Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come to trust the % used oil change meter on our 2018 Z71. It seems to respond to periods of high and low loads, and I try to change oil at 35-40% left. But we took off, trailer attached the other day, and it froze for over 1000 miles. I reset it, and it is now being used up at what appears to be a normal rate. So, my next change will happen at 35-40% left, + my estimate of the freeze duration. Probably ~55% left. Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Long drives are better on oil than short trips, I doubt it was frozen and instead the rate of reduction in life was just greatly reduced compared to your normal driving. Just my $0.02 anyway.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Long drives are better on oil than short trips, I doubt it was frozen and instead the rate of reduction in life was just greatly reduced compared to your normal driving. Just my $0.02 anyway.
Thx DD, but I think it was frozen. After reset, the %age dropped at a rate comparable to previous trips with almost identical loads and drive habits. The next 1000 miles resulted in an almost 15% reduction in estimated useful oil life left. I can deal with sporadic freezes, but if there's a solution, I'm all eyes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts