Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quick faux tune:
While stopped, Press and hold the exhaust brake button for 6 seconds, then press and hold the traction control button for 5. Your intelitrac and stabilitrac lights will illuminate. Shift to M (or L), and back to drive.

Torque management will be disabled till you release the gas pedal, or till you reach 60MPH.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quick faux tune:
While stopped, Press and hold the exhaust brake button for 6 seconds, then press and hold the traction control button for 5. Your intelitrac and stabilitrac lights will illuminate. Shift to M (or L), and back to drive.

Torque management will be disabled till you release the gas pedal, or till you reach 60MPH.
Do you know does this work for stock tune also? I tried it and could tell no difference. If so, What am I doing wrong. All three lights are lit up.
Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
To answer the original question, I have GDE's emissions intact tune on my 2017 Canyon for the last 30K miles, the truck had 10K on it when I tuned it. The oil stays brown for the entire drain interval, looking like it came from a gas engine, instead of immediately turning inky black from EGR.

Monitored via OBD Fusion, the DPF regenerates every 725 miles with the tune, vs. 275 to 300 or so stock, due to the hotter less sooty burn from no EGR. Blackstone oil analysis reports are excellent. Fuel economy and response are far better, with no dead pedal. The engine even sounds better, humming nicely while cruising or on the throttle.

Also have GDE's transmission tune, the trans shifts firmer and earlier, much better than stock. I can zip around with traffic and not exceed 2,200 RPM. No more useless revving and torque converter "flaring". Averaging 27.5 MPG lifetime, vs. 25 stock, and the truck has stock sized but higher rolling resistance Cooper AT3 LT tires on it since tuning.

I think by turning off EGR and shutting off soot going into the intake and burning cleaner (at the expense of more NOx production I suppose), the tune will enhance engine and DPF life. By the way, their latest tune enables DEF injection, which I like, as it cleans the exhaust some and keeps the DEF injection system active, which negates needing to drain stale DEF of the tank every few years, and also avoid a possible CEL for a crusty unused DEF injector. Seeing 750 MPG on the DEF, a little worse than stock (which was around 900 MPG) but it not bad - a fair tradeoff I think.

My truck has also had a Provent 200 since new, that has done a great job of keeping oil out of the intake tract. Running Rotella T6 5/40, which is not Dexos 2 approved, but I figure my warranty is toast anyway, so I am running what I like. As mentioned, Blackstone reports are excellent, the T6 is doing a good job.

Of course, if something does let go with my powertrain, I am screwed with no warranty - I knew that going in, it was a risk I was willing to take. I bought the truck and intend to keep it until it carts me all the way down the road to Geezerville, which is about 15 years from now in my case. Once past 5/60 warranty period, none of this will matter anyway. The truck runs like it should now and is a joy to drive. It has been completely trouble free to date, knock on wood :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got 38.4 during the last 6 hour trip that I took.
What are you doing that I’m not. My best mileage on the computer is 29.7 on one trip. Normally see 28 mpg on computer., when calculated on actual fuel used it was 27.4mpg. My actual mpg is usually about 1mpg less than the computer reads. My computer over the last 20k miles on the b trip meter, says I average 21.7mpg. I tow a lot so not to disappointed. But never have I seen mpg in the 30’s.
Thanks for any advice. Paul

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have about 35,000 miles on my intact GDE tune and transmission tune.
i tow at max GCWR frequently and have had 0 issues with the truck so far.
Have ICON stage 2 lift (which I am very unhappy with, OME BP-51 next time), 255/75 tires, ARB bumper, Warn 8000# winch and Fab Fours rear bumper.
Still very much like my little truck.

·
Registered
911 Posts
What are you doing that I’m not. My best mileage on the computer is 29.7 on one trip. Normally see 28 mpg on computer., when calculated on actual fuel used it was 27.4mpg. My actual mpg is usually about 1mpg less than the computer reads. My computer over the last 20k miles on the b trip meter, says I average 21.7mpg. I tow a lot so not to disappointed. But never have I seen mpg in the 30’s.
Thanks for any advice. Paul
I think my best is 30.9 or 31.0. (Hand figured). Tuned and emissions fixed, AMSOIL Fuel treatment and flat highway with a Leer shell. Also had probably 500 pounds or so of gear in the bed too. Was coming back from Wyoming to Missouri and the best stretch where that mileage was achieved was from North Platte, NE to Kingdom City, MO.

Now, there was one point in the trip going down through the Big Horn Mountains in Wyoming that the trucks computer got up to like 50 mpg for the 25 mile best. I think the 50 mile is around 41 or something from that same area. But that’s not “real.” :)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts