Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
22k on truck and EGR valve is black and nasty, almost plugged off..........I have a pic but this site wont let me post a pic for some stupid reason

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I believe it. Between the oil sludge in my intercooler pipes from the pcv breather and then the egr on top of that I can imagine what buildup is in there

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EGR.png
OK it finally let me load a pic

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Fwiw, GDE (green diesel engineering) is releasing a tune (which isn’t green) which will disable the EGR and the DEF system. Nothing will need to be removed or unplugged and the truck will function normally and still regen etc.

So you get none of that gunk in your intake without having to do a full on delete.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
please keep us tuned when that comes out

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
In all honesty, I am probably going to keep my emissions intact tunes and clean my intake at 30k, 60k and trade it in at 90k

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Fwiw, GDE (green diesel engineering) is releasing a tune (which isn’t green) which will disable the EGR and the DEF system. Nothing will need to be removed or unplugged and the truck will function normally and still regen etc.

So you get none of that gunk in your intake without having to do a full on delete.
If the truck still goes through regens, it will still build up crap in the DPF though (and possibly the EGR, but not sure about that?). I could see turning off that stuff and leaving it intact. It wouldn't continue to build up crap (as fast at least), but I don't see how the tune can turn it off and yet the stuff still work?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If the truck still goes through regens, it will still build up crap in the DPF though (and possibly the EGR, but not sure about that?). I could see turning off that stuff and leaving it intact. It wouldn't continue to build up crap (as fast at least), but I don't see how the tune can turn it off and yet the stuff still work?
EGR is meant to reduce nox levels by lowering the combustion temps and reburnjng some of that exhaust again. Def also reduces Nox by being injected into the SCR. Turning off the EGR would make your noX levels go up, which would make your DEF consumption go way up. DEF only handles NOX. DEF has nothing to do with regens or the DPF so those function normally catching soot and burning it off. This is still not a legal tune because it defeats the emission systems and makes your nox levels go up. The only benefit to running this tune is having the EGR closed in conjunction with the normal power gains you get from the tune.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
It will just keep doing it. It’s probably not easy to get to. Think I MIGHT clean it once and then I would either delete the truck or sell it if I couldn’t delete or deal with cleaning it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just bought a new Colorado ZR2 Diesel. Started using a fuel additive that's supposed to reduce this kind of buildup. Anyone had any experience with additives, good or bad? (sorry for the thread jack!)

Thanks,

Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts