Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 gmc canyon with over 60k on the clock. Bone stock. Yesterday the truck went into an active regen but then quickly goes into reduced power mode. I clear the code and it says cleaning filter again. A loop.
I was thinking this would be a good time to delete the truck. Called a few companies about the tune and they all say they no longer sell. The EPA has cracked down. I would rather delete than sprmd money on figuring out emissions problems. Is it still possible? Anyone know where I can buy the tune? Is it possible to delete and still leave most of the componemts on the truck? If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This EPA stuff is so recent (within the last 2 weeks or so) that your guess is probably as good as anyone's at this point. BTW it sounds like your DPF may have reached end of life for some reason or one of the pre or post sensors is bad.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Deleting is extremely difficult now, as SFLTruck said. 2 weeks ago it was okay, but now, not so much. You could still probably get someone to do a delete tune on your truck, but it's almost going to have to be an independent person as all the big names that I know of that did it really well, have stopped, due to the crackdown. They hit Kory Willis who owned PPEI/ Oz Tuner with a huge fine and also had a few "raids" on some known diesel performance shops, and most everyone that tunes for our engine and all other major diesel engines is out of the game now. The only major company I still know of doing delete tunes (I just checked their site) is Motor Ops who is out of Canada. They are the only other one out there who has a "proven" platform. I have heard mixed reviews on their tunes though. But, if you really want to do it, they would probably be your best bet. Going with an independent could end badly as our trucks are very finnicky with tuning if it's not done right.

As for the whole getting you an exhaust system, that's just about as difficult. You could cut out the DPF with a grinder and weld in a piece of straight pipe I suppose, or go to a custom exhaust shop and get them to make you one.

That's the best advice I can give you if you want to go this route.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Deleting is extremely difficult now, as SFLTruck said. 2 weeks ago it was okay, but now, not so much. You could still probably get someone to do a delete tune on your truck, but it's almost going to have to be an independent person as all the big names that I know of that did it really well, have stopped, due to the crackdown. They hit Kory Willis who owned PPEI/ Oz Tuner with a huge fine and also had a few "raids" on some known diesel performance shops, and most everyone that tunes for our engine and all other major diesel engines is out of the game now. The only major company I still know of doing delete tunes (I just checked their site) is Motor Ops who is out of Canada. They are the only other one out there who has a "proven" platform. I have heard mixed reviews on their tunes though. But, if you really want to do it, they would probably be your best bet. Going with an independent could end badly as our trucks are very finnicky with tuning if it's not done right.

As for the whole getting you an exhaust system, that's just about as difficult. You could cut out the DPF with a grinder and weld in a piece of straight pipe I suppose, or go to a custom exhaust shop and get them to make you one.

That's the best advice I can give you if you want to go this route.
Thanks for the help... I just ordered it from motor ops..
I will let you know how it goes

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2016 gmc canyon with over 60k on the clock. Bone stock. Yesterday the truck went into an active regen but then quickly goes into reduced power mode. I clear the code and it says cleaning filter again. A loop.
I was thinking this would be a good time to delete the truck. Called a few companies about the tune and they all say they no longer sell. The EPA has cracked down. I would rather delete than sprmd money on figuring out emissions problems. Is it still possible? Anyone know where I can buy the tune? Is it possible to delete and still leave most of the componemts on the truck? If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
I have the same truck as you. at a little over 60k this happened to me. Thought it was bad diesel which sometimes happens. I flushed a good bit of seafoam through truck and it went away within a couple days. no problems since.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the same truck as you. at a little over 60k this happened to me. Thought it was bad diesel which sometimes happens. I flushed a good bit of seafoam through truck and it went away within a couple days. no problems since.
Interesting. I have been getting my diesel fuel from costco and they seem very busy. Seems unlikely that the fuel was bad. If it was bad, why would this regen issue be the result?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting. I have been getting my diesel fuel from costco and they seem very busy. Seems unlikely that the fuel was bad. If it was bad, why would this regen issue be the result?
Well, I don't think the fuel was related, that was my first thought. I do think the seafoam cleaned/cleared it. The only difference was that I didn't give it enough time to see if it looped like yours. It did it two days in a row and then the next day I put the sea foam in it and then I never saw it again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I don't think the fuel was related, that was my first thought. I do think the seafoam cleaned/cleared it. The only difference was that I didn't give it enough time to see if it looped like yours. It did it two days in a row and then the next day I put the sea foam in it and then I never saw it again.
Just finished tuning and deleting! Guys from motorops were super helpful. He even logged into my computer to get the settings correct. The tune made an enormous difference.
Just picked up the truck from my friends shop where he did the delete. Runs awesome. Straight pipe sounds good. Not too loud.
Still have one issue and a question..
I still keep getting the cleaning exhaust filter keep driving on the screen. I believe all sensors were disconnected properly.
Do I need to put a new downpipe in? The dpf was removed and straight pipe welded in. He wasn't sure of we need a new downpipe. Anybody know how to get that message to stop?
Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just finished tuning and deleting! Guys from motorops were super helpful. He even logged into my computer to get the settings correct. The tune made an enormous difference.
Just picked up the truck from my friends shop where he did the delete. Runs awesome. Straight pipe sounds good. Not too loud.
Still have one issue and a question..
I still keep getting the cleaning exhaust filter keep driving on the screen. I believe all sensors were disconnected properly.
Do I need to put a new downpipe in? The dpf was removed and straight pipe welded in. He wasn't sure of we need a new downpipe. Anybody know how to get that message to stop?
Thanks

Prior to doing the "Delete" was that message displaying on the DIC?

·
Registered
28 Posts
From all the reading I have done for the past few years there was quite a few posts that recommended making sure all codes were cleared prior to doing a "delete". It makes me wonder if once the "keep driving" message was set, it's getting stored in the ECM in a separate spot (for lack of better term) then the actual ECM code that's running the vehicle. This is just a stab not having a block diagram of the ECM logic. Based on the "clear the code" comment above I am wonder if you will be able to get that cleared. I would contact the tuner and ask the and please lets us know how you make out as I'm sure a bunch of us are interested in your findings.

·
Registered
945 Posts
There was a tuner who was able to fix that problem. However, they no longer give out such law breaking advice unfortunately. MotorOps may able to clear it out for you. What needs to happen is a forced regeneration or at least make the computer think it’s went through one. Then it will stop giving you that message.

But SFLtruck is right: prior to deleting, you had to have no messages like that showing up. Unless you can get it to do what I said, it will continue to plague you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am considering this option as well. Having the same issue as cheerfulpimp. was interested if DIC message could be removed without forced regen. But reading what you guys are saying it may not be. So my question is without software can you force a Regen yourself if I decided to replace NOX sensor? I just purchaced this truck with 92k mi. and wondering without doing a delete if I made a mistake.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Unfortunately, this kind of op will have remain off the radar for the foreseeable future. I don't have one and probably won't be able to get if and when I need it. Don't ask-don't tell.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Unfortunately, this kind of op will have remain off the radar for the foreseeable future. I don't have one and probably won't be able to get if and when I need it. Don't ask-don't tell.
I finally finished my tune and delete. The guys at motorops rewrote the tune and took all error messages off the dic. Truck is running awesome with the delete and tune. Super happy with it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts