Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok let's post our mpg after a lift and tires I have a six inch with 33 .15.7 not having it adjusted for the tires that's intown driving

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This truck does really good in the deep snow does the reared lock up in 4wd low couse it feels like it ??

·
Registered
158 Posts
My lift is being put on right now as I type this... Then I head for drill this weekend which is a 5 hour drive, so I will let you know how it does when I get back.
I have a feeling it's gonna suck (maybe 22-23 mpg's) until I get a programmer for it. (which a way expensive)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I got almost 29 mpg on the way back from Baton Rouge to east of Atlanta. 545 miles one tank of fuel. The display read 26.9 and 507 miles but it was 540 miles and calculates to 28.9. 265/65-18 which is 4-5% larger than stock rev per mile

This was at 65mph the whole time. On the way to Baton Rouge I got high teens because I was driving different speeds for a hundred miles at a time. I found driving 80 I get mid teens. I can scrape low 20s in the 70s. Sweet spot is definitely 65.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just got back from my drill weekend. (10 hours round trip)
I averaged 23 MPG's (which is what I was expecting)
I look forward to a good program...
Would be thrilled to get back to around 27ish MPG's

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey rockcrawler is your truck a 17 or 16 ?? If it's 17 be prepared for a challenge and have a lot of patience when installing that chip ( nightmare ) you need lots of computer skills or a good performance shop . there is no switch and the programmer only holds one tune program and one needs to be stock so there is only one tune and if you want another it's back to the computer to change it ! What I bought advertised and what I got was way different

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hey rockcrawler is your truck a 17 or 16 ?? If it's 17 be prepared for a challenge and have a lot of patience when installing that chip ( nightmare ) you need lots of computer skills or a good performance shop . there is no switch and the programmer only holds one tune program and one needs to be stock so there is only one tune and if you want another it's back to the computer to change it ! What I bought advertised and what I got was way different
What programmer did you get? If you get one from Duramax Tuner, you plug it in, install the tunes (I think it also works as a code reader and has the ability to clear them), and drive. Then, to change on the go, you get their DSP4 switch. On my LLY Duramax, I had to connect wires into the ECM then run wires into the cab. Think the new switch just plugs into the diagnostic port where you plug the programmer into. And if you ever make changes, like new bigger tires, you tell them and they send you new tunes. Should be very simple.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yes duramaxtuner. I went with them because they email back within minutes every time, they are very knowledgeable and helpful. You are correct about how it works. They also did correct my speedometer/odometer/mpg read out based on tire size

I may also be getting an edge CTS 2 to watch the boost and exhaust gas temperature and other things

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I drove a 17 with a tow tune and the tranny tune !!! It rips the power is cool but the tranny tune will blow your mind I also drove the stage three and it was really impressive

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I haven't seen an improvement of mpg with the tuner yet because I can't keep my foot out of it now. Big grins every time I push the pedal. My wife kept asking me why I was driving like that last night. Lol. Can't wait to pull the trailer on the tow tune

But, seriously, I expect to get better mpg on my commute because it's mostly two lane backroads and now the trans is shifting sooner so I can be in 6th at 42mph

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The trans tune is great. Still grinning whenever I push the skinny pedal, too.

No more lost child trans wandering around, boost always available too

·
Registered
158 Posts
I emailed Duramax tuner and this is there reply about the Tuners for the 2017 models.
(I wouldn't have guessed there was a difference between a 2016 & 2017)

Steve,

Yes there is a difference on the 2016 vs 2017 tuning for the 2.8 duramax.

The price for the 2017 will be $1153.00 and it includes the following:

SPADE Tuner
ECM Tuning
TCM Tuning
DSP4 Switch
EFI Live Unlock Authorization Code (2017 Model Year Only)

For now I will have you select one ECM tune as switchable tuning is not supported on the 2017 Platform but, when it becomes available you will receive a free tune upgrade from us that has all 4 engine tunes within the single file. We set you up now with the switch now, so you're ready for the upgrade when its available.

Please give me a call at the number below and dial my extension after you hear the lady start talking.
Was there anything else you had a question about on the 2.8 Duramax?

Have a great day!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
This truck does really good in the deep snow does the reared lock up in 4wd low couse it feels like it ??
Yes,
Z71 option trucks, as far as I know, all come with the eaton g80 rear locker. Your glovebox sticker will have the g80 rpo code confirming this. The g80 is a great factory locker, I prefer it over the toyota e locker in the Tacoma. It's seamless and smooth and requires no driver input. You'd never know it was there. I've had long reliable service from g80s.

I've had lockright, powertrax, spartan, arb, Detroit, toyota factory, chevy g80s and even spools, so I have an opinion on the matter (;

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes,
Z71 option trucks, as far as I know, all come with the eaton g80 rear locker. Your glovebox sticker will have the g80 rpo code confirming this. The g80 is a great factory locker, I prefer it over the toyota e locker in the Tacoma. It's seamless and smooth and requires no driver input. You'd never know it was there. I've had long reliable service from g80s.

I've had lockright, powertrax, spartan, arb, Detroit, toyota factory, chevy g80s and even spools, so I have an opinion on the matter (;

It's good to know someone who's been there and done that!!! Great resource.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I haven't seen an improvement of mpg with the tuner yet because I can't keep my foot out of it now. Big grins every time I push the pedal. My wife kept asking me why I was driving like that last night. Lol. Can't wait to pull the trailer on the tow tune

But, seriously, I expect to get better mpg on my commute because it's mostly two lane backroads and now the trans is shifting sooner so I can be in 6th at 42mph
Be very careful, I tuned up my 2500 HD DuraMax and now the tranny is slipping in OD. Only cost about 5k to have it fixed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts