Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for LED Headlight bulbs that will work for projection headlights. I like to get a pair and still use the factory dust covers. Any recommendations would be very helpful. I drive backroads to work with no street lights and halogens just are not cutting it for me.

Please help
Thank you in advance !

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used the Headlight Revolution and I am happy with the results. I saw the YouTube video before I chose.
I had to modify the covers, but they came out decent.
I had an extra pair of oem covers that I mounted over the the ones I cut.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I used the Headlight Revolution and I am happy with the results. I saw the YouTube video before I chose.
I had to modify the covers, but they came out decent.
I had an extra pair of oem covers that I mounted over the the ones I cut.
I had to modify my covers as well. But easy to do. I bought another pair, bandsawed the nonhemispheric ring sections from them, and glued the rings onto the existing pair. This gave me plenty of room.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Looking for LED Headlight bulbs that will work for projection headlights. I like to get a pair and still use the factory dust covers. Any recommendations would be very helpful. I drive backroads to work with no street lights and halogens just are not cutting it for me.

Please help
Thank you in advance !

CARID does not honor their warranty and their lights don't last. I went with Diode Dynamics. Their LED's fit in the stock covers. Admittedly, I went with them because their show room is ~1/2 hour from me. But we have ~7,000 miles on them so far, and so good. I bought an extra because we drive far and wide, and I don't want to replace with an unsafe stock light.

If I recall, they have some weasel words in their sales lit about how they are not ~"licensed for street use" or some such, but I shined on that. My lights are strong, but not blinding.

·
Registered
580 Posts
CARID does not honor their warranty and their lights don't last. I went with Diode Dynamics. Their LED's fit in the stock covers. Admittedly, I went with them because their show room is ~1/2 hour from me. But we have ~7,000 miles on them so far, and so good. I bought an extra because we drive far and wide, and I don't want to replace with an unsafe stock light.

If I recall, they have some weasel words in their sales lit about how they are not ~"licensed for street use" or some such, but I shined on that. My lights are strong, but not blinding.

I'm dying on this one... LMAO.....That's great.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Colorado CCLB, 2.8L Duramax, Shadow Metalic Grey. 2.5" level/1.5" blocks. Softtopper.
11 Posts
I tried out sylvania led when i bought the truck, after 3 months I decided they were dog turds. I have diode dynamics in the fogs (amber) and highbeams. Stedi projector specific in the lowbeams. And HOLY CRAP, they are brighter and throw further than our bmw's factory hid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2021 zr2 here and hope there is a bulb out there that does this:

*does not blind on coming traffic. No flashing me, stock truck, stock height, bulbs will be oriented at 9 and 3.
*drl low beam functions as a drl without modification and as a low beam at night.
*brighter than oem but not at oncoming traffics expense.
*plug and play without any modification of anything. (plug and play)
*affordable, not 100.00 per bulb.

Is there anything out there that checks the above boxes? If your have one, let me know.

Thank you

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Colorado CCLB, 2.8L Duramax, Shadow Metalic Grey. 2.5" level/1.5" blocks. Softtopper.
11 Posts
2021 zr2 here and hope there is a bulb out there that does this:

*does not blind on coming traffic. No flashing me, stock truck, stock height, bulbs will be oriented at 9 and 3.
*drl low beam functions as a drl without modification and as a low beam at night.
*brighter than oem but not at oncoming traffics expense.
*plug and play without any modification of anything. (plug and play)
*affordable, not 100.00 per bulb.

Is there anything out there that checks the above boxes? If your have one, let me know.

Thank you
If possible, try to find a bulb designed for projectors (single sided diode). Dual diode tends to scatter above and off to the edges of the projector. Less so than just a bucket light, but its still annoying for oncoming drivers and it will still glare like a mofo off of upcoming road signs. Diodedynamics, Stedi, morimoto etc (reputable brands tbat actually care about optics and testing) will produce better light where you need it vs intense light that ends up close that just kills your driving vision.
I have what has been called a "lighting fetish" by my wife. I suffer with a hereditary eye condition that makes glare a horrendous nightmare. I have spent thousands on lighting for my snowmobiles, utv, jeep and now this truck. It pays to spend the slightly more coin in the long term. But thats just my $0.02

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the Morimoto 2stroke 3.0's on my 2022 Canyon. No modifications needed. They would flicker and turn off when attempting to shift to Daytime Running Light mode. With Morito's anti-flicker attachment, the flickering problem was solved but now they run at full brightness. I may take them out and put them into my wife's Subaru. Although I do wonder if a low pass filter/different capacitor setup could drop the voltage enough for it to shift down to DRL Mode. The other set I've been looking at is DDM Tuning Saberled ProX 55W.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have the Morimoto 2stroke 3.0's on my 2022 Canyon. No modifications needed. They would flicker and turn off when attempting to shift to Daytime Running Light mode. With Morito's anti-flicker attachment, the flickering problem was solved but now they run at full brightness. I may take them out and put them into my wife's Subaru. Although I do wonder if a low pass filter/different capacitor setup could drop the voltage enough for it to shift down to DRL Mode. The other set I've been looking at is DDM Tuning Saberled ProX 55W.
"No modifications needed."

When I installed CARID's I had to buy another pair of covers, band saw the non hemispherical, ringed sections from them, and glue those to the back of my originals, to get enough room. But when I replaced the CARID's with Diode Dynamics, it looked to me like I could have fitted them in ahead of stock covers. What are other DD users experiences?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I dumped my LEDs for the 4TL-R HID retrofit kit from retrofitsource.com
So much more usable light. LEDs looked ok but do not compare to the retrofit, not even close.

Reactions: YukonDiesel

·
Registered
580 Posts
"No modifications needed."

When I installed CARID's I had to buy another pair of covers, band saw the non hemispherical, ringed sections from them, and glue those to the back of my originals, to get enough room. But when I replaced the CARID's with Diode Dynamics, it looked to me like I could have fitted them in ahead of stock covers. What are other DD users experiences?
I have the DD's and no cover mod was needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts