Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first got my truck is was very quiet.
Since I been using it for towing more and more is getting noisy.
Sounds like a old Powerstoke.
My truck has 14,000 miles.
So has anyone else’s truck done the same?

Does this sound normal or is this thing aging faster than normal?

Before anyone asks
I change the oil every 3000 miles.
Still using Dexos 2 full synthetic diesel by Amsoil
Euro Dexos 2 Diesel oil

Rob

Rob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine has gradually gotten louder but not to the extent of the old diesels. Where you used to not know it was a diesel by the sound inside or out, it is now definitely diesel like. I now have 65K, and it is still quieter than most other diesels, just not like when it was new.

·
Registered
42 Posts
mines at 45k now and I have noticed a small increase in the diesel sound as well. regular oil changes at 5k,
about 3500 miles towing.
but still way quieter than other diesels.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had people actually mention that it is very load.
It really rattles just off idle as you go to pull away.
I can hear it inside the truck now also.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Our trucks rattle and make more noise I think than the new L5P engines in the full size Silverado’s and Sierra’s. I can’t say I’ve noticed the noise increase. However, I deleted and added a straight pipe at 45k so...hard to tell

But to the OP, I do not believe that the Amsoil oil you are using actually is Dexos2 rated. It may meet the specifications according to Amsoil, but if it doesn’t have the Blue Dexos2 badge on the front of the bottle then it isn’t approved. I had the same thought as you until someone more knowledgeable pointed it out to me.

So, should you have a warranty claim on the engine, they probably wouldn’t cover it. Like I said, I’m deleted and now over 65k and use Amsoil HD Diesel oil 5w40 but I have no more emissions bologna to worry about keeping happy.

One more thing, why in the world are you changing it every 3k when using Amsoil? That seems very wasteful. Just saying. Even with the PC prices they have, it’s still expensive.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Mine got louder after 10K and is still loud. Not as loud as the old diesel, but very noticeable as a diesel. The noise is fairly consistent though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts