Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put a 12V power outlet in the bed of my truck to power a little refrigerator (ARB 50 QT). I'll probably just build a little box to hold the receptacle so I don't have to put holes in to mount in the wall of the bed. I want to run 8 gauge wire to it and am wondering about approaches - do I try to take it directly off the battery or is there some good power source closer by? If I do come off battery, is there some nice connector block that's recommended? The max pull will be under 10A but I want the 8 ga to decrease the voltage drop. Truck is under warranty so I don't want to do anything that will mess that up.
Any suggestions appreciated,
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I'm not sure what mine is rated at, but I have a 3 outlet 12v receptacle that I got installed when I got my Leer truck cap. It is listed in the Leer accessories.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Burgess. If you get a chance some time to look, I am curious if you can tell where they took the power off. I was trying to decide about running a dedicated line direct to the battery or just tapping into the hot in the trailer connector. I haven't looked into what gauge wire they run back to the connector but I kind of doubt it is 8 ga, which is what I'd like to use.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Here is where they mounted the power port. The Box up above goes to my 3rd brake light and the cabin light I had installed as well.

Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Vehicle door Bumper

View of the cables leaving the bed and going under the bedrail. Looks like the power wire coming out of the power port says "16 AWG" wire.

Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive lighting Vehicle

Here is where the wires go to when the disappear under the bedrail. The big thick one connects to my brake/ running lights.

Wire Electrical wiring Technology Electrical supply Bumper

Better view of the power wire. It is the wire on the right coming from above. Then it makes a connection to black and red wires. The black attaches to the frame for a ground. The red goes up and T's into those red wires on the left (sorry I didn't get a picture of where those go though; not sure where they do go to) and a then goes up to that fuse. Didn't pull it to see what Amperage it is though, I can look later.

Electrical wiring Wire Cable Electrical supply Technology

Definitely doesn't run up to the battery though, I don't have any extra wires up there. Just connects to the tail lights I figure. And it isn't heavy wire either, just 16 gauge.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Woe, thanks for all that Burgess, I really appreciate it! I think I might try a simpler method and just use a 7-pin to 12V power outlet adapter and plug directly into that. I am now trying to find out what gauge wire Chevy runs to the power pin in hte trailer connector. I may post a new thread if I don't get any hits here.

They used 16 ga on yours but I really want more like 8 ga to limit voltage drop. I doubt they use 8 ga
to that trailer connector though.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks RCD, I was planning on using an in-line fuse. What is the purpose of the relay?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Thanks RCD, I was planning on using an in-line fuse. What is the purpose of the relay?
To put the circuit on a switch so it’s on anytime you leave the switch on (could be with ign or not) OR to make the circuit live only with the key on

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, thanks. As long as you're here, do you know if any of those raised ovals in the bed area pop off to allow passing wire through? I was looking at them and it seems like they should but I didn't want to try to pry one off unless I knew for sure.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
OK, thanks. As long as you're here, do you know if any of those raised ovals in the bed area pop off to allow passing wire through? I was looking at them and it seems like they should but I didn't want to try to pry one off unless I knew for sure.
There are for sure two at the front of the bed. I popped them out and drilled holes to run the drains for my cover and then reinstalled them with the hose thru them. There may be more as well but there are for sure two up front

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you just use something sharp to push in under them and pry them off? I'm trying to figure out how I can do it without scratching them or bed.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Did you just use something sharp to push in under them and pry them off? I'm trying to figure out how I can do it without scratching them or bed.
I don’t remember how I got them out. They’re light plastic tho. You didn’t get factory spray in liner?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts