Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase a 2016 Z71 Duramax 4x4. This is a 1 owner truck in showroom condition, 134K on the odometer. I have never driven a diesel Colorado before but getting on the freeway it felt more like a 4 cylinder gas motor. There is no noticeable hesitation & tranny shifts smooth, 2 things I was aware to watch out for. Vehicle also has full service records. With the trip meter showing a cumulative 15K the MPG displayed was over 25. This is why I want the diesel. I have no plans to tow, just want a good, reliable & efficient truck to last me a while.
Is my perception of a lack of power something that I should look into further? The truck is bone stock & when I purchase plan on going with a K&N performance air intake as mod 1.
TYIA for any information!

Jokerman
Phoenix, AZ

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been loving my diesel for the last year. The only things about it that feels like a lack of power is pedal delay. Other than that, I have a 7x14 trailer that is 2200 lbs unloaded that the first time I pulled, was amazed the truck wasn’t downshifting of some inclines I was traversing. I don’t think these trucks have a lack of power if anything the pedal control makes it feel that way and that can be easily fixed with a tuner.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I am about to purchase a 2016 Z71 Duramax 4x4. This is a 1 owner truck in showroom condition, 134K on the odometer. I have never driven a diesel Colorado before but getting on the freeway it felt more like a 4 cylinder gas motor. There is no noticeable hesitation & tranny shifts smooth, 2 things I was aware to watch out for. Vehicle also has full service records. With the trip meter showing a cumulative 15K the MPG displayed was over 25. This is why I want the diesel. I have no plans to tow, just want a good, reliable & efficient truck to last me a while.
Is my perception of a lack of power something that I should look into further? The truck is bone stock & when I purchase plan on going with a K&N performance air intake as mod 1.

Jokerman
Phoenix, AZ
Its a different type of power. It doesn’t get better with high rpm like a gas motor.
They make full torque at around 2000 rpm
I love the way my truck pulls when getting on the highway.
And the fact that it doesn’t downshift and scream it’s asss off when driving up hills.
Keep in mind it only has 180 hp but a lot of low end torque 369 pound feet
So when you plant your foot and the revs climb you are falling out of the sweet zone where the torque is..
And keep in mind its a tiny 2.8 litre
Also the truck is fairly heavy …
I think it’s a great combination of motor and truck.
I can’t believe how well it tows big loads.
Its been very impressive for the 3 years I have owned it.

ps
dont put the K&N in the truck
stick with a stock air filter…
change the oil more often than the truck tells you.
change the fuel filters more often than the truck says also…
Rob

·
Registered
22 Posts

Jokerman
Phoenix, AZ
I bought my 2016 Colorado new in may of 16, I pull a Winnebago 21' TT all over the western US, pulls like a champ, never a problem, mines totally stock 2 wheel drive.

·
Registered
380 Posts

Jokerman
Phoenix, AZ
Keep in mind 150K is the time to change the timing belt. This may be why the last owner decided to give it up so as to not have to pony up for the belt change.

These trucks run well don't stab the pedal, "roll into" the pedal about 50% to 60% and it will pull hard. Diesels in general are not explosive off the line like a gasser is. But the more load you put on them that harder they will pull. A gasser's power will fall off as it proceeds through the higher transmission gear changes. I diesel will shine the higher it gets into the gear changes and this is what makes them great truck motors.

As Coloraorob said don't do the K&N it just going to do nothing except drain your wallet and if it's a oiled K&N it will eventually screw up the massflow sensor by coating it with oil mist.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for feedback. Any idea what the cost is for timing belt change?
I'm actually shocked to see a belt in a diesel due to torque it develops. If the belt breaks will it eat valves?

Keep in mind 150K is the time to change the timing belt. This may be why the last owner decided to give it up so as to not have to pony up for the belt change.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thanks for feedback. Any idea what the cost is for timing belt change?
I'm actually shocked to see a belt in a diesel due to torque it develops. If the belt breaks will it eat valves?
Yes it is an "interfering" engine design all multi valve engines are these days.
I have read a few that paid to have it done and it was anywhere from $800 to $1200. You could do it yourself if you're mechanically inclined, there a couple of special service tools needed to do the job.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Its a different type of power. It doesn’t get better with high rpm like a gas motor.
And the fact that it doesn’t downshift and scream it’s asss off when driving up hills.
So when you plant your foot and the revs climb you are falling out of the sweet zone where the torque is..

ps
Rob
Excellent Advice... I concur 100%

·
Registered
12 Posts

Jokerman
Phoenix, AZ
You are to light on the pedal. I am a long time cummins owner. The cummins is still my tow rig but i can not say any thing bad about the baby duramax! Push on down on the pedal and go and you will be pleased. Now don't push it thru the floor but dont feather it that comes as it shifts from 3rd or maybe 4th.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Jokerman
Phoenix, AZ
This is no worry you are out of DEF fluid. Fill it up you'll love your truck

·
Registered
308 Posts

ps
Rob
"And the fact that it doesn’t downshift and scream it’s asss off when driving up hills. "

Mine is always quiet "enough", but I can lose 2 gears with my Escape bed hitch in the back, climbing hills, A/C, engine brake, cruise control on. At 57-62 m/h I end up at 35-3800 r/m. Did it today traveling from Bakersfield Ca. to the Cracker Barrel in Kingman Az. I watch trans temp the most, and it can get over 130F over ambient, but everything else is fine.

Reminiscing: Way back when I towed a bigger Coleman camper, 4 people, luggage, etc., with a '90 3.0/145HP Aerostar with dual air, 3.73 gears and the 5 speed manual. On hills, I shifted to 4th to stay at 70 m/h, and the van had a feature that turned off the A/C when loaded enough. Never figured out why, because it had plenty of engine cooling power. When you want A/C, you want A/C...!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts