Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys I am in need of some advice. I installed a 3" strut spacer lift, and a 2.5" block kit in the rear. I also had the alignment done the very next morning. Truck looks damn nice like this. However now when I am accelerating between 20-40 MPH and when I am slowing down at any speed I get a vibration thru the whole truck. Like a seat vibrator type vibration. I t drives straight and doesn't pull at all any direction accelerates good and brakes good. Just has that vibration at times. I did order a differential drop kit, sway bar drop kit, and rear leaf shim 2.5 degree kit. I will have all of that installed by the end of the week hopefully and let you know if that changes it I'll let you know.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Might need to check your drivetrain? Does the lift change the pinion angle. Not too familiar with trucks, but I am familiar with lifting Jeep Wranglers. On Jeeps if you get over 3" of lift, you can get vibrations from the angle of the driveshaft being too steep vs. the pinion angle. Just a thought, like I said, I'm not well versed on truck lifts.

Otherwise, truck looks real good with the lift on it.

Reactions: Backwoodssob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might need to check your drivetrain? Does the lift change the pinion angle. Not too familiar with trucks, but I am familiar with lifting Jeep Wranglers. On Jeeps if you get over 3" of lift, you can get vibrations from the angle of the driveshaft being too steep vs. the pinion angle. Just a thought, like I said, I'm not well versed on truck lifts.

Otherwise, truck looks real good with the lift on it.

I appreciate the thought. And I am more and more convinced it is in fact the rear drive shaft. I just put the diff drop in which was 1.25", and the 1" sway bar drop and it didn't help. So I am hoping to get the rear axle shims in tonight and installed. I'll let you guys know.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay guys here it is. Great news, the vibration is gone. It was in fact the angle of the rear axle. I started with a 2 degree shim but it still had a slight vibration so I went to a 4 degree shim and it's gone. So advice... if you go with blocks you will need shims or relocate the mounts. If you go with the shackle drop I would GUESS you should be fine. I just prefer blocks over shackles. Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciated it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Glad to hear you were able to resolve your issue. I'll have to hit up Google to see exactly what you did for my own personal knowledge.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Did you need to angle the pinion up or down?
I have an add a leaf and a 1" block (2.25" total) and haven't had any issues on my crew cab short bed

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks. Glad you got it sorted out. Only issue I am having is topping out my rear shocks (they're a little too short now) very clunky when it happens.
I would imagine you will need some taller shocks with that 2.25" height increase. Did you also lift the front?

·
Registered
213 Posts
glad you got it figured out. I had an old Jeep XJ that I did a 3" lift on with a new leaf pack and had a hell of a time with vibration problems. It sucks when there are so many possible causes, all those parts start to add up fast when they don't fix the problem you're chasing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
glad you got it figured out. I had an old Jeep XJ that I did a 3" lift on with a new leaf pack and had a hell of a time with vibration problems. It sucks when there are so many possible causes, all those parts start to add up fast when they don't fix the problem you're chasing.

Very true.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I appreciate the thought. And I am more and more convinced it is in fact the rear drive shaft. I just put the diff drop in which was 1.25", and the 1" sway bar drop and it didn't help. So I am hoping to get the rear axle shims in tonight and installed. I'll let you guys know.
How did you do the shim? We raise ours 5 inches in all and the vibration is getting worse and worse

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
How did you do the shim? We raise ours 5 inches in all and the vibration is getting worse and worse
Angle shims install between the axle spring perch and the leaf springs. These can be used to correct driveshaft angle issues. U-joints need to be run at the correct angle to balance out the acceleration and deceleration phases of the upper and lower u-joints.

The real question is what did you guys do with your rear brake lines? they’re maxed out at 2” lift

1 - 20 of 22 Posts