Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, not completely new to the forums, just haven't posted for a while. I have recently searched the Web for the solutions for my trailer lights problems, and decided to ask for some good advice from you guys. The trailer lights I currently have on my Chevy, went off completely several days ago and now I'm not quite sure of what I'm suppose to do. I checked the wiring, which appeared to be a little rusty and inspected all the connectors, that seem to be a little loose. That's all I know. The question is - should I try to change the wiring completely to make the lights work, or do I simply need to purchase a new set of lights? Are the magnetic trailer lights ( at the moment I opt for this option) any better than wireless ones? Has anyone tried those already? Or should I better get a set of regular trailer lights?

Thank you for all your help.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'd hook the trailer up to another truck and see if they start working... If so then it's in you trucks wiring. If not it's the trailers wiring.
I'd start with the cheapest way of fixing it 1st.
Check your bulbs... You should be able to take the bulbs out and physically inspect each of them... You should be able to tell if they are burnt out or not.
Bulbs are cheap and If they are good then it's time to mess with wiring on the trailer.
If all else fails... I'd get a regular set of trailer lights. The magnetic lights will do in a pinch or if you don't use your trailer much... But if you do use it all the time... I'd personally get my trailer back up to snuff and have it fixed or fix it myself.
Just in my opinion of course.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had that problem, fuse in main box under hood was blown. Replaced that fuse and all my lights come on but the blinkers don't blink and the brake lights don't light up when the brake is applied. All lights on my truck work though, thinking the relay in the main fuse box now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Make sure you have power at plug in end at back of truck. If youve checked wires and connections on trailer which you say you did then try this. Put a wire wheel/brush on a drill. Shove it up trailer tongue where ball goes into and clean it out good. Then hook up to trailer and give your lights a try. May sound odd to some but it gets rusty/dirty in there.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Make sure you have power at plug in end at back of truck. If youve checked wires and connections on trailer which you say you did then try this. Put a wire wheel/brush on a drill. Shove it up trailer tongue where ball goes into and clean it out good. Then hook up to trailer and give your lights a try. May sound odd to some but it gets rusty/dirty in there.
I'll give it shot the first chance I get. Thanks for advice!

·
Registered
28 Posts
The hook up from ball to reciever acts as a ground. Let me know if it worked for you. I had trouble with an old trailer and guy showed me that. Thought he was nuts at first till my lights worked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts