Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm at 6500 miles and i'm showing 14% oil life remaining, I will wait until the service light comes on, before scheduling service for my first of 2 free maintenance appointments. For those with more miles driven, how many miles prior to your first service?
Thanks
I changed mine at 3500 on my own. Ordered my parts from Idparts as they had OEM filters and Dexos 2 oil in stock. That stuff is tough to find in local parts shops. Cheaper than dealer too. Subsequent changes at 7500 and 15000.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think if you, as I have said a handful of times, deleted the truck with tuning, then you would be alright to run a different oil (like the T6 5w40) and the computer probably wouldn't know or care, since the DPF isn't being used anymore. But, for all the rest of us who haven't done that, you have to wonder what might happen. I don't feel like GM will reflash the trucks for us if we do this on our own without their say so....x] I really don't think you will get any worse fuel economy with T6 either.

I actually checked the oil in my truck last night and with about 5000 miles on the oil, it's black. Like, as black as the oil we take out of 1 ton diesel pickups at work after they have pulled 8 ton anhydrous tanks all spring or autumn, and unfortunately we don't always change oil as often as we should....and my oil from my Canyon looks like that. All it's done is highway driving and pulling a trailer a few times for the past 5,000 miles.

I have thought that when I do change my oil, I might run Lucas with it. I have always ran it with all the other vehicles I have had when I did an oil change. Anyone else thought of doing the same?
Diesel oil will turn black ten miles after you change it. My 06 golf and 14 GLK are the same way. I suspect its the nature of diesels. Sampling is the only way to know the quality of the oil. After 5000 miles my golf oil tests very well and the lab suggests going to 10000 miles. I am a 5K change person and doing so has netted a trouble free 256K miles. I change at 5K on the MB GLK and 7500 miles on the truck. Try BlackStone Labs out of Indiana. They will send you sample kits for free, and the tests run are around 25-35 bucks. They give you a nice report and observations based on their engineers experiences.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Changed mine today at 5746 mi. Won't get to the dealer in time before long driving trip from central California up to Washington. I order Castrol 5w-30 EDGE (p/n 06159) 1qt x 6 btl case and ACDelco PF2262G filters from Amazon. Local guys don't have dexos2 yet.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Redline doesnt pay to be certified for said engines, but they are probably the best oil you can buy. To give you an idea of how good, on the ls1tech forums we had a guy named Pacman that would test oils and post up the results. He tested with redline showed it was still good at 10,000 miles, not even close to breaking down. He felt he could safely run it another 5000 miles, be he went ahead and drained it to start testing another oil.

This was back in 2004. I can only imagine how much they have improved their products by now.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My 1st oil change was at about 8000 miles.
The service shop called me when my oil said 0% and set up my 1st oil change.
I thought it seem like too long but they assured me it normal for a diesel.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My 1st oil change was at about 8000 miles.
The service shop called me when my oil said 0% and set up my 1st oil change.
I thought it seem like too long but they assured me it normal for a diesel.
The dealership service writers will say many things, however, the OC indicator in our trucks is not an accurate gauge of an oil's actual life.

Modern diesels equipped with EGR will cause an oil to break down much faster due to alkalinity depletion. Low ash oils like Dexos2 exacerbate the problem as the reserve alkalinity is low to protect the emissions systems. Once your oil breaks down and becomes acidic it will begin to cause internal corrosion and early wear. Oil sampling is the only accurate way to gauge your safe OCI and protect the engine.

I suggest you take the time to read this thread, as most of these concepts are explained in detail.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The dealership service writers will say many things, however, the OC indicator in our trucks is not an accurate gauge of an oil's actual life.

Modern diesels equipped with EGR will cause an oil to break down much faster due to alkalinity depletion. Low ash oils like Dexos2 exacerbate the problem as the reserve alkalinity is low to protect the emissions systems. Once your oil breaks down and becomes acidic it will begin to cause internal corrosion and early wear. Oil sampling is the only accurate way to gauge your safe OCI and protect the engine.

I suggest you take the time to read this thread, as most of these concepts are explained in detail.
That may be true for the most part... But most dealerships say things that make you have to bring your vehicle in more often... Not less often.
I believe even in the Owners Manual it says every 7500 miles. ( I could be wrong about that I don't have it in front of me at the moment)

When I got married I had to break it too my wife that you didn't have to change your oil every "3 months or 3,000 miles." It took me forever to teach her that was a gimmick to sell more oil. She wanted to change her oil after 3 months and she had less then 500 miles on the last oil change. She was taught wrong by her parents and once you are taught wrong its hard to break them of bad habits. Her folks would still argue with me 15 years later. I worked as a mechanic and I've worked at part stores... It was not uncommon for oil to sit on a shelf for 5 or more years... It doesn't just go bad sitting on a shelf. It take viscosity, friction and heat ect. to break oil down.

In our police cars we usually go 6000 - 7000 miles before oil changes and we are hard on our cars. lolol

Now they have oil you only change annually... Why is that? Is it better oil? Do you trust that?

·
Registered
128 Posts
That may be true for the most part... But most dealerships say things that make you have to bring your vehicle in more often... Not less often.
I believe even in the Owners Manual it says every 7500 miles. ( I could be wrong about that I don't have it in front of me at the moment)

Now they have oil you only change annually... Why is that? Is it better oil? Do you trust that?

Well it could easily be argued that yes, it is better oil. ALL cars that suggest 1 year intervals run blends, or full synthetic oils. it also depends on your oil, how much it will break down over time. it may be extremely minimal and may even be usable. I change mine every 5000 miles. I may spend more on maintenance, but I sleep better at night and that's why I do it. its your truck, your money, and your decision.

Just to be the devil's advocate
Also, in case you didn't know, very few people make money off of oil changes. what would make more sense. changing oil for little to no profit, or telling you not to worry about the oil change (leading to premature failure) and repairing the damaged vehicle for a pretty decent profit?

Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The dealers are just uninformed and talking out of their asses. They just say whatever come and out and people believe it cuz they work at the dealer.

My salesmen told me the seats were heated and cooled (cuz there are two buttons) but I was an informed consumer and already knew how it worked.

Heck, many of them are telling people that The auto four-wheel-drive switch is all wheel drive mode

·
Registered
128 Posts
yeah, a lot of salespeople are idiots. Chevy only offered cooled seats for 5 years anyway lol. now they are all ventilated, but not cooled.
Most dealers Replace, NOT repair

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well it could easily be argued that yes, it is better oil. ALL cars that suggest 1 year intervals run blends, or full synthetic oils. it also depends on your oil, how much it will break down over time. it may be extremely minimal and may even be usable. I change mine every 5000 miles. I may spend more on maintenance, but I sleep better at night and that's why I do it. its your truck, your money, and your decision.

Just to be the devil's advocate
Also, in case you didn't know, very few people make money off of oil changes. what would make more sense. changing oil for little to no profit, or telling you not to worry about the oil change (leading to premature failure) and repairing the damaged vehicle for a pretty decent profit?

Just my $.02

Well, I have a lifetime power train warranty on my truck... Which helps me sleep at night. lol

My whole point is, if the manufactures are saying every 7500 mile... you should be good for 10,000 miles. (no I'm not saying wait 10,000 miles) but if you are getting an oil change between 7000 - 8000 miles you will be safe. Car manufactures know that the majority of people do not get their oil changed as often as they should. So they expect people to go over the miles.

It's a gimmick... Don't be fooled... It's all about the money. Everything is about the money!!!
Just like making, taking off an oil sending unit or brake calipers, a special tool you have to buy. It's about money for tool makers.
(which pay the car manufactures to change the designs)
For 50 years it took a 1/2 inch or 9/16 inch wrench to change an oil sending unit on a car or truck... Now they make it a special design.
Making you go buy a new tool so you can change it yourself. It's all about the money.

Somebody should call Jiffy Lube and the other 7000 fast oil change companies and let them know they are in the wrong business.

Just FYI... In case you didn't know Oil change companies like Jiffy Lube, Pennzoil 10-Minute Oil Change, Duke of Oil, Terrible Herbst, Express Lube, Victory Lane Quick Oil Change, Valvoline Express Care, Grease Monkey, Super-Lube, Time-It Lube, Prompt 10-Minute Oil Change, Express Oil Change Engineers, Snappy Lube, American Lube Fast, and Valvoline ( just to name a few )
They are some of the fastest growing companies in 2014 - 2016.
There is huge money in the oil changing business

My buddy is one of the top guys at Jiffy Lube in Kansas... Saying he is wealthy is an understatement.
(which is where I got most of my information)

Even myself... If I can go to Wal-Mart for $15 for an oil change? Done!!! You can hardly do it yourself for that cheap anymore.

I do usually go to Jiffy Lube or Valvoline who gives me a 20% military discount and it usually costs me $40 but they check everything and top everything off for me... It keeps me from having to get underneath it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
yeah, a lot of salespeople are idiots. Chevy only offered cooled seats for 5 years anyway lol. now they are all ventilated, but not cooled.
Most dealers Replace, NOT repair
My buddy just got a 2017 GMC Canyon and he said it has cooled seats. So it must still be an option.
I'm thinking about going and seeing about having cooled seats installed.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The dealers are just uninformed and talking out of their asses. They just say whatever come and out and people believe it cuz they work at the dealer.

My salesmen told me the seats were heated and cooled (cuz there are two buttons) but I was an informed consumer and already knew how it worked.

Heck, many of them are telling people that The auto four-wheel-drive switch is all wheel drive mode

I agree with that... I rarely listen to a dealer.

I had a dealer, when I was out looking for a 2001 Trans Am, tell me how bad his 2001 Trans Am was. I asked him if it was an automatic or a stick... He said it was a 5 speed... WRONG ANSWER!!! I said so you have the 6 cylinder... He said no. I said they didn't make a V8 with a 5 speed. He then told me it must have been a special addition. Again... Wrong Answer!!! I let him have it and how he blew the sale... I said don't lie to me... I was like the 6 speed is the special addition!!! Stupid Dealers!!! lolololol

I tell people to do their research before buying anything!!!

The only Dealers I've dealt with that knew anything was the Hummer dealers... When I bought my 1st H3... They knew it all. Granted... That's all they sold where Hummers.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yep. Luckily I do my research and I had done so thoroughly, and driven two or three already. Mine was in auto 4x4 when I looked at it and he was standing next to me. I cranked it and put it in 2wd. He said no, you want to leave it in all wheel drive always. I told him "you ought to stop telling people that because you clearly have no idea how the 4 wheel drive system works" then he got in and told me the two buttons were for heated and cooled seats and I corrected him on that one. After that, I told him it was time to be quiet.

If you're doing it right, you sell yourself on the vehicle before you ever set foot on the lot. You should know what you're going to buy before you get there and check the inventory before you go.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well, I have a lifetime power train warranty on my truck... Which helps me sleep at night. lol

My whole point is, if the manufactures are saying every 7500 mile... you should be good for 10,000 miles. (no I'm not saying wait 10,000 miles) but if you are getting an oil change between 7000 - 8000 miles you will be safe. Car manufactures know that the majority of people do not get their oil changed as often as they should. So they expect people to go over the miles.

It's a gimmick... Don't be fooled... It's all about the money. Everything is about the money!!!
Just like making, taking off an oil sending unit or brake calipers, a special tool you have to buy. It's about money for tool makers.
(which pay the car manufactures to change the designs)
For 50 years it took a 1/2 inch or 9/16 inch wrench to change an oil sending unit on a car or truck... Now they make it a special design.
Making you go buy a new tool so you can change it yourself. It's all about the money.

Somebody should call Jiffy Lube and the other 7000 fast oil change companies and let them know they are in the wrong business.

Just FYI... In case you didn't know Oil change companies like Jiffy Lube, Pennzoil 10-Minute Oil Change, Duke of Oil, Terrible Herbst, Express Lube, Victory Lane Quick Oil Change, Valvoline Express Care, Grease Monkey, Super-Lube, Time-It Lube, Prompt 10-Minute Oil Change, Express Oil Change Engineers, Snappy Lube, American Lube Fast, and Valvoline ( just to name a few )
They are some of the fastest growing companies in 2014 - 2016.
There is huge money in the oil changing business

My buddy is one of the top guys at Jiffy Lube in Kansas... Saying he is wealthy is an understatement.
(which is where I got most of my information)

Even myself... If I can go to Wal-Mart for $15 for an oil change? Done!!! You can hardly do it yourself for that cheap anymore.

I do usually go to Jiffy Lube or Valvoline who gives me a 20% military discount and it usually costs me $40 but they check everything and top everything off for me... It keeps me from having to get underneath it.
No, a low ash Diesel oil will not last for 10K miles. That is 33% above the OCI recomended by GM. Low SAPS oils do not have the additive package necessary to last and protect a diesel engine equipped with modern EGR.

You don't know what your talking about, and have no data to back up anything in this quoted message. The manufacturers recommended OCI will protect the engine under IDEAL operating conditions, while also fitting in with the "green agenda". The idea that GM factors in extra mileage to protect the engine is your assumption, which is highly dubious at best.

Our 2.8 L trucks only have a 6 qt oil capacity, which is roughly 2.14 qts/Liter.

My 2.0 TDI has a 4 liter (4.23 Qts) oil capacity. which is roughly 2.12 qts/Liter.

These two engines are very similar in design and have nearly identical oil capacity per liter of displacement. Both are modern 16V OHC HPCR 4 cyl DI diesels equipped with EGR and VGTs. In fact, the 2.8 duramax uses the same turbo as a VW TDI.

I did one oil change in my VW TDI at the manufacterers OCI which is 10K miles. It was done as an experiment only, as both me and my mechanic did not think 10K OCI was safe. Based on this report, our reservations were correct. Now, all subsequent oil changes are done at 7000-7500 miles.

The oil used in this test was Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 5w30. It is premium full synthetic a low SAPS oil designed for modern diesels.

My driving cycle is typically 70% freeway and 30% city.

As you can see by the test results, the alkalinity of this oil is nearly depleted. The oil should be changed when your TBN reaches 2-3. This may have also contributed to the higher than average wear metals in this analysis.

If you want to protect your engine, do an analysis to calculate the OCI or change it early like Rockcrawlerdude does.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts