Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll be that guy who asks what we all hesitate to even admit. Between my tendency to ignore the oil change reminder sticker (because it's not a hard deadline), and the reduction of activities and errands during Covid, and the usual procrastination, and even my Chevy dealer's adoption of an online service reservations system that doesn't actually work yet (and they didn't even return my phone call)... it happened... the DIC told me my oil is at 0%. And since this is the family trip vehicle, I did an out of town run on Sunday while praying I wasn't damaging bearings and journals and such.

I have all the DIY oil change stuff delivering in the next few days. But meanwhile, is this one instance going to bite me with premature wear if I run a couple more 10-20 mile errands around town before I complete the oil change? The manual says the indicator is based on factors like mileage, engine temp IIRC, and various actual metrics accumulated during use - so I realize this is a more intelligent warning than simple mileage.

To be clear, my intent is to stay well clear of this warning indicator and having the basic kit for DIY will keep me true.

·
Registered
122 Posts
IMO, you and your truck will be absolutely fine if you go a few miles past the indicated time. THink about it as a percentage 100/7500 = 1.3% extra. There's no way the system is so finely tuned or demanding that that small amount is meaningful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'll be that guy who asks what we all hesitate to even admit. Between my tendency to ignore the oil change reminder sticker (because it's not a hard deadline), and the reduction of activities and errands during Covid, and the usual procrastination, and even my Chevy dealer's adoption of an online service reservations system that doesn't actually work yet (and they didn't even return my phone call)... it happened... the DIC told me my oil is at 0%. And since this is the family trip vehicle, I did an out of town run on Sunday while praying I wasn't damaging bearings and journals and such.

I have all the DIY oil change stuff delivering in the next few days. But meanwhile, is this one instance going to bite me with premature wear if I run a couple more 10-20 mile errands around town before I complete the oil change? The manual says the indicator is based on factors like mileage, engine temp IIRC, and various actual metrics accumulated during use - so I realize this is a more intelligent warning than simple mileage.

To be clear, my intent is to stay well clear of this warning indicator and having the basic kit for DIY will keep me true.
I've found that remaining oil life drops by time not just mileage.
Twice I have tried going past the alert and the turbo bearings start making a racket.
I stop and change the oil which about a qt. low immediately. Bearing noise stops.
2016 with 38,000. it relaxes a lot.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Twice I have tried going past the alert and the turbo bearings start making a racket.
I stop and change the oil which about a qt. low immediately. Bearing noise stops.
Similar vehicle age and mileage. It seemed like I notice a bit of noise approaching 0%, but my family thinks I'm hearing things. I topped off less than 1/2 qt, all that it was low, but no change in sound. Anyway, I'm keeping my errands minimal and just watching the pot boil while I wait for the oil change kit to arrive. I'm so overdue to start doing this myself (and the dealer's service dept still hasn't called back a week later anyway). Thx all for the replies.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've found that remaining oil life drops by time not just mileage.
I've also noticed that as I get close to the 0% mark I am also getting a low oil alert that requires adding a quart. 2016 with around 50K miles.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've also noticed that as I get close to the 0% mark I am also getting a low oil alert that requires adding a quart. 2016 with around 50K miles.
NOT CRITICISM, but allow me to cloud yell some. Oil checking is an attitude. You start with every other fuel stop and adjust, based on what you find as far as use, and use versus load. My plan is for 400K miles, and I'm sure that my ride will be using more before then. But I'll see that and change check frequency, adding such that I'm never more than 1/2 quart low. Yes, it means either carrying add oil with you or remembering to add it at home.

You are in great company. When I oil check at a mega station I look down the line to see who else is. Usually, nada. Same with squeeging filthy windshields and lights. It only takes a minute or 5, and keeps you safe and better lubed. For fuel stops built for speed (COSTCO comes to mind, but ours don't carry diesel)), I would just race thru them and then make my checks at the full serve, before getting on a highway or going home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts