Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greeting gents,

What this means is that it's just about impossible to tell how much above high level the oil is if it happens to be overfilled. In my opinion, the oil dipstick design is faulty because of it. In other words, once the oil goes above high level that is all it reads, regardless of how much extra oil is actually in the oil pan. Before someone says, "hey, you just need to look hard enough and you can tell" I come right back and say, "no you can't because you need a nice consistent and good surface to tell the difference between the actual oil level and that of the oil residue lining the guide pipe that gets transferred onto the oil dipstick as you pull it in and then out". So what it comes down to is that the readable part of the oil dipstick needs to extend beyond the full mark so that we folks can tell and not have to guess or assume where the oil level is if it already shows up to full mark. Am I making sense?

I say all this because in the past 3 years two of my relatives have bought brand new cars (Subaru and Volkswagen) and they both had too much oil according to dipstick (oil level a good 1/4" above max level). I checked their oil after cars been sitting for a good hour off. I know the Colorado manual says check oil after engine been off for 5 minutes, but that still doesn't change the the fact that the oil dipstick has a fault, as I just mentioned.

Conclusion: We cannot tell if there is too much oil in the pan!

The thing is, dealerships and people in general tend to aim for the high mark of the oil dipstick which makes it more likely to get an overfill condition. It be prudent to aim for the 3/4 full mark and it will do no harm as opposed to overfilling...even if just by a tad it could harm engine.

This is a problem for GMC/Honda and whoever else uses this dipstick design because it means their engine reliability will take a turn for the worst even though the engine may be well engineered and manufactured. All because owners and mechanics can't tell when they poured too much oil in...Yikes!

An interesting side note, the Colorado diesel oil dipstick is exactly the same as that of the 2018 Honda Ridgeline. I know this cause my brother just bought one and we compared; must be using same supplier!

Finker

·
Registered
133 Posts
FWIW, the way modern engines are designed, you would have to put at least another full quart extra before overfilling would be an isssue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I find that hard to believe because the oil dipstick level readout is ranged the way it is (a nice wide range so as not to overfill/underfill) for a reason. The vehicle user manual says that oil outside the acceptable range can inflict serious harm to the engine in the long run, thus effecting reliability.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The GM dipstick is a crappie design
I like the old style flat easy to wipe off and much easier to read design.
That said
A little over will not hurt anything. You need to be a lot over .
To much oil causes the crank shaft to splash in the oil.
This causes air to get mixed into the oil and increases crank case vapour.
Air bubbles in the oil can also lower oil pressure.
It does not increase oil pressure and blow seals out. Not sure where that wives tail came from.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts