Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

121 - 139 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Just an update for everyone to ponder......
I have the crank case vent disconnected from the intake of the turbo. (PVC) I ran a hose down and tucked it into the frame.
I did this to stop the oil vapour from being able to collect in the inter cooler and eventually get into and gum up the EGR.
most people install a catch can. But I ran it into the frame.
When I first did this I notice that I could smell oil around the truck when it was idling..
I figured that I wouldn’t be able to leave it like this because it really was noticeable....
You could actually see a mist coming out of the hose.
Get this....
That was over a year ago. I don’t smell it or see any mist anymore....
I actually climbed under the truck to see if there was any air coming out of the hose. I thought it was plugged.
But, no there was air coming out but no mist of oil. I couldn’t figure out why it changed
It’s been over a year and still no mist.
I thought about this and came up with the answer.....
When the truck was misting oil I was using GM oil.
Then I changed to Amsoil.
This is not a commercial for Amsoil. I have been using Amsoil at every oil change and I still do not see any misting.
When I was reading the technical info and there bragging info about this oil they claim
(Advanced synthetic technology provides excellent viscosity control and outstanding extreme-temperature performance, while minimizing oil consumption.)
Just an FYI

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
My 2016 has 65k on the ticker, does not seem to be using any oil.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just an update for everyone to ponder......
I have the crank case vent disconnected from the intake of the turbo. (PVC) I ran a hose down and tucked it into the frame.
I did this to stop the oil vapour from being able to collect in the inter cooler and eventually get into and gum up the EGR.
most people install a catch can. But I ran it into the frame.
When I first did this I notice that I could smell oil around the truck when it was idling..
I figured that I wouldn’t be able to leave it like this because it really was noticeable....
You could actually see a mist coming out of the hose.
Get this....
That was over a year ago. I don’t smell it or see any mist anymore....
I actually climbed under the truck to see if there was any air coming out of the hose. I thought it was plugged.
But, no there was air coming out but no mist of oil. I couldn’t figure out why it changed
It’s been over a year and still no mist.
I thought about this and came up with the answer.....
When the truck was misting oil I was using GM oil.
Then I changed to Amsoil.
This is not a commercial for Amsoil. I have been using Amsoil at every oil change and I still do not see any misting.
When I was reading the technical info and there bragging info about this oil they claim
(Advanced synthetic technology provides excellent viscosity control and outstanding extreme-temperature performance, while minimizing oil consumption.)
Just an FYI

Which Flavor of their oil have you been using?

Thanks

·
Registered
342 Posts
Which Flavor of their oil have you been using?

Thanks
I was using there Euro GM Dexos 2
But if you notice Dexos is not recommended for extended oil change intervals like there regular diesel oil.
This tells me that C3 oil with its lower saps is not a great oil.
Low saps oil doesn't meet the higher standards of regular diesel oil.

I believe in today's Diesel engines the crank case ventilation system is where most of the oil is getting into the exhaust system. And that is why we need to use low saps oil to protect the DPF from ash that oil produces from being burnt....

I couldn't believe how much blow by was coming out that hose that runs from the valve cover to the vacuum side of the turbo (inlet).
By disconnecting that hose from the turbo inlet and running it down into the frame none of that oil vapour getting into the turbo and intercooler and especially the EGR and then being burnt and sent down the exhaust.

So
Now I use 3 litres of there signature series diesel oil and 3 litres of there euro Dexos 2 oil.
So a 50/50 mix

I also don't leave the oil in for a long time like the oil life meter or (Dic) says.
Why would anyone leave that Soot laden goo in the motor that long. It only holds 1 more qt that a regular car or truck.

And keep in mind that if your air filter is even slightly clogged the inlet of the turbo will actually suck oil vapour out of the motor... A dirty air filter will cause high vacuum on the crank case ventilation system.

Rob

·
Registered
247 Posts
I was using there Euro GM Dexos 2
But if you notice Dexos is not recommended for extended oil change intervals like there regular diesel oil.
This tells me that C3 oil with its lower saps is not a great oil.
Low saps oil doesn't meet the higher standards of regular diesel oil.

I believe in today's Diesel engines the crank case ventilation system is where most of the oil is getting into the exhaust system. And that is why we need to use low saps oil to protect the DPF from ash that oil produces from being burnt....

I couldn't believe how much blow by was coming out that hose that runs from the valve cover to the vacuum side of the turbo (inlet).
By disconnecting that hose from the turbo inlet and running it down into the frame none of that oil vapour getting into the turbo and intercooler and especially the EGR and then being burnt and sent down the exhaust.

So
Now I use 3 litres of there signature series diesel oil and 3 litres of there euro Dexos 2 oil.
So a 50/50 mix

I also don't leave the oil in for a long time like the oil life meter or (Dic) says.
Why would anyone leave that Soot laden goo in the motor that long. It only holds 1 more qt that a regular car or truck.

And keep in mind that if your air filter is even slightly clogged the inlet of the turbo will actually suck oil vapour out of the motor... A dirty air filter will cause high vacuum on the crank case ventilation system.

Rob
Yup I agree about no leaving it in. I just changed mine a few days ago the DIC was at 39% and most of that was probably due to time as I have a take home work ride. It was only 3500 miles on that oil change but I am going to pull my trailer next weekend so I just wanted to do it for my own piece of mind. I also changed out my fuel filters as they're 2.5 years old for the same reason. Thanks for your detailed answer....

·
Registered
342 Posts
That really sucks. I've heard from friends and family about new cars they purchased, from different manufacturers that have oil usage issues (Chevy 5.3L, Subaru, Mini and even Toyota). Newer, modern engines with tight tolerances should not use any oil. Period. I was hoping this current 2.8 would be a quality diesel. You are the first person to post of any usage.

Any Diesel with a DPF will require Low-Ash synthetic oil. This minimizes the ash load coming from PCV recovery system. If you have any emissions failures of the DPF system the dealer may try to blame your oil.

Mobil 1 Delvac ESP is cheap, readily available and is designed for diesels equipped with DPFs. https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9607363/00774
Not long ago Subaru, and others including GM tried to increase MPG by using low friction piston rings... These rings didnt have enough spring tension to wipe the excess oil off the cylinder walls. The result was oil consumption....
Along with low friction rings GM incorporated a really poorly designed cylinder deactivation system. The 5.3 we had at work was constantly turning on the low oil pressure light........ because it had burnt all the oil.....

I have a 2017 Subaru Outback and it doesn't use any oil between oil changes.
GM has redisigned the cylinder deactivation system and they also do not use the low friction piston rings....

·
Registered
247 Posts
Not long ago Subaru, and others including GM tried to increase MPG by using low friction piston rings... These rings didnt have enough spring tension to wipe the excess oil off the cylinder walls. The result was oil consumption....
Along with low friction rings GM incorporated a really poorly designed cylinder deactivation system. The 5.3 we had at work was constantly turning on the low oil pressure light........ because it had burnt all the oil.....

I have a 2017 Subaru Outback and it doesn't use any oil between oil changes.
GM has redisigned the cylinder deactivation system and they also do not use the low friction piston rings....
I get the progress thing, but, it sucks when you're the guinea pig and you get stuck with an expirment you didn't bargain for.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I get the progress thing, but, it sucks when you're the guinea pig and you get stuck with an expirment you didn't bargain for.
I totally agree.
I almost didn't buy a new Subaru because of friends saying they had to carry a case of oil with them at all times.
I follow car/truck mfgs problems and solutions closely.
GM with the first generation cyl deactivation system was a big failure for many. And they ignored there customers complaints. Subaru and GM ignored customer complaints of oil burning with the low friction ring issue... Other mfgs also but not as much complaints..
GM is ignoring complaints with the 8 speed transmission in the gas Colorado and Canyon.
And that transmission is used in some 5.3 litre trucks also .
It's so bad that GM is on the most unreliable truck list. Mainly because of the 5.3 Silverado. But the unreliability list doesn't say (with the 8 speed) So many will avoid GM....
This is really bad considering they are out selling Ford this Quarter..or last quarter can't remember......
But once this info gets out the F150 will be number one again....
How stupid can you get GM ?
I can go on and on...

BTW
My Subaru is a 6 speed manual........
I wouldn't consider any vehicle with a CVT... Not even at half price...

Rob

·
Registered
247 Posts
I totally agree.
I almost didn't buy a new Subaru because of friends saying they had to carry a case of oil with them at all times.
I follow car/truck mfgs problems and solutions closely.
GM with the first generation cyl deactivation system was a big failure for many. And they ignored there customers complaints. Subaru and GM ignored customer complaints of oil burning with the low friction ring issue... Other mfgs also but not as much complaints..
GM is ignoring complaints with the 8 speed transmission in the gas Colorado and Canyon.
And that transmission is used in some 5.3 litre trucks also .
It's so bad that GM is on the most unreliable truck list. Mainly because of the 5.3 Silverado. But the unreliability list doesn't say (with the 8 speed) So many will avoid GM....
This is really bad considering they are out selling Ford this Quarter..or last quarter can't remember......
But once this info gets out the F150 will be number one again....
How stupid can you get GM ?
I can go on and on...

BTW
My Subaru is a 6 speed manual........
I wouldn't consider any vehicle with a CVT... Not even at half price...

Rob

What's funny is, I have been driving for over 40 years and this truck is the first vehicle I have (excluding a Buick Grand National in my garage) ever owned with an automatic. It still kills me that I couldn't get it with a manual..... oh well life goes on... but it still sucks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
What's funny is, I have been driving for over 40 years and this truck is the first vehicle I have (excluding a Buick Grand National in my garage) ever owned with an automatic. It still kills me that I couldn't get it with a manual..... oh well life goes on... but it still sucks!
My Buick GN sits in the garage too, I find it leaks less oil that way..... LOL

·
Registered
247 Posts
man if they came with an optional manual trans that would be a stick as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been in the service industry for 20 plus years and you would think that newer engines would use less oil but in fact that is not the case. I have found that modern tech in these newer engines has infact increased oil consumption over the last 10 plus years. One of the guiltiest culprits is VVT in my opinion. We have been preaching to our customers to check your dam oil. We see quite a few come in for service with no oil showing on the dipstick. Luckily most newer vehicles also have a low oil switch that will come on to indicate when oil level is below safe operating level. If they weren't using oil than why did manufacturers increase oil pan capacties as well over these last few engine designs..

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've got 94k miles on mine and consumption has fallen over my ownership. I suspect there is some break-in that happens and the consumption falls as a result.

I leave my oil in until 35% oil life, back in the early days that'd mean .5 quart low. Today I'll hold it's level the entire oil change. Almost a bummer because I dose with Seafoam in the oil the last week before I change it and I never had to worry about overfilling, now I do.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've got 94k miles on mine and consumption has fallen over my ownership. I suspect there is some break-in that happens and the consumption falls as a result.

I leave my oil in until 35% oil life, back in the early days that'd mean .5 quart low. Today I'll hold it's level the entire oil change. Almost a bummer because I dose with Seafoam in the oil the last week before I change it and I never had to worry about overfilling, now I do.

Well now that's not such a bad problem to live with!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I’m posting an update for my 2017 at 48,000 miles. I pulled a 2200 pound trailer up and down numerous high elevation changes and then turned around after 1300 miles with a 6,600 pound trailer and returned back the same 1300 miles. I was down about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart. So far, the only time I lose oil is when towing a trailer. My wife’s previous daily driver was a 2014 Subaru Outback. At 50,000 miles it burned a quart every 3000 miles, not pulling trailers... lol. We traded it in on a 2019 Subaru. No oil burning with it so far.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I’m posting an update for my 2017 at 48,000 miles. I pulled a 2200 pound trailer up and down numerous high elevation changes and then turned around after 1300 miles with a 6,600 pound trailer and returned back the same 1300 miles. I was down about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart. So far, the only time I lose oil is when towing a trailer. My wife’s previous daily driver was a 2014 Subaru Outback. At 50,000 miles it burned a quart every 3000 miles, not pulling trailers... lol. We traded it in on a 2019 Subaru. No oil burning with it so far.
Subaru like many others tried using low friction piston rings. And like every other MFG including GM , had oil burning issues.
My wife has a 2017 Outback. No oil burning issues.

When you pull a trailer you rev higher there is more oil mist being created and sucked out threw the PCV, and I have noticed some oils make more of this oil mist than others and some thin out quicker than others.
If you follow GMs oil monitoring on the dic for oil changes your oil use may be normal.

·
Registered
221 Posts
When you pull a trailer you rev higher there is more oil mist being created and sucked out threw the PCV, and I have noticed some oils make more of this oil mist than others and some thin out quicker than others.
If you follow GMs oil monitoring on the dic for oil changes your oil use may be normal.
The truck worked really hard on the 1300 mile return trip that started with a run from Northern CA through Lake Tahoe and down 395 through the desert with 100 degree temps and several very long grade increases. From there it went from the Arizona desert finishing its trip at 9000 feet in New Mexico. At the end it went from about 4000 feet in the desert to 9000 feet in just 16 miles. It did all this pulling a 6600 pound trailer and about 500 pounds of cargo in the bed. It handled it very well for a little truck. 5/8 quart of oil ain’t too bad. Oil mist makes a lot of sense on this journey. Photo shows the end of the journey at 9000 feet. I do have add a leafs on the rear, which really made a difference.

While the trip went really well, I feel like the truck was at its limit. I had to be very focused. I don’t plan to push it this hard again.

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
The truck worked really hard on the 1300 mile return trip that started with a run from Northern CA through Lake Tahoe and down 395 through the desert with 100 degree temps and several very long grade increases. From there it went from the Arizona desert finishing its trip at 9000 feet in New Mexico. At the end it went from about 4000 feet in the desert to 9000 feet in just 16 miles. It did all this pulling a 6600 pound trailer and about 500 pounds of cargo in the bed. It handled it very well for a little truck. 5/8 quart of oil ain’t too bad. Oil mist makes a lot of sense on this journey. Photo shows the end of the journey at 9000 feet. I do have add a leafs on the rear, which really made a difference.

While the trip went really well, I feel like the truck was at its limit. I had to be very focused. I don’t plan to push it this hard again.
A Discovery on a Uhaul trailer. Yup that’s a load alright. U haul trailers are heavy as they have to withstand a lot of abuse.
I now what you mean when you say ..... at its limit....
Looks good though

121 - 139 of 139 Posts