Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started following this guy on YouTube and he does some really interesting tests. He does it all himself and has no backing by any company. Just does it for fun and takes requests by his viewers. He recently did one I shared I think on diesel fuel additives for anti-gel purposes also.

This one is focused on 2 of the oils in his series of tests that performed the best, Amsoil and Pennzoil 5w30 oils. I don't use the Signature Series type of Amsoil, but I do use their 5w40 HD Diesel Oil. I knew I was using some of the best oil :cool:

·
Super Moderator
552 Posts
Been following him for a long time. As a retired QA/Engineering Lab/Test Technician, I can say he uses good methodology.

Reactions: Burgess159

·
Super Moderator
552 Posts
Dammit. I knew gold plated oil was better, but now I really have no excuse to cheap out.

Reactions: Burgess159

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, I think it was Cleverusername told me a while back that modern engine oils have superior additive packages in them compared to most additives. I don’t recall what thread it was in so I’ll post it here.

I had mentioned I ran Lucas in some vehicles and he said don’t do that, just run a thicker oil if you’re having oil consumption issues. I did and it seemed to help. And while the video below isn’t on Lucas but rather STP, I think it is relevant. It seems like a lot of additives for oil are still riding on their brand name from when they were first introduced and on people’s ignorance to keep selling the product.

Sure, oil probably used to need such additives. But now they come with them and additives seem to have negative affects instead. Just thought I would share. Also, I’m not saying every additive is bad, I just don’t think STP or Lucas are worth the money.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Love PF. That guy is awesome.

Reactions: oak1971
1 - 5 of 5 Posts