Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
What're you trying to accomplish as far as ride? Since you have to tear apart the strut in both those applications the bilstein is the far better option.
Here's how those break down

The bilstein 5100 is a shock that will accept your factory coil, you dissaseble your factory coilover (strut- interchangeable terms) and rebuild it with the bilstein shock in the middle. You gain adjustable ride height but you've done a lot of work to just change the shock, the bilstein doesn't come with a spring installed, you put your factory spring in it. The ride height is changed by adjusting the preload, so the taller you go, the stiffer the ride gets. (Fox is adjusted the same way) essentially you're building a budget coilover kit similar to the fox offering. The fox is a drop in replacement with an application specific eibach spring installed. My brother is an engineer at fox so I've been to the factory and I love their stuff.

The rough country kit has a top plate spacer and a preload ring. You get about 1.5" lift from the top spacer on top of your strut and you end up with a stiffer ride because you have to break down the coilover and stuff a .5" preload spacer inside your factory coilovers to get the full 2" lift. Increasing preload makes the ride stiffer. In my opinion this is the worst option because it's requires all the work to half-ass the job. However, there is a better cheaper option than the rough country in my opinion. It's what I went with. Auto spring makes a 2" top plate spacer. no strut disassembly and no changing the preload, so your ride doesn't get stiffer (lord knows it already stiff enough) so you keep the factory ride, just taller. There is also quite a bit less involved with the installation since it just sits on top of the coilover, also makes them cheap because they're simple. Me, knowing I wanted 2" of lift and my fox coilovers were back ordered I just slapped those in the truck and I've been happy with them.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I put a set of firestone airbags on the back and 2” lift on top the front struts. Pulls and drives great pulling 5000lb travel trailer
That is a great combination, has worked well for me in the last. Last row rig was a suburban and i did airlift 1000 air bags in the rear and added 1.5” up front and it towed level and sat perfectly for my taste

Thanks for checking out my thread

·
Registered
61 Posts
That is a great combination, has worked well for me in the last. Last row rig was a suburban and i did airlift 1000 air bags in the rear and added 1.5” up front and it towed level and sat perfectly for my taste

Rides and handles better than stock, great for towing no squat!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
thanks for the detailed post it's nice to see what others are doing and how it works out. I've lifted a few Jeeps, but never any of my trucks so I need to find out what works.
Rockcrawlerdude, what you think about this.

Bilstein 5100 front accommodate the 2" lift in the front. 2" shackle lift in the back with the same Fox Shox as you.

Or do you think I should do the RoughCountry 2" leveling kit in the front?
Nice looking truck!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have been looking at the autospring front lift leveling kits and the rear add a leaf. They offer a 2 inch, a 2 1/2 inch, and a 2 1/2 inch with differential drop kit. With both 2 1/2 inch kits giving the same lift, any thoughts on whether or not I should do the differential drop or not?

I want to do the add a leaf for a little lift and the extra load capacity. I’m pretty much sold on the rear, but am looking for advice and input on which of the 3 front kits I should go with.

I am not greatly knowledgeable on the subject of lifts.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I have been looking at the autospring front lift leveling kits and the rear add a leaf. They offer a 2 inch, a 2 1/2 inch, and a 2 1/2 inch with differential drop kit. With both 2 1/2 inch kits giving the same lift, any thoughts on whether or not I should do the differential drop or not?

I want to do the add a leaf for a little lift and the extra load capacity. I’m pretty much sold on the rear, but am looking for advice and input on which of the 3 front kits I should go with.

I am not greatly knowledgeable on the subject of lifts.

Thanks in advance!
I did their 2” lift and later on i added the differential drop to ease the angles on the cv boots. I posted on here somewhere the before and after angles of the CV boots. I’ll add the link here.

I don’t see a reason to avoid the diff drop since they don’t have any negative effects on clearance or anything else.

After installing the 2” kit I’m glad I didn’t go with the 2.5 because the control arms were just about maxed out at 2”. They were literally hitting the coilover buckets with everything put back together but without weight on the wheels. Obviously with the weight on it, The springs compress some but this doesn’t leave much wheel down travel left in the geometry.

This was just what I noticed on my truck and is my opinion.

I do want a little more lift (.5-1”) but i don’t see it without aftermarket upper control arms.

Diff drop
https://www.coloradodiesel.org/threads/who-has-done-a-diff-drop.2969/

Their rear kit is great

·
Registered
155 Posts
I did their 2” lift and later on i added the differential drop to ease the angles on the cv boots. I posted on here somewhere the before and after angles of the CV boots. I’ll add the link here.

I don’t see a reason to avoid the diff drop since they don’t have any negative effects on clearance or anything else.

After installing the 2” kit I’m glad I didn’t go with the 2.5 because the control arms were just about maxed out at 2”. They were literally hitting the coilover buckets with everything put back together but without weight on the wheels. Obviously with the weight on it, The springs compress some but this doesn’t leave much wheel down travel left in the geometry.

This was just what I noticed on my truck and is my opinion.

I do want a little more lift (.5-1”) but i don’t see it without aftermarket upper control arms.

Diff drop
https://www.coloradodiesel.org/threads/who-has-done-a-diff-drop.2969/

Their rear kit is great
I’m sold, I am going with the 2” lift with diff drop and the rear add a leafs. Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I put a set of firestone airbags on the back and 2” lift on top the front struts. Pulls and drives great pulling 5000lb travel trailer
I am really glad to see your post. I have a 2017 and was told by Airlift (whose air shocks i've used on my tacomas and loved them and the company) that they can't fit the diesel colorado because there isn't enough space between the springs and the frame. they said they weren't aware of any company making a air lift compatible with that truck for that reason. yours is the diesel, right? any problems with those air springs? would you mind providing the part number you used? thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am really glad to see your post. I have a 2017 and was told by Airlift (whose air shocks i've used on my tacomas and loved them and the company) that they can't fit the diesel colorado because there isn't enough space between the springs and the frame. they said they weren't aware of any company making a air lift compatible with that truck for that reason. yours is the diesel, right? any problems with those air springs? would you mind providing the part number you used? thank you!
I see you are asking same question I have been asking. Some here in the forum are saying they use airbags. When you ask what model/brand, no reply. I, too, called airlift and they told me same. Did you stumble on any new info?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any body using the bds four inch lift they are making them for the zr2 now and if you are can you post a pic interested to see how it looks I know I would have to switch to a 20 inch rim. That is ok because I wanted to eventually put 35’s on anyway. But I also was wondering about the shocks and if it is to much for them. Should I consider new shocks. Have really been liking the dash shocks.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts