Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone. I'm new here and I hope, this forum can help me.
I have lost my key fob from my 2020 Colorado, I contacted dealer and they quoted like $600. plus gotta tow the car there!!! This is way too expensive... Any cheaper solutions that anyone has come across maybe? Any advice highly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have lost my key fob from my 2020 Colorado, I contacted dealer and they quoted like $600. plus gotta tow the car there!!! This is way too expensive... Any cheaper solutions that anyone has come across maybe? Any advice highly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
I'm assuming you only had the one key for it correct?

Reactions: lunick

·
Registered
380 Posts
Start calling locksmiths some have the ability to do keys and fobs, the price has to be better then $600

·
Registered
380 Posts
I purchased 3 keys online for $11 each and if you have two keys registered on the truck you can add the additional ones yourself. I called a mobile locksmith to cut the keys and after some haggling I got the three cut for $80.00. Not a great deal but fair because the guy had to drive to me. The fob itself is another story I have two spares of those but they are not registered to the truck as of yet till I figure out a way.

Reactions: lunick

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had only one key/fob when I bought the truck. A locksmith cut/programmed a spare for $70 I also had a fob programmed for my truck for $30. I never checked with the dealer, but I am sure it would have been many times more than what I paid.
Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had only one key/fob when I bought the truck. A locksmith cut/programmed a spare for $70 I also had a fob programmed for my truck for $30. I never checked with the dealer, but I am sure it would have been many times more than what I paid.
Good luck.
thanks, it took me a while but finally I figured this out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey everyone,
I just wanted to post an update, after a long research I did, here is what I came up with.

First, here is a great article with some ideas on how to find lost car keys.

MAKE SURE YOU CHECK IT OUT BEFORE YOU CALL FOR SERVICE:
How To Find Lost Car Keys - List Of Most Common Places, Tips & More

Hopefully, you wont need any service ;)

I guess there is a huge difference between different keys, models, etc.
Also locksmiths and dealers charge different amounts for the very same key.
It helped me save a lot of money (more than $200).

Generally speaking, to get a replacement key, you have three options:
1.Call an automotive locksmith that offers a mobile service for cars. Here is a phone number for a company that have many different locations and locksmiths: 800-223-1453. I think they work all around the US but not sure. Give them a call and ask.
2.Tow the car to the dealer.
3.Order a key online and have the dealer or locksmith cut and program it for you (if necessary).
Here is the link to read more:

If you do call a locksmith or the dealer, don’t forget to mention some important information so they will check if they have the key blank and the necessary tools to code you the new key:
1.Year, make and model of the car
2.Your exact location including street address and zip (for the locksmith to find you easily)
3.VIN number of the car located on the dashboard – very important
4.Make sure you can show them proof of ownership – otherwise they will not make you a new replacement key.

Regarding the cost, it really depends on the type of key you had.
There are 3 main types of keys:
Non-chip keys: for older models (mostly 2000 and older)
Transponder chip keys – these types of keys must be coded on site with a special machine, otherwise the car wont start. These are more expensive to make
Key fob – push to start – these are the most expensive types of keys. Mostly made for models made after 2012.
The average cost is somewhere between $200-$460. It also depends on your location, time of day, weekend, etc etc.
Here is the link for some additional information:
2021 Car Keys Replacement Cost - Locksmith, Dealer, Online. Tips & More

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
One thing that very few people know and the dealer wont admit it works is that you can program a new key without any scan tool. Even if you lost your one and only key you can program a new one without a scan tool. Might not work on all GM products but does on the HDs up till 2019 so assume it would on the Colorado also. If you lost key and programming a new one its a 30 minute process. Stick key in and turn al the way to start then relax back to run and let sit till security light goes out (10 min.) turn off an do the same procedure again. Wait the 10 min. then do it again. Wait the 10 min till light goes out for the third time then cycle key a few times and bingo it will start.
Edit i believe this procedure will erase any previous keys so if you lost a key and find it might not work and need to use the add a key procedure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To ad a second key all you need to do is use original start truck and shut off (not sure if this step is necessary or not) then insert new key and cycle from off to start (make sure to go all the way to start) and back tree times in succession. Your key should now be programmed. Fobs are a different story and require a scan tool for programming that i know of.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts