Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined the ranks yesterday after purchasing a 2019 LT CCLB! I went back and forth for a little bit the diesel engine but fuel economy is what got me interested in this truck in the first place. I was considering crossovers with all-wheel drive but would much rather have the utility of a "small" truck and in some of my comparisons/research, this truck has the potential to meet or exceed MPG's of some crossovers. I am coming from a 2011 Cruze eco MT with 141K miles on it. It was a good car that was still getting me around 40MPG average...this was another sticking point, I probably could have gotten another few years out of her but I worked out a decent deal on trade-in and discounts. The truck, of course, rides so much nicer. It has the dark ash-colored leather seats which I wasn't sure about in photos but in person, I like them.

I will be trying to learn as much as I can to get the most out of this truck. Daily duty will be commuting to work (IT) but my wife and I also own an equine business that is her full-time gig training horses, teaching lessons, etc. She has a Ram 1500 with air ride which has been a great machine. So this truck could see some light occasional work hauling stuff or possibly towing a camper for shows.

I'm in West Michigan so this truck will see some cold...people keep telling me not to get a diesel because I will have issues in the winter but I hope that is not the case.

**Quirks I am noticing already...or maybe it's just me:
Lumbar support, not sure if it is holding when I set it but maybe it's just me figuring out my settings still.

Rearview mirror, I can't seem to angle it up high enough to give me a good view out the back with window with where I want the seat height to be set at. -I am not a tall guy 5' 9" or so.

While messing with the rearview the plastic trim piece behind it seems to fall off easily. I need to look at it closer to see if it is just not snapped in or if it really is that loose.

Left footrest...I have the all-weather mats which add some left foot support but I am used to a more substantial perch. Will have to adjust or see what options there are.

-If you actually read all this, thanks LOL. excited to have this truck!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
There isn’t a real issue with our trucks in the cold. They start very well, so long as you let the glow plugs warm the engine up before trying to start the truck. The only known issue I know of is ice building up in front of the turbo from moisture condensing and freezing and shaking loose the next time you start the truck and then being sucked through the turbo. Generally it bends some fins on it, and supposedly makes a different sound so you would know something is up. Your truck would be covered under warranty, being a 2019, should it happen.

I can’t say I’ve looked at my turbo in the 2 years I’ve owned the truck, but I haven’t heard anything either, so haven’t bothered to look. It does get cold here in Missouri or at least enough to freeze things. Hoping that they fixed this known issue on the 2019 and newer trucks. Adding an oil catch can with a can heater supposedly fixes the issue of letting ice get to the turbo though.

Good luck with your truck. Hope you enjoy it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So with the glow plugs how quickly do they warm the engine and is there some indication on the truck? Also is it not advisable to remote start in the winter? It will be garage kept at night but out in a parking lot without being moved for 9-10+ hrs during my work day.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
You’ll see it. It’s one of the lights that comes on near the tachometer needle. It will look like a squiggly. See the picture I attached.

2923869C-E2A5-444F-A886-57CBC582E7F9.png

I think it was around 0 a few days and the truck still started. The light stayed on for maybe 5 seconds or so, and then went off. Then you can start the truck. I told my wife about this but she forgot and would start the truck without waiting. Usually it would still start, but it might struggle a little. Wait for it to go off and you’ll be fine.

With the remote start, because of the temperature gauge on the truck, it knows the temperature, so it will wait until he glow plugs go off before it starts the truck. You’ll notice the truck take a while before it starts after engaging the remote. So remote starting is fine. Also, remote start lasts for 10 minutes then the truck will shut off. You can make it go longer, if you hit the remote start again before the 10 minutes are up, and then it will go another 10 minutes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts