
It has a decent amount of noise. Not really any way to cancel the noise when all the cylinders are going in the same direction. And it’s a diesel. Listen to a 5.9 Cummins. Older I6 engine but same idea. Make a lot of rattle. Listen to a V8 Duramax and you have the cylinders firing (at an angle) towards each other so noise and vibration cancel some. Take a flat 4 and a lot of the noise and clatter cancels, like a Subaru engine (I know it’s a gas engine).

I’ve run different oils and fuel additives and nothing really makes a change in how the engine sounds that I can tell.

The oil pressure is normal. Have seen mine 13-16 at idle when warned up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's likely not valve train noise. The injectors tend to make noise which can be mistaken for valve train noise because of the high fuel pressure. Similar to how direct injection gasoline engines have noisier injectors than their port injection counterparts.

Also, diesels clatter due to the compression ignition nature of a diesel. Injection timing and pilot injection make a large difference. However, with these being trucks, I don't think GM would have spent a great deal of time trying to quiet them down.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's likely not valve train noise. The injectors tend to make noise which can be mistaken for valve train noise because of the high fuel pressure. Similar to how direct injection gasoline engines have noisier injectors than their port injection counterparts.

Also, diesels clatter due to the compression ignition nature of a diesel. Injection timing and pilot injection make a large difference. However, with these being trucks, I don't think GM would have spent a great deal of time trying to quiet them down.

Oil pressure similar to mine with almost 52,000 miles.
Diesel engines make knocking and banging noises. Normal.
Nothing wrong with your new truck.
Turn up the radio volume.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts