Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I'm just trying to figure out why certain trucks have issues. They range from the 2016's to the 2018's with no rhyme or reason on if you have no issues or lots of issues. There are electrical issues but I'm not concerned about those. I'm concerned about the turbo fins being damaged, oil in the intercooler pipes, and the dpf plugging prematurely.

If you have had nothing but bad from your truck, or if your truck has been problem free, please respond. This is what I'm looking for based;

1) What kind of climate do you live in?
2) What oil do you use and how long do you go between changes?
3) What kind of driving do you do. How many highway and city miles a day/ week?
4) Do you tow or haul a lot?
5) Do you let the truck warm up when it's cold, and do you let it cool/ idle down after a decent to long trip?
6) Do you have a cold air intake?
7) What problems do you have, if any with the truck?
8) Year and make of truck and miles.

I'm just hoping that maybe we could find something useful from this.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1) Missouri. Hot in the summer and decently cold in the winter. Down to 0 or so this winter.
2) Change myself. Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w30. 5000-6000 miles between changes.
3) Truck gets driven usually 1.5 hours round trip a day, most of which is highway miles at 60-70 mph. Have only ever gotten a regen message once ever. Probably average 500-600 miles a week.
4) Do not tow hardly at all. Maybe pull a 6x12 foot utility trailer with 2 ATV's once a month.
5) Yes let it warm up when cold, and even a little when it's warm out too. And I also let it idle down for 30-60 seconds after a half hour or longer drive.
6) No cold air intake (or oil catch can).
7) No problems to speak of.
8) 2017 GMC Canyon with 32,500 miles on it.

·
Registered
587 Posts
So, I'm just trying to figure out why certain trucks have issues. They range from the 2016's to the 2018's with no rhyme or reason on if you have no issues or lots of issues. There are electrical issues but I'm not concerned about those. I'm concerned about the turbo fins being damaged, oil in the intercooler pipes, and the dpf plugging prematurely.

If you have had nothing but bad from your truck, or if your truck has been problem free, please respond. This is what I'm looking for based;

5) Do you let the truck warm up when it's cold, and do you let it cool/ idle down after a decent to long trip?

1. Desert, extreme heat in summer and mild cold in winter. But I drive all over the country and into Canada.
2. Mobile 1 dexos2, dealer charge oil.
3. Mostly in city driving 10 months out of the year and 2 months of cross country.
4. Tow maybe 3-4 times a year.
5. No, I don’t let it warm up or cool down.
6. No cold air intake. Have ProVent catch can.
7. Driver door actuator malfunction.
8. 2017 Canyon Denali 4x4 short bed. 13,500 miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts

1) Hot Summers, mild winter
2) Haven't even owned it long enough to do oil change (less than 2 months)
3) Have only put 2,000 miles on it since I have owned it (less than 2 months) but of that about 1/2 city 1/2 hwy
4) All Hwy miles have been while towing a 4400 lb trailer
5) Always let it warm up at least 10 min before drive, have not always let it cool down, but have a few times.
6) IDK
7) EGR clogged at 21,000 miles. Dealership has had vehicle 28 days and counting just since I have owned it, (again, less than 2 months) for factory warranty repairs.
8) 2016 Colorado 2.8 Diesel 4x4

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Plenty of bone stock vehicles have had problems, some right off the lot. Not sure mods or weather have any bearing on probs but I’ll play

1: Atlanta mostly warm to hot, handful of below freezing days
2: penn plat euro l @ every 5000 miles
3: 200 miles a week mostly short city trips weekend hwy miles
4: Every few weekends and when I do it’s about 80% of rated capacity
5: no/no
6: yes
7: I’ve had a few codes pop up, cleared them and never saw them again
8: ‘16 colorado ~15,000 miles

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here we go ......
1. New England. Warm/Hot Summers and mild to cold winters.
2. Dexos2. No oil changes yet as the truck is only a month old. I'm planning on using Mobil 1 in the truck after the 2 Dealer Oil Change Services. Oil Changes will be at recommended intervals. I do plan on doing used oil analysis at every oil change interval through Blackstone Labs.
3. Highway 70%. Around town 30%. Mainly road trips for snowboarding and surfing.
4. No towing yet. However, I bought the diesel because I plan to tow a boat in the future.
5. In extreme cold (say less than 20°F) I let the truck warm up until the temperature needle shows movement. Mild temperatures just a minute or two to warm up. No idle/cool down.
6. No cold air intake, catch can or similar mods.
7. None (insert sound of knuckles on wood here).
8. 2018 Colorado Midnight Edition with just under 3k miles. Yes, I've been driving the hell out of this thing since buying it last month :).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts