Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've had my 2018 GMC Canyon with the duramax for about 4 months now. It has 11000km on it now. Already one dead maf sensor it was covered in diesely soot. That was at 8000km. But anyways looking at that intake pipe it's filled with garbage from the EGR. I want to delete the EGR and dpf asap. But I'm having trouble finding a tune for the 2018. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
There are a handful of tuners out there who offer what you want. I'm going to recommend who I went with, hACKman Customs Tunes(Jason Hackler), which is sold and serviced by Shield & Spear Performance (Patrick Runge). Both are great guys and great to deal with, and very helpful with instructions. I was not able to take my truck to SNS as they are located in Colorado and I'm in Missouri, to have them do the delete process. But I'm mechanically inclined enough to be dangerous, and with their help and guidance, I removed the exhaust successfully. My EGR is disabled by the tune, but it is still on the truck for the time being. The tuning process was very easy. Here is the link to the tuning for the 2.8 LWN on their website https://www.snsperformance.store/product-page/hackmans-customs-efi-live-tuning.

I highly recommend them for tuning and deleting.

Once you get to the exhaust removal, if you do it yourself, here is a guide (that I had put together based on the help the provided me, along with the instructions from MotorOps) to aid in removal https://www.coloradodiesel.org/threads/exhaust-removal-guide.5669/

Green Diesel Engineering (GDE) also offers tunes I believe for 2018 trucks. So does Jordan Challiand and Dans Diesel Performance (Dan Clarke). I believe that Oz Tuner (Korey Willis) offers to delete tunes as well but not positive. So does MotorOps who is a subsidiary of Duramax Tuner out of Canada, but I DO NOT recommend them; have not heard anything good from MotorOps delete tunes. Duramax Tuner is alright for emissions intact. However, hACKman Customs and GDE also offer emissions intact tunes.

If it was me, I would choose either hACKman Customs or GDE; they have the most vehicles tuned and deleted out there with the best track records that I know of with the engines.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I appreciate the info. I'll probably go with GDE.

There are a handful of tuners out there who offer what you want. I'm going to recommend who I went with, hACKman Customs Tunes(Jason Hackler), which is sold and serviced by Shield & Spear Performance (Patrick Runge). Both are great guys and great to deal with, and very helpful with instructions. I was not able to take my truck to SNS as they are located in Colorado and I'm in Missouri, to have them do the delete process. But I'm mechanically inclined enough to be dangerous, and with their help and guidance, I removed the exhaust successfully. My EGR is disabled by the tune, but it is still on the truck for the time being. The tuning process was very easy. Here is the link to the tuning for the 2.8 LWN on their website https://www.snsperformance.store/product-page/hackmans-customs-efi-live-tuning.

I highly recommend them for tuning and deleting.

Once you get to the exhaust removal, if you do it yourself, here is a guide (that I had put together based on the help the provided me, along with the instructions from MotorOps) to aid in removal https://www.coloradodiesel.org/threads/exhaust-removal-guide.5669/

Green Diesel Engineering (GDE) also offers tunes I believe for 2018 trucks. So does Jordan Challiand and Dans Diesel Performance (Dan Clarke). I believe that Oz Tuner (Korey Willis) offers to delete tunes as well but not positive. So does MotorOps who is a subsidiary of Duramax Tuner out of Canada, but I DO NOT recommend them; have not heard anything good from MotorOps delete tunes. Duramax Tuner is alright for emissions intact. However, hACKman Customs and GDE also offer emissions intact tunes.

If it was me, I would choose either hACKman Customs or GDE; they have the most vehicles tuned and deleted out there with the best track records that I know of with the engines.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey guys I've had my 2018 GMC Canyon with the duramax for about 4 months now. It has 11000km on it now. Already one dead maf sensor it was covered in diesely soot. That was at 8000km. But anyways looking at that intake pipe it's filled with garbage from the EGR. I want to delete the EGR and dpf asap. But I'm having trouble finding a tune for the 2018. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks.
I have the GDE off road tune and I love it. As far as the delete exhaust goes, all I did was cut out the dpf and weld a piece of 3" pipe in it's place. I just couldn't justify spending $400 dollars on a new exhaust when the factory is basically a straight pipe once the dpf is removed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have the GDE GDM03 tune, but they didn’t send me the most recent 03a, which I think is the last update.

I haven’t yet installed the tune as I got cold feet, primarily for warranty. Anyone running the GDM03 that didn’t update and is happy with it? Or, has done the 03a?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the GDE GDM03 tune, but they didn’t send me the most recent 03a, which I think is the last update.

I haven’t yet installed the tune as I got cold feet, primarily for warranty. Anyone running the GDM03 that didn’t update and is happy with it? Or, has done the 03a?
Would you like to sell it?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Ummmm....good question. I know Duramax Tuner, when the quit selling delete tunes (like, 2016 I think was when they stopped), they would still honor or fix issues with systems they had sold. So, if GDE and others play by the same rules, then yes. However, can't say for sure on that.

The ECU may be a different thing though, compared to what I just mentioned now that I think about it. I mean, if something is wrong with the tune, they would probably help make it right. However, if the ECU which controls everything fails, and that was what their tune was tied to, and it needs replaced, then it would not surprise me at all that they would say you're SOL.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I wonder if it is possible to “clone” a ECU. I saw some new ECUs for sale on ebay a while back. I assume this must be sort of what the dealer does when an ECU goes bad.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I get plenty of power with just a set of tunes and no delete. I crawled under mine yesterday (no mean feat for a cripple) just to make sure all the right EPA crap was there (it was) as I had bought mine used unaware of "deletes". That is a lot of hardware to be swapping out and then back in again should EPA crack down harder. Not telling anyone what to do, just making an observation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts