Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
How are the flares holding up? My assumption is that they install with tape around the wheel arch and self tappers in the bottom corners.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sorry for the delayed reply on some of the questions. I didn’t receive or didn’t see the notifications and haven’t had time to get to the forum often or for very long.

The flares came from a dealer found on Amazon.com or EBay, I can remember at the moment. That approach was less expensive than buying from a local dealer.

The flares are holding up great after 9000 miles of about 7000 on the interstate. My only caution is, do not get wax on them. It is very hard to remove. For install, yes double sided tape and self tappers but only on the rear center/top. All the other screws went into the factory holes, from memory. I picked up some stainless self tappers at the hardware store as they were not included.

I have been considering installing fab fours bumpers and will have to cut the flares. I’m not thrilled about that... but that is not a reflection on their quality. If I could do it again I would have installed the bumper first and then the flares.

On the cover, I like it. The only downside is the seal over the tailgate is not tall enough to contact the top of the tailgate. Customer service at Undercover left a lot to be desired. I haven’t used the bike rack as we have had the cargo carrier installed since our first long trip. The only other concern, somewhat obvious, is the rack mount channels collect dirt and water. An improvement would a non-recessed mount channel but then it wouldnt work with the rhino rack system. The bike rack is still in the box...

I have attached a photo from our most recent road trip in December.
A51EFCA2-A099-40B0-8E53-30D51024279B.jpeg

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks for the quick reply. one last question. is the entire perimeter plastic or aluminum? the channels the rails lock into plastic or aluminum ?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
374AD00D-E057-40CC-9613-E94CE91303C6.jpeg
It’s been 2 years so I figure it’s time for an update. The cover has held up nice. The only fault is the plastic corners have faded a bit. I don’t think the flares have faded but the flaps have just a bit. It all still looks good together.

I ordered a Smittybuilt XL Roof Top Tent that will be mounted on the bed cover. I’ll post some photos of that when I get it on there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
View attachment 8179 It’s been 2 years so I figure it’s time for an update. The cover has held up nice. The only fault is the plastic corners have faded a bit. I don’t think the flares have faded but the flaps have just a bit. It all still looks good together.

I ordered a Smittybuilt XL Roof Top Tent that will be mounted on the bed cover. I’ll post some photos of that when I get it on there.
I have had mine right at 2 years as well. Still great. I would like to see them offer taller footers to raise the cross bars up about 18" or so over the bed. While not overall practical with the deck on, it would make a nice option with the deck off

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I agree. I have a roof rack system from Rhino Rack on my old Land Rover. Different length footers are available for it. They are a different style but I would bet they make longer footers in this style. FWIW, I think Rhino Rack makes really nice stuff, but I have ordered from their North American distribution center in Colorado 3 times, all 3 times parts were missing or wrong parts shipped. The Aussies need to come over and do a house cleaning of at least the packing / shipping department. Most recently I bought a 4 bar system. First shipment came with only the bars. Returned (wouldn’t just send the missing parts). Second one came with 4 footers and 2 bars. This time they agreed to send just the missing bars. Ordered from 2 different authorized vendors with the parts direct shipped to me from Rhino Rack. The 3rd screw up is when I ordered an extra bar and footers for the undercover bed cover. Footers and bar arrived but not all the fasteners. They made me prove I bought it to send me 2 square washers. The time they paid someone to waste time sending and reviewing 4 emails had to be many times the cost of the 2 washers and postage.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts