Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

Oil Change

55K views 100 replies 20 participants last post by  BigBob 
#1 ·
I'm at 6500 miles and i'm showing 14% oil life remaining, I will wait until the service light comes on, before scheduling service for my first of 2 free maintenance appointments. For those with more miles driven, how many miles prior to your first service?
Thanks

#84 ·
Well we have 4200mi. on ours and plan on doing 1 free oil change at 5000mi. to get factory/break-in oil out. Not a drop leaked or burnt as of yet and no RE-GEN cycle. So I'm pleased so far with this vehicle. Average 27mpg overall and have gotten as high as 31mpg if I keep it under 55 MPH.:)

#89 ·
Got to say, I'm at ~14K now and have never noticed or seen a message/display that a re-gen cycle was happening and the two services at the dealer so far haven't shown any weird error codes so it must be happening on the sly for me. My normal daily driving is short freeway hops at 60mph for about 10 minutes each so maybe things don't build up as quick.

#90 ·
Doesn't give you a message or anything. You'd never know it was happening if you're driving the whole time. If you know what to look for you can spot them... When you come to a stop you'd see higher idle rpm (900 vs 750ish) enough to notice. You also won't get 99mpg instant readout on deceleration fuel cut off during a regen. If you have a scanner, one of the pids is distance since regen, it'll reset to zero after a regen is complete

#94 ·
I do a lot of short trips. Longest regular trip is about 5 miles, otherwise .5-2 miles is regular. Every time my idle goes above 750, I take for a 30 minutes freeway ride and it does it's thing. All good.

The one thing I like about this truck is, its have been 3 weeks since it saw a gas(diesel) station. My tundra saw the gas station every week. And I do the same driving, .5-2 miles per trip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.