Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Check your PCV intake and inlet to the turbo. You’ll probably find your missing oil.[/

Wouldn’t there be oil all around it and I have none but I do have what seems to excessive oil in my charge pipes thinking about pulling the intercooler to see if it has a lot of oil in it

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Charge pipes, PCV, turbo, there is probably oil in all of it. When I added my catch can I checked the PCV and found oil all in there. A few months later after running the can I checked my turbo and have no oil in it. Haven’t checked the charge pipes though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got my 2019 colorado diesel brand new a few months ago august/september 2019.
At just over 4k mile the low oil light came on. I needed to add 2 quarts of oil to get the level to full. took it in to the dealer they said they couldn't find anything wrong. They had nme bring it back after 1000 miles. Second trip to the dealer they said nothing was wrong with it. At just over 9k miles the low oil light came on again. I didn't add oil this time and brought it to the dealer. They said it was 1.5 quarts low. They then wanted me to check the level every time I filled the truck with fuel and note the hash mark the oil level was at and the milage and bring it back in in 2000 miles. I did that and brought it back in in about 2400 miles. In that time the oil level had dropped to where it wouldn't even register on the dip stick. The dealer told me from my recorded level and milage it is with in the allowed consumption of 1 quart every 2000 miles.

This is incredibly irritating to me after four trips to a dealer to be told its normal and they will do nothing. At this consumption rate, it is ok for this thing to loose 1/2 its total capacity with in the oil change interval and still be acceptable by GM. The low oil light will could on twice before I need to change my oil. I even found in the owners manual that they want us owners to check the level every 400 miles or every fuel fill. Imagine if your salesman told you that when you were purchasing the truck. For me that means im checking my oil level twice a week. Not to mention to do this properly you need to let the truck sit off for 15 minutes. Then when the level gets to the bottom of the hash marks, add oil to fill it back up. That almost seems like they knew when these engines were designed they were going to consume oil. Others I know that have the same truck are not having the same issue, so I think its just a luck of the draw, and GM service and warranty is ZERO help if you are having excessive oil consumption.

Besides this "major to me" issue, I overall really like the truck, I average 30-32MPG according to the 450mile average!. The truck has tons of power, I catch myself hitting traction control if im not careful with the throttle, even at speeds as high as 30mph on wet roads. Its quiet, rides smooth, and is great in every other way.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Try a different type of oil to narrow down the cause of consumption. There are a number different Dexos 2 oils available in 0w40, 5w30 and 5w40.

My truck doesn’t use any oil when I had Mobil Delvac ESP 5w40 in the sump. I’ve been using Biosyn 10w40 for the last two intervals and it uses 1/2-3/4 quart in 7500 miles.

AcDelco changed the manufacturer of their branded Dexos 2 5w30 so it may be an inferior product.

you should consider changing your own oil as it is very easy on these trucks and you can use a better product.

Got my 2019 colorado diesel brand new a few months ago august/september 2019.
At just over 4k mile the low oil light came on. I needed to add 2 quarts of oil to get the level to full. took it in to the dealer they said they couldn't find anything wrong. They had nme bring it back after 1000 miles. Second trip to the dealer they said nothing was wrong with it. At just over 9k miles the low oil light came on again. I didn't add oil this time and brought it to the dealer. They said it was 1.5 quarts low. They then wanted me to check the level every time I filled the truck with fuel and note the hash mark the oil level was at and the milage and bring it back in in 2000 miles. I did that and brought it back in in about 2400 miles. In that time the oil level had dropped to where it wouldn't even register on the dip stick. The dealer told me from my recorded level and milage it is with in the allowed consumption of 1 quart every 2000 miles.

This is incredibly irritating to me after four trips to a dealer to be told its normal and they will do nothing. At this consumption rate, it is ok for this thing to loose 1/2 its total capacity with in the oil change interval and still be acceptable by GM. The low oil light will could on twice before I need to change my oil. I even found in the owners manual that they want us owners to check the level every 400 miles or every fuel fill. Imagine if your salesman told you that when you were purchasing the truck. For me that means im checking my oil level twice a week. Not to mention to do this properly you need to let the truck sit off for 15 minutes. Then when the level gets to the bottom of the hash marks, add oil to fill it back up. That almost seems like they knew when these engines were designed they were going to consume oil. Others I know that have the same truck are not having the same issue, so I think its just a luck of the draw, and GM service and warranty is ZERO help if you are having excessive oil consumption.

Besides this "major to me" issue, I overall really like the truck, I average 30-32MPG according to the 450mile average!. The truck has tons of power, I catch myself hitting traction control if im not careful with the throttle, even at speeds as high as 30mph on wet roads. Its quiet, rides smooth, and is great in every other way.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Try a different type of oil to narrow down the cause of consumption. There are a number different Dexos 2 oils available in 0w40, 5w30 and 5w40.

My truck doesn’t use any oil when I had Mobil Delvac ESP 5w40 in the sump. I’ve been using Biosyn 10w40 for the last two intervals and it uses 1/2-3/4 quart in 7500 miles.

AcDelco changed the manufacturer of their branded Dexos 2 5w30 so it may be an inferior product.

you should consider changing your own oil as it is very easy on these trucks and you can use a better product.

CleverUserName:
My truck is tuned with EGR shut off.
I will be installing PCV catch can next week. ProVent 200.
Truck uses no oil between changes.
Now that I am no longer burning oil from PCV, can I safely go to Rotella T6 or other HDEO and away from Dexos 2?
My belief is it should be Ok as no longer in combustion stream and therefore no issue with DPF fouling.
You seem to be the brightest guy here regarding oil.
TIA

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
You can always use HDEO in our trucks. It's not a matter of being "safe" as CJ-4 and CK-4 are both compatible with modern diesel emissions systems. HDEOs handle soot better and have enhanced Detergent and Anti-Wear properties vs. Dexos 2 type oils.

DPFs get fouled, they are filters after all. There is ash in diesel fuel which is the major contributor to DPF fouling. Ash content in oil is a secondary contributor. The Provent 200 will definitely help prevent the engine oil vapor and mist from getting burned.

Rotella T6 is popular and cheap. So is Delvac ESP 5w40 and Mobil Turbo Diesel Truck. All these oils should be good to 10K miles or one year of use with ULSD and EGR turned off.

If you wanna push it past 10K w/ just a filter change there are HDEOs that can handle that as well. Amsoil, Phillips Triton, Ravenol, Kendal SHP.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Have 28,000 miles on mine with the 2 dealer oil changes with whatever oil they put in and 2 more done by me with Penzoil. No perceptible change on the dipstick at any time. About 6000 miles between oil changes.

No engine mods done at all. 90% of the miles are interstate runs around 70 MPH.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Charge pipes, PCV, turbo, there is probably oil in all of it. When I added my catch can I checked the PCV and found oil all in there. A few months later after running the can I checked my turbo and have no oil in it. Haven’t checked the charge pipes though.
Yeah I do have oil in all those .. another question I know guys are switching to Rotella t6 are you using 5w 30 or 5w 40

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah I do have oil in all those .. another question I know guys are switching to Rotella t6 are you using 5w 30 or 5w 40
T6 is 5/40. It is not Dexos2 approved if that matters to you. Whatever you use, suggest using 5/40 instead of 5/30. I have been using T6 for awhile now with excellent lab reports.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
People who are out of warranty, don't care about warranty, or more so, deleted, are using non-dexos2 oils, such as Rotella T6. I personally use AMSOIL HD Diesel Oil 5w40. I have not sent a sample in for analysis so I can't tell you how it does. But I wouldn't switch to a non-dexos2 oil unless you have a deleted truck. I have heard people who have switched regardless but haven't heard how it turned out for them.

Plus side of switching to an oil such as Rotella T6, it has more protective properties for your engine, but, it generates more soot that will plug up your DPF more quickly.

·
Registered
179 Posts
People who are out of warranty, don't care about warranty, or more so, deleted, are using non-dexos2 oils, such as Rotella T6. I personally use AMSOIL HD Diesel Oil 5w40. I have not sent a sample in for analysis so I can't tell you how it does. But I wouldn't switch to a non-dexos2 oil unless you have a deleted truck. I have heard people who have switched regardless but haven't heard how it turned out for them.

Plus side of switching to an oil such as Rotella T6, it has more protective properties for your engine, but, it generates more soot that will plug up your DPF more quickly.
For what it is worth, Rotella, Amsoil and a host of other oils that may not be lableled Dexos2 because the manufacturers did not shell out GM's ransom for the privelege of putting D2 on their label, while they are designed to operate with DPFs.

My truck is intact tuned, EGR is off but the stock exhaust is still in place. Set up as such, the engine produces a lot less soot due to the hotter cleaner EGR free combustion. Instead of regenerating the DPF every 275 miles or so, it does it every 715 miles like clockwork. I am confident the DPF in my tuned and T6 lubricated truck deals with a far lower soot load and will last longer than the DPF in a stock truck does. The ash in the DPF comes from burning fuel, hopefully not burning a lot of oil.

I use T6 as it is easy to get at Wally World and it has proven to work great from my Blackstone reports, but Amsoil 5/40 is probably one of the finest oils one can buy for these trucks. Regardless, 5/40 is the way to go. If one looks at the history of the VM 2.8, 5/40 or 10/40 has been the recommendation forever. This 5/30 business is a comparatively recent deal, it is GM trying to eek out more fuel economy.

·
Registered
27 Posts

My truck is deleted with a turbo back exhaust so I should be good

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
For what it is worth, Rotella, Amsoil and a host of other oils that may not be lableled Dexos2 because the manufacturers did not shell out GM's ransom for the privelege of putting D2 on their label, while they are designed to operate with DPFs.

My truck is intact tuned, EGR is off but the stock exhaust is still in place. Set up as such, the engine produces a lot less soot due to the hotter cleaner EGR free combustion. Instead of regenerating the DPF every 275 miles or so, it does it every 715 miles like clockwork. I am confident the DPF in my tuned and T6 lubricated truck deals with a far lower soot load and will last longer than the DPF in a stock truck does. The ash in the DPF comes from burning fuel, hopefully not burning a lot of oil.

I use T6 as it is easy to get at Wally World and it has proven to work great from my Blackstone reports, but Amsoil 5/40 is probably one of the finest oils one can buy for these trucks. Regardless, 5/40 is the way to go. If one looks at the history of the VM 2.8, 5/40 or 10/40 has been the recommendation forever. This 5/30 business is a comparatively recent deal, it is GM trying to eek out more fuel economy.
I knew AMSOIL didn't pay to have theirs Dexos2 certified. So, there's a good chance it's okay for those trucks with DPF's still intact, but should something happen and you try to warranty at it, GM would shake their crooked finger at you I'm sure :confused:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I knew AMSOIL didn't pay to have theirs Dexos2 certified. So, there's a good chance it's okay for those trucks with DPF's still intact, but should something happen and you try to warranty at it, GM would shake their crooked finger at you I'm sure :confused:
Oh well. If something happens to either of our tuned trucks, the oil we are running will be the least of our problems with GM.

·
Registered
221 Posts
33,000 miles, just finished driving about 3300 on a fresh oil change pulling trailers, used about 1/2 quart over those 3300 miles. First time I ever had to add oil.

·
Registered
55 Posts
2016 Canyon at 63000 miles never added any oil. Have used Pennzoil 5w30 Euro L. Since 1500 miles dumped GM oil probably Mobil 1 esp.
Engine was driven as per Owner’s Manual breakin procedures. As an aside shell oil website does not recommend the Rotunda oil for a 2.8l.
They own Pennzoil. Have dealer change oil useing my oil or lately been doing myself. Don’t think GMC dealer lets old oil drain completely. Have averaged 28mpg using iPhone app.
Drivers Info screen slightly inaccurate.
Only repairs at 4 years battery and replace tires with Michelin Premier LTX that are outstanding at stopping in rain.

·
Registered
27 Posts
33,000 miles, just finished driving about 3300 on a fresh oil change pulling trailers, used about 1/2 quart over those 3300 miles. First time I ever had to add oil.
Since I have switch to rotella t6 5 40 seems like I have stopped burning oil on 7500 mile oil changes but keep in mind my truck is deleted so no filters to plug up

·
Registered
55 Posts
One of the unknowns is GM poor quality control. Costumer Reports ( based on owner surveys) rates Colorado, Canyon with almost the lowest consumer ratings of any current vehicle. I have GM zero deductible warranty until 120,000 miles so I am not overly concerned. Modern vehicles are designed to burn small amounts of oil. All of this oil burning 🥵 is mysterious to me. Only vehicle I every had that burned oil quart per 1000 miles was a 1973 Buick Estate wagon with 455 ci V8.

81 - 100 of 139 Posts