Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck is 2017 crew cab long box with topper. It has 33,000 miles on itl.
Currently miles to empty shows 752 miles. I have already driven 120 miles on this tank. Last 450 miles shows MPG at 33.8 mpg at 60 to 65 MPH.

·
Super Moderator
561 Posts
Truck is 2017 crew cab long box with topper. It has 33,000 miles on itl.
Currently miles to empty shows 752 miles. I have already driven 120 miles on this tank. Last 450 miles shows MPG at 33.8 mpg at 60 to 65 MPH.
You're doing better than mine ever did.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You must be at sea level, im jelly.
Mine has always gotten a 33mpg max at sea level, with air dam delete, e rated tires, bilstien 5100s.
I live at 5000ft, usually 20-26mpg unladen, 16-20 carrying a pop up camper, 850# unloaded, 1000# wet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks good. With my cruise set at 62 mph that's what I get also. I took a 370 mile round trip yesterday with the cruise at 75 mph I got 29.4 mpg over the complete trip. Typically, I'm seeing 31ish at 70 mph. These are all open road flat Illinois ground. Mine's a 2018 with roughly 42,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
What's the instant mileage while traveling on the flat at a consistent speed? When I'm towing my trailer I hang around 13-14 give or take 1 or 2 mpg at 68mph depending on a head or tail wind of course.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've noticed towing an enclosed trailer is really wind dependent on the mileage. I have a 6x10 with the 6'6" height and somedays I get 14 mpg and other times it's up around 20 mpg. I did tow a 19' bass boat 13 hours each direction on a fishing trip a couple years ago. 2 guys, bed full to the rollup cover, and boat full of gear. Cruise set at 70 mph and total mileage for the trip was 20.4 mpg. We towed 13 hours to Canada checked in and unloaded, fished for 6 days, loaded up and came home.

·
Registered
372 Posts
This is what I am talking about
These trucks with the diesel get absolutely amazing mileage.
I bet the 2023 with the 2.7 will get between 18-23 depending on elevation wind ect.
And if you pull a trailer it’s going to hurt the pocket book.

Ford has had a lot of complaints about the Rangers poor fuel economy numbers.
GMs 2.7 will also be a fuel drinker. I think it will be fun though, the turbo will make it very lively.

If you take the average mileage of the Ranger and compare it to the our diesel
Ranger give or take 20-22 mpg
The 2.8 diesel. 30-32 mpg
Our Canyon / Colorado get 50% better mileage
50% of 20 is 10
10+20 is 30
why didn’t GM market it that way....
Our Diesel equipped Canyon/Colorado gets 50% better mileage than a Ford Ranger......

·
Registered
331 Posts
This is what I am talking about
These trucks with the diesel get absolutely amazing mileage.
I bet the 2023 with the 2.7 will get between 18-23 depending on elevation wind ect.
And if you pull a trailer it’s going to hurt the pocket book.

Ford has had a lot of complaints about the Rangers poor fuel economy numbers.
GMs 2.7 will also be a fuel drinker. I think it will be fun though, the turbo will make it very lively.

If you take the average mileage of the Ranger and compare it to the our diesel
Ranger give or take 20-22 mpg
The 2.8 diesel. 30-32 mpg
Our Canyon / Colorado get 50% better mileage
50% of 20 is 10
10+20 is 30
why didn’t GM market it that way....
Our Diesel equipped Canyon/Colorado gets 50% better mileage than a Ford Ranger......
They don' t market the Twins at all in the US. I think if they marketed it the way you stated, they would be worried the twins would eat into the full size truck sales profits more then they already do.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Kinda blows me away, the fear of the midsize eating into full size sales, full size sales numbers will never suffer with any significance, people and fleets will never stop buying them. Tacoma sales numbers however, those can suffer since the big 3 have surrendered the entire market to them until 2015 when the twins came out in force, and 2016 when the diesel was released. Im no marketing or econ guy but it just doesnt make sense.

·
Super Moderator
561 Posts
It was the same thing with the stRanger. Americans got the shaft because ford was protecting the F150.

Reactions: Coloradorob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys, new to the forum here. New '20 ZR2 owner here and thinking about different add ons for practical use but trying to maintain or even increase MPG.
Window deflectors (ordered and on the way)
Better, worst, same?

Mudflaps.. I know these usually drop MPG at highway speeds (i'm coming from a subaru WRX)
Since the ZR2 already gets less MPG than other trims with all the goodies, does the mud flaps decrease even more or it doesn't affect it much or any?
If anyone has them installed please let me know. These big tires really kick up a lot of ish on the road.

I already have to spray down truck almost every other day from parking near a tree. Eventually I want full underbody skid plates for function and maybe increase MPG.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hey guys, new to the forum here. New '20 ZR2 owner here and thinking about different add ons for practical use but trying to maintain or even increase MPG.
Window deflectors (ordered and on the way)
Better, worst, same?

Mudflaps.. I know these usually drop MPG at highway speeds (i'm coming from a subaru WRX)
Since the ZR2 already gets less MPG than other trims with all the goodies, does the mud flaps decrease even more or it doesn't affect it much or any?
If anyone has them installed please let me know. These big tires really kick up a lot of ish on the road.

I already have to spray down truck almost every other day from parking near a tree. Eventually I want full underbody skid plates for function and maybe increase MPG.
I went with alum full underbody skid plates. They give you the peace of mind that doesn't come with the factory plastic.

Consider bumper hitch mud flaps, for towing. They work great, and come off when you get there for a bike rack or whatever.

·
Registered
65 Posts
...New '20 ZR2 owner here and thinking about different add ons for practical use but trying to maintain or even increase MPG.
Window deflectors (ordered and on the way)... Better, worst, same?
LOL, forgive me but let's be realistic. Subies don't get great MPG (I had one for 9 years), but no one buys a ZR2 to fret about fuel consumption. Want to increase MPG? Swap the ZR2 suspension for a work truck or Z71 version (thus lowering vehicle stance), and of course reduce tire size accordingly. Swap the ZR2 cutaway bumper for a regular full bumper because exposing the leading edge of tires to the windstream is an MPG hog. Oh, and install an air dam under the chin... plenty of these sitting around since us Z71 owners all removed them in order to have non-minimal approach angle.

You can buy whatever plastic gew-gaws and 'overlanding' trick devices you want, but it ain't gonna improve your MPG. You might consider just accepting the facts of what you bought into. Just sayin'.

Reactions: Streamintrip

·
Registered
12 Posts
I went with alum full underbody skid plates. They give you the peace of mind that doesn't come with the factory plastic.

Consider bumper hitch mud flaps, for towing. They work great, and come off when you get there for a bike rack or whatever.
Im definitely gonna look into those full body skids. The bumper hitch flap seems very useful for when need for towing fancy toys and not have it on when not needed.

LOL, forgive me but let's be realistic. Subies don't get great MPG (I had one for 9 years), but no one buys a ZR2 to fret about fuel consumption. Want to increase MPG? Swap the ZR2 suspension for a work truck or Z71 version (thus lowering vehicle stance), and of course reduce tire size accordingly. Swap the ZR2 cutaway bumper for a regular full bumper because exposing the leading edge of tires to the windstream is an MPG hog. Oh, and install an air dam under the chin... plenty of these sitting around since us Z71 owners all removed them in order to have non-minimal approach angle.

You can buy whatever plastic gew-gaws and 'overlanding' trick devices you want, but it ain't gonna improve your MPG. You might consider just accepting the facts of what you bought into. Just sayin'.
Lol, the bed cap i current have give me about 30 mpg on the highway. Cant have a bike on the bed though. Anyone simple knows the simple logic of "can't have it all".
Glad to have your expert advice about the questions i asked! Maybe i'll spend the money to swap an electric motor. Instant torque, unlimited MPG.. WOW why didnt anyone think of that earlier!?
No but, yes I know the zr2 isnt going to be the most fuel efficient. Im just curious what numbers we will be looking at. Any benefits that will improve its ability to perform and still be able to increase MPG = win. Ways to improve each other my friend. That's whats its all about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im definitely gonna look into those full body skids. The bumper hitch flap seems very useful for when need for towing fancy toys and not have it on when not needed.

Lol, the bed cap i current have give me about 30 mpg on the highway. Cant have a bike on the bed though. Anyone simple knows the simple logic of "can't have it all".
Glad to have your expert advice about the questions i asked! Maybe i'll spend the money to swap an electric motor. Instant torque, unlimited MPG.. WOW why didnt anyone think of that earlier!?
No but, yes I know the zr2 isnt going to be the most fuel efficient. Im just curious what numbers we will be looking at. Any benefits that will improve its ability to perform and still be able to increase MPG = win. Ways to improve each other my friend. That's whats its all about.
I just road tripped to Norris Lake TN from Ft Lauderdale FL. The mpg average I had with my ZR2 was 26.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts