Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have all options checked in the Nav menu to show traffic, but I still do not show traffic and delays such as construction on my screen. It is all very obvious with Google maps but I do not like to mess with my phone while driving. Am I missing something in the menu?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Traffic comes from Sirius travel link with weather. it's a subscription, and it doesn't show on the map as far as I remember. I think I remember it having its own screen to show wrecks etc. have you tried apple car play or the android one? I prefer it over the factory nav

·
Registered
213 Posts
pretty sure mine went away after the 3 month trial. Also traffic only shows up on major roads anyway, and from what I saw the accidents only show up if you have a destination in the nav and it is part of your route.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Unfortunately not, at least with Apple. They force you to use apple maps that while it has improved, is still lightyears behind google. With all this said I actually find the build in Nav a great system, traffic or not.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Or you could always use your phone and just leave it cradled in one of these: http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-166-UN7PV1U , or this one http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-166-UN10U

I use this whenever we go on trips and I need navigation. I had this RAM mount before I got the Canyon. I always use my phone, which is also because I wasn't going to pay for the truck's navigation when I have a phone capable of doing so. I like the X-Grip mount with suction cup because I can place the phone wherever on the window I want and have good line of sight, yet not be having to take my eyes off the road when driving and trying to watch the navigation and listen to the annoying lady telling me where to drive (not talking about my wife either :) ).

I have the one in the second link. The first one is so you can run a lead direct to your battery that is fused and be able to charge your phone without tying up one of your cig power ports. Pretty nice. They do have adhesive base mounts as well, and many many other mounts, but those are all more permanent or would damage your vehicle upholstery by drilling holes in things....again, why I like the suction cup one. It's rather stout and holds my Samsung Galaxy S6 Active. It can fall off though after time. If you clean the window properly and wet the suction cup before applying it to the window, it will stay on there for quite a while, probably a month or so. I leave mine off until I need it though.

If you have never used them, RAM mount makes great products. I use them daily for my Ag Leader monitors inside tractor and combine cabs holding them up. And they have some weight to them, probably 5 pounds. Not a lot, but when you take that weight and put it on the end of a stick and bounce it through a field, it starts to get heavy then. But once you crank down locking knob, it stays put until you loosen it. They have a pretty wide range of adjustment, so you can get it into a position that you like. Just a thought, if you really do like having the functionality of Google maps ;) Also, the one in the second link, you can find them on Amazon for $40-50.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Is there a way to get Google maps on my dash screen?
This is lightly covered in your MyLink manual (look for Apple CarPlay/Android Auto in the back index) or on the GM website. Basically if you have an Android phone download the 'Android Auto' app and when you plug the phone into one of the USB data ports and launch the app with the vehicle running it will connect and the generic 'Projection' icon on the radio screen will change to the Android Auto icon.

AND it is way better than the built in Navigation. Apple Carplay implementation should be similar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts