Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Yes, I saw that. I’m in no rush, so i’ll Look into getting some reducing fitting for it. Truck sit 5 out of 7 days a week anyway.
If you looked inside your intercooler pipe you’d be in a rush (; it’s amazing how much oil is in the intake. That’s how I found Out my aFe pipe had a pinhole at one of the welds. It’s funny to see an air hose bleeding oil. And that’s only after Two days. Also how I know the Mouse wasn’t working well
C40A6AEB-F017-47D8-880D-0A688376AC6F.jpeg

·
Registered
578 Posts
If you looked inside your intercooler pipe you’d be in a rush (; it’s amazing how much oil is in the intake. That’s how I found Out my aFe pipe had a pinhole at one of the welds. It’s funny to see an air hose bleeding oil. And that’s only after Two days. Also how I know the Mouse wasn’t working well
View attachment 5745
That is crazy to see that oil leaking out of the airline.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looking at the Provent vs Racor setups. Both seems pretty solid from reading this post and other related ones.

Any recommendations/pros/cons on one vs the other or are they both pretty much equal in quality and functionality?

Is one outperforming the other or better for any reason(s)?

Also, I see that many (but not all as it seems) are running a reservoir as well with their catch can setup. Is this necessary? What are the recommendations/pros/cons of adding one vs not adding one?

Thanks,

-W

·
Registered
578 Posts
Looking at the Provent vs Racor setups. Both seems pretty solid from reading this post and other related ones.

Any recommendations/pros/cons on one vs the other or are they both pretty much equal in quality and functionality?

Is one outperforming the other or better for any reason(s)?

Also, I see that many (but not all as it seems) are running a reservoir as well with their catch can setup. Is this necessary? What are the recommendations/pros/cons of adding one vs not adding one?

Thanks,

-W
My personal opinion is both the ProVent and Racor get the job done. I went with ProVent because of the smaller size. Get the one you want to look at when you open your hood.

Speaking from a ProVent point of view, a reservoir is nice to have so the oil can drain out of the filter housing. I use a 2ft clear hose in place of an actual reservoir. Seems to work for now.

As for adding or not, there was no visible oil in my air system, but I figure eventually the oil will show up since most everyone else seem to have oil running through already, so I added the ProVent to keep my airway free of oil. Just a preemptive measure.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've read this thread 3-4 times straight through. I just bought a 2017 Colorado Diesel last Saturday. Should I be thinking about some sort of catch can on a stock truck? I plan to do an intake and a tune a few years from now.
Also I noticed Pergrem also has the MM can but hasn't mentioned any problems with his.......?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have had mine for 27,000 miles and I haven't done it yet. I also haven't taken the intake off and looked in there to see how it looks. I figure, if I look, and I see it's bad, then I will worry myself into fixing it. But if I don't look, then I don't know how it is so I don't have to fix it.....o_O:confused::) haha. I probably need to, but I just haven't yet.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm under the assumption that if I haven't had a significant loss of oil between oil changes or a BIG oil spot on my garage floor, that the intake/turbo is performing as it was designed to do, that I'm GTG. Plus I'm too lazy to start tearing stuff apart just to see if their is a "perceived" problem that possibly d/n exist (if it ain't broke, don't fix it!), plus that's why I've got an extended warranty that I paid good money for. I guess I've spent enough money on performance parts, that I hope I can take a break from it for now. BUTTTTTTT, things can change when I do decide to start "poking around" LoL.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you never look then you’ll never be worried about it. Ignorance truly is bliss when it comes to these things because now I obsess over it :D
My problem is that now that it's winter here I might find myself out in the shop and start "obsessing" over it and if I keep reading your upgrade post's, it's going to start costing me MONEY!! LoL!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey guys. Im a little late to the party but just to include some experience Ive had. I did alot of research prior to receiving my truck, and decided on a catch can as one of my first installs. I have also read of this mighty mouse problem, so that was immediately out. I read a lot of posts about Provent and one with a less known name BMS. After waiting it out and seeing reviews, I went with the BMS can, which for the can only I got for $130 shipped. I installed the can with under 250 miles on the truck and checked it at the first oil change around 5500 miles, and found 1 tablespoon of oil caught. I installed a ProFab intake around that time and checked the OEM intake tubing for oil and found a VERY slight residue (im going to say it was from before I installed the can but who knows) so on my next oil change which will be awhile, ill rip off the intake tube again and see as it was installed after the BMS. Just some FYI

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got the profab tubes (did not like the AFE thin tubing and branding), provent catch can (thanks to this post and a few others like it) and tune installed this weekend. I also fabricated a custom tube to replace the cold side boost tube rubber tubing that does not come with the profab gear and has been known to fail. Still need to do a few minor tweaks (replace some hose clamps and potentially replace the silcone reducers on the catch can because they may deteriorate over time) but all is functional at the moment and I happy with the end result.

The custom cold side tube I fabricated is a temporary solution consisting of 2 x 90 degree elbows joined together. It seems to work fine but I would ideally prefer a one piece solution. If there is enough interest I will have a one piece tube replacement custom manufactured. I have not done it yet because it is not cost effective to design and produce just one but I do have the manufacturer waiting to build a prototype when ready.

If anyone is interested, PM me and I will create an interest list and start calculating costs.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Nasty! It looks like the cans w/ the filter element, such as the ccv4500 and the Provent are the way to go. Was there any oil sitting in the inside of the canister ?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a catch can on my Power Wagon and collect a LOT of oil and unburned fuel as well as water.
The problem I have with that truck is the catch can contents freeze solid all winter.
Not too wild about trying a plastic catch can that may split in the cold due to freezing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a catch can on my Power Wagon and collect a LOT of oil and unburned fuel as well as water.
The problem I have with that truck is the catch can contents freeze solid all winter.
Not too wild about trying a plastic catch can that may split in the cold due to freezing.
The Racor is metal I think.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts