Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ‘17 Canyon Denali diesel, I really like the way it drives in town and on the road. I do have a couple of complaints, the main one being the key sticking in the ignition switch.

I’m having the stuck key issue and from what I’ve read it’s fairly common. It’s getting to be a real PITA, I’m reluctant to let my wife drive the truck and I won’t loan it to family members or friends just in case! So far I’ve always been able to get it unstuck but I’m getting tired of it.

I’m wondering if anybody on here has had theirs fixed by a dealer, I hear it’s fairly expensive. Did it cure the problem permanently or did it come back? Is it worth the cost!

Has anybody fixed their own and did it last, if so what was the fix?

I really like the truck but this issue is being to make it too much trouble to drive!! I’m kicking around getting rid of it with less than 30k miles.

Thanks, Terry

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have ‘17 Canyon Denali diesel, I really like the way it drives in town and on the road. I do have a couple of complaints, the main one being the key sticking in the ignition switch.

I’m having the stuck key issue and from what I’ve read it’s fairly common. It’s getting to be a real PITA, I’m reluctant to let my wife drive the truck and I won’t loan it to family members or friends just in case! So far I’ve always been able to get it unstuck but I’m getting tired of it.

I’m wondering if anybody on here has had theirs fixed by a dealer, I hear it’s fairly expensive. Did it cure the problem permanently or did it come back? Is it worth the cost!

I really like the truck but this issue is being to make it too much trouble to drive!! I’m kicking around getting rid of it with less than 30k miles.

Thanks, Terry
That problem usually stems from the micro switch at the bottom of the shifter. It's a safety thing that stops a driver from accidentally removing the key while the vehicle is moving and thereby locking the steering column. When you put the vehicle into park it's not releasing the solenoid the locks the key into the ignition.

Some have cleaned the switch and lubed it and that solved the problem. A few pulled the trim off the steering column and disabled the feature entirely.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Thanks, Terry
Hi my friend i had it happen to me in my 2016 colorado. All u got to do is buy some compress air from home depot or computer place and stick it in ur key ignition and blow . It will clean it. and also clean ur shifter button . That got rid of my problem 3 years ago never came back i would clean it now and then just to make sure.

·
Registered
155 Posts
That problem usually stems from the micro switch at the bottom of the shifter. It's a safety thing that stops a driver from accidentally removing the key while the vehicle is moving and thereby locking the steering column. When you put the vehicle into park it's not releasing the solenoid the locks the key into the ignition.

Some have cleaned the switch and lubed it and that solved the problem. A few pulled the trim off the steering column and disabled the feature entirely.
I had the issue a couple of years ago. I sprayed some contact cleaner into the lock and also on the keys. Then shot some graphite lock lube in the keyhole and on the keys. No issues since. I now repeat every oil change just to to play it safe.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Thanks, Terry
Terry,
Your post came at the right time! I have a 19’ Canyon Denali 2.8 and had to take the truck in to my local GMC dealer yesterday for the same issue. At first they couldn’t duplicate it (darn key came out!) but I had a video and after several attempts they were able to get it to stick. Turns out it was the key, the laser cut key had crud in it, cleaned the key and inside the key slot and it solved the problem. Dealer was super friendly (Woodall GMC Danville VA) and didn’t charge me (I didn’t buy the truck there).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update

Took truck to dealer they replaced the shift control module $564 labor and $205 parts $770 total. Add an oil change and $900 out the door. They generously threw in a free tire rotation and some air.

I can’t wait to go back!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update

Took truck to dealer they replaced the shift control module $564 labor and $205 parts $770 total. Add an oil change and $900 out the door. They generously threw in a free tire rotation and some air.

I can’t wait to go back!!!
Wow, I had the exact same thing done at a local Chevrolet dealer in Northern Indiana, total cost was $425.00. And by the way they told me have replaced a lot of these. Mine is a 2018.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts