Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've always been a big fan of Magnetic Drain Plugs for your engine. If you can catch those abrasive ferrous particles and hold them until your oil change, it will prevent them from circulating in the oil and causing micro-scratches and damage on the internal surfaces. During your Oil Change you just wipe it off and your ready for the next 7500 miles. Most differentials' and transmissions' drain plugs are magnetized to catch these particles, yet OEMs never include one in the oil pan.

I found two manufacturers that made them for our trucks. With shipping, one was $10 and the other was $41.60.

Magnetic Drain Plug - Thread Size M12 x 1.75 w/ Dog Point

Magnetic Drain Plugs for GM, Chevy, and Buick Automobiles (Size is M12x1.75x21 Magnetic Drain Plug for GM)

Review:

The powerslutracing.com plug is crudely made, yet appears to be effective. It threaded into the oil pan OK and seemed to fit fine, however I did not fill the sump with oil to see how well it sealed. I don't think there would be any issues with it.

The dimple plug is a quality piece. The magnet is stronger, I would guess ~1.5x more magnetic the the PSR plug. It has a lower profile and has a flatter surface to catch the particles. The blue coating was nice and also appeared to be a high quality finish. It threaded into the sump as expected and held oil without any leaks. Overall superior to the PSR plug, and it should, as it goes for 4x as much....

Final thoughts: The dimple plug is expensive, but it appears to be a lifetime unit. I bought both as I wanted to sample both, and now you guys can make an educated purchase. I will keep the PSR plug as a back up, just in case...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ill be installing one during the next oil change. Anyone have one installed and found debris ?
Just installed it in the Canyon, however, I've used one on my VW TDI for about 5 years. They do work. Any ferrous material, Nickel and some alloys of SS will stick. Every time I remove the drain plug there is a fine coating of "grit" on the magnet, which I wipe off before re-installing the plug.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I need to get one of these. Was just thinking about this the other day. Probably going to go with the Dimple plug.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I changed the oil last time, first time with the plug installed, on the Canyon, the dimple magnet was clean. I could not find any materiel stuck to the plug.

My Jetta always had lots of iron and other ferrous material on the plug. The early DPF equipped cars used fuel injected into the cylinder during the exhaust stroke to regen. I believe this, and high EGR flow rates washed some of the oil off the cylinders and caused excessive metal shedding.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm not 'cheap' by any stretch, but wanted something installed immediately...during break-in mileage, and ended up using super strong rare earth magnets from a computer hard drive. In fact, they're so strong I added some to the rear/front diff along with the tranny for additional protection.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts