Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 16 Colorado now has 76,000 miles. It has had some issues. At 20K, the turbo failed 200 miles from home towing a camper and I had to cancel the trip and limp home. 2 weeks to fix. It has had DEF codes that wanted to limit my top speed every 100 miles so I would reset the codes to get home, then the issue eventually stops (low DEF pump pressure). The big problem is a bucking issue when accelerating briskly past 2700 RPM, the injectors cut out for 1/4 second and come back on hammering the drivetrain. This one started at just under 60K miles, but it didn't happen at the dealer (McGuire in NJ) and they never logged the visit since they didn't keep the truck and didn't see it happen. At 60,500, it got much worse, they kept the truck for a week. It did it every day but they couldn't find out why and didn't know where to look and had me take it back saying wait till it gets worse so we can find it. I told them I was nervous about the bucking killing the trans. They said don't worry, the trans will be fine. I monitored the injector pulses and found that the computer was turning off the injectors when this happened. I plotted the injector traces and brought the truck back, and now that they had a place to look, they kept it again and started dealing with corporate. After 3 weeks, they said engineering says it is normal, the ticket is closed out. The service manager at McGuire said he can't argue with corporate about it being normal because they would hang up on him, he then just left. He also refused to take a test drive with me. Corporate said I will have to go to another dealer to re open the ticket. I went to another dealer and had a trans flush (figured it was due) and had them relearn the crank to see if it would help. It actually did help for a month or two, but then came back, sometimes hammering multiple times while accelerating and every time I accelerated. I ended up at another dealer, and at least this service manager went for a ride and when it bucked, his response was "what the F... was that?!?!" He said definitely not normal and made an appointment to bring it in, but it was in about a month since they will have it for a long time and I will need a loaner car. He also said don't worry about the trans, these things are bulletproof and when not shifting the pressures are very high and it is clamped tightly. We towed the camper 600 miles (it does not busk when towing since the truck does not accelerate past 2700 fast enough to have the problem) and now the torque converter starts shuddering. We head back home again babying the truck, and the shuddering keeps getting worse. Of course now the bucking is gone, I guess because the truck accelerates differently and the ECU doesn't see a reason to cut the injectors. We now bring the truck in for its appointment (76000 at this time) and after 2 weeks, they get back to us saying the torque converter is bad and it took out the trans. It will cost about $5400 and then they STILL will have to find the cause of the bucking after replacing the trans. This might be the worst vehicle I have ever owned and as far as I am if McGuire did their job, I might have saved the trans.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yikes. My condolences on the loss of your hard earned cash. I have heard tell that there is another, more robust transmission GM could have gone with, yet decided not to. My guess is this one was cheaper.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I do know our trucks seem to have a torque converter issue. However, based on your problems, the injectors and whatever they are doing may have caused your issue with the torque converter.

My question though: they never did figure out what the problem is with the injectors, right? You said you could see that the ECM/ computer was shutting them off for a second or so, which isn't normal. Sounds like an electrical issue to me. Do you know if your wiring harness is chaffed by the drivers front wheel cause it sure sounds like this is probably your issue, or something you should look in to. Here's the link to it here on this site: Wire Chaffing Issue

I haven't noticed an issue on my truck, and I don't believe every truck has the issue, but many have. I would say it's worth looking in to.

Also, I hate to say it, but if you get this issue fixed, unless you REALLY love your truck, I would probably sell it and get something different that isn't a lemon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never found the original problem with the injectors cutting out causing the bucking. I am convinced that the bucking is what took out the torque converter. The dealer and corporate engineers giving up and saying "working as designed" killed my trans. When the torque converter started to go, the bucking stopped, probably because the truck was accelerating differently. I did check the wiring harness where it tends to rub through. No issues, but I did wrap it in rubber tape to make sure it doesn't have that issue later. If the truck was driveable now, I would just trade it and be done, but the way it is running, it has almost no value.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Man, reading all these negative threads really has me scared. My truck is right around 62k and it's also a 16. I have noticed that when going into 3rd sometimes it whines out just a tad. This started happening after the "scheduled" transmissions service. My truck is just about paid off and I was hoping to get 300k plus out of it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man, reading all these negative threads really has me scared. My truck is right around 62k and it's also a 16. I have noticed that when going into 3rd sometimes it whines out just a tad. This started happening after the "scheduled" transmissions service. My truck is just about paid off and I was hoping to get 300k plus out of it.
Mine has had the bucking issue since about 55K and I think that is what caused the problem. If anything happens that starts hammering the trans, don't let the dealer and corporate tell you it is "working as designed"and your trans should be fine. If "Whines Out" means it is just shifting a bit later, but still a solid shift, it is probably just the computer relearning, these things seem to be sensitive to trans fluid changes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts