Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Update:
just disconnecting the pcv breather from the intake isn’t going to work. I got a check engine light about 100miles into a weekend trip. It had to be from that, although my scanner wouldn’t tell me what code it was. Reconnected the hose and cleared the check engine light and it never came back.

Just got home and I have plugged the pcv with a 3/4” cap right where the sensor is on the intake. Hoping a capped off breather won’t throw any codes, although the open breather will. Also plugged the return line from the can.

Right now the engine crankcase is venting into the can 100% with no return to the intake.

Edit:
Keep in mind to never cap off the CCV on the back of the valve cover. You will blow out your engine seals, your crankcase must vent.

The connection I am talking about is the one on the intake hose, between the air filter and the turbo. There is a little neck there with a “sensor” this line is the one that sucks up oil vapor into your intake.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update:

Running the Catch can as an open pcv (or open breather) system produces lots of oil vapor that can be smelled inside the cab, especially at low speeds. Not recommended! Trust me

I have ordered a racor ccv4500 catch can which is designed for heavy machinery and filters 100% of the oil vapor from the air. This means that I have another filter to change out in my truck, but the benefits are big enough to make it worth it. No oil vapors in the intake and no smell.

0AC9298D-3DF5-4113-BA3A-E1E902C315A3.png

·
Registered
578 Posts
Update:

Running the Catch can as an open pcv (or open breather) system produces lots of oil vapor that can be smelled inside the cab, especially at low speeds. Not recommended! Trust me

I have ordered a racor ccv4500 catch can which is designed for heavy machinery and filters 100% of the oil vapor from the air. This means that I have another filter to change out in my truck, but the benefits are big enough to make it worth it. No oil vapors in the intake and no smell.

View attachment 5641
What did you do with the MM can?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That is horse ****. Apparently he is wrong, his product ain’t worth **** if he won’t stand behind it.
Well, I have emailed him in the most polite way that I could while explaining to him that his product doesn’t do what he says it does (disclaimer: for my application) Time will tell if he does anything for me, but it’s been installed a while. I’m not trying to slam the guy, the thing just doesn’t do jack for me

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Installed the racor ccv4500 today. Wish I took a picture of the comparison between the mm and the racor. The racor is made for heavy equipment and it’s about 4x larger than the Mouse. It wouldn’t fit where the old catch can fit but since I’ve rerouted my intercooler pipes I was able to tuck it under the intercooler pipe mounted on the air box. It looks tight but there is actually tons of room there.
537F0EBB-C78B-42A3-96D8-73A8D0CD2C95.jpeg
60F6524B-61FB-4E1E-9C1D-01277EEC3E63.jpeg

·
Registered
578 Posts
Installed the racor ccv4500 today. Wish I took a picture of the comparison between the mm and the racor. The racor is made for heavy equipment and it’s about 4x larger than the Mouse. It wouldn’t fit where the old catch can fit but since I’ve rerouted my intercooler pipes I was able to tuck it under the intercooler pipe mounted on the air box. It looks tight but there is actually tons of room there.
View attachment 5713 View attachment 5721
Did you reroute the collected oil back into the oil pan or are you doing the drain it out thing?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Did you reroute the collected oil back into the oil pan or are you doing the drain it out thing?
Going to be mounting the Mighty Mouse inside the inner fender, in front of the front passenger tire and I will have the drain plug accessible and I will be using it to collect the separated oil and drain occasionally.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Going to be mounting the Mighty Mouse inside the inner fender, in front of the front passenger tire and I will have the drain plug accessible and I will be using it to collect the separated oil and drain occasionally.
So you ended up keeping the MM to use as collector. Very genius of you. I was going to get a ProVent 200, but i’m Going to wait to see how your Racor work. I may go Tacor too.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So you ended up keeping the MM to use as collector. Very genius of you. I was going to get a ProVent 200, but i’m Going to wait to see how your Racor work. I may go Tacor too.
Yeah, it’s an expensive drain can but oh well i already have it in my possession and mounting brackets too

Provent would be a great choice as well. Both have been reported to let zero oil past according to the many reviews on colorado fans. I was worried this racor wouldn’t fit and if that was the case, I would’ve gotten the provent, since It’s much smaller. Both have replaceable elements

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yeah, it’s an expensive drain can but oh well i already have it in my possession and mounting brackets too

Provent would be a great choice as well. Both have been reported to let zero oil past according to the many reviews on colorado fans. I was worried this racor wouldn’t fit and if that was the case, I would’ve gotten the provent, since It’s much smaller. Both have replaceable elements
If that’s the case, i’ll Just do the ProVent. Since I like the smaller size

21 - 40 of 80 Posts